Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

northwestsnow The former drops the Iberian heights whilst the latter maintains the Iberian Desert High at 1030mb.

Only one winner.

San Sebastian up to 22 degrees tomorrow.

Edited by mountain shadow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

It's  frustrating being stuck in this holding pattern waiting for possible ssw fallout at the end of the month and into March while the modelling waxes and wanes as to how that may play out.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

This up-coming SSW does appear to be strongly linked to the MJO & associated +MT events, particularly the East Asian Mountain Torque. A paper from, Balwin & Dunkerton 1992 titled "Stratospheric variability has important implications for surface climate" seems to suggest greater forecast accuracy of SSW events following MJO orbits through phases 6/7.

We've been in a slow meandering phase 7 for a little while now but the previous eastwards progression into the Pacific triggered a (albeit quite weak) +FT event, the slow phase 6/7 has helped to amplify MT quite significantly & more prolonged than the initial +FT would have led you to believe.

gltauf.90day.thumb.png.ae4890793604cebbed67342d88198cf6.pnggltaum.90day.thumb.png.367be6941341faad84326503bd39754a.png

This strong & sustained +EAMT has allowed for continued heatflux to deflect upwards into the stratosphere, unsurprisingly originating from the Himalayas (and to some extent N American mountain ranges) as per the first strat observe chart attached below.

gfs_nh-ehf-hgt_lonprs-xsect_20240213_f036.thumb.png.e0cbbd0aa1469d8cf1984e4c355f38f9.pnggfs_nh-ehflx_20240213.thumb.png.f07802819aa7f727bfb423f587ce40f2.png

What comes next in terms of predicting future weather is quite difficult. AAM anomalies continue to flux equatorward so despite a likely SSW & continued forcing from the MJO on the face of it suggesting high latitude blocking I'm still not convinced there'll be enough "oomph" to transition from an Atlantic ridge to a Greenland ridge.

I'm of the opinion that the late February cold weather will be more transient in nature, snow risks across N hills, perhaps along the N boundary of low pressure systems but by and large nothing out of the ordinary or exceptional, southern England once again probably struggling but determining the cold/mild boundary at this range is virtually impossible. Deep Scandi trough > Semi amplified Atlantic ridge seems the best bet currently. Colder than of late certainly, but widespread snowfall? Low likelihood from me currently.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

A SSW not entirely in the bag yet. The latest GEFS 0z mean forecast (blue line) barely reaching a reversal around the 19th Feb before mean zonal winds recovering:

ZMZWepsmean10hPa60N14Feb24.thumb.png.811660b05efa3ff2ce3a16782309a881.png

The members going for a reversal has fallen away from a peak of 87% earlier this week. At this stage not a favourable trend:

The SSW probability in GEFS is: 61%

Source: Weather is Cool: http://weatheriscool.com/

Yesterday's 0z 10hPa minimaps from Zac Lawrence (awaiting this morning's update) showed no members going for a split; so very much looking like a displacement event. This for the 20th Feb:

ZMZWgefs-ens_nh-gphells_010hPa_20240213_f180.thumb.png.78d8ed6f2fa9b8ccfb5afc804c66caa4.png

Source: https://www.stratobserve.com/ens_ell_minis

A displacement event not surprising given it's Wave 1 forcing:

ZMZWwave_serie1014Feb24.thumb.png.25808264e5257e8efe88ee6a2d2fd5a3.png

Edit: Lots of info & reading about SSWs to be found in the Netweather  Research library :
https://community.netweather.tv/learning/research/stratosphere-sudden-stratospheric-warming-ssw-r54/

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Clusters this morning, T192-T240:

IMG_8768.thumb.png.ee427bae2a79b1ca53ffb1f19c0353ec.png

All clusters bar 5 have a northerly component to the flow by T240.  Cluster 2 looks the most pronounced with a well placed ridge and trough.  

T264+:

IMG_8769.thumb.png.40b6e44195c21a3fff7b243bfea66c21.png

Clusters 1 and 4 develop a decent block, but it is not perhaps as far north as we would need for a significant cold spell, but both have promise.  Clusters 2 and 3 look like more transient ridging.  Still no obvious horse to back at this range!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

@Blessed Weather

Yes, I’ve been following these SSW charts all week and this morning’s update is not a positive trend. Some talk on twitter about a possible double dip SSW but that does not seem to be reflected within these charts. I’m no expert in this area so defer to those more knowledgeable. I think we are all hanging in the last chance saloon because of this potential SSW

Edited by Stephen W
  • Like 2

Posted

Blessed Weather

yes - the tech reversal at 10 hpa 60N is looking brief and doesn’t get much below 10 hpa at that latitude

image.thumb.png.f5fff61f14b6da7c3d57c83102a3bff9.png

however, it you look at the wider picture, it’s a large reversal 

image.thumb.png.1c83a7cc3a2c6185a73559cd7d93205f.png

and the gfs00z op still has a sig area of reversed flow by day 13

image.thumb.png.8d83e6030f7f333d85051294fedd3aed.png

the direction of travel on the movement of the spv fits with an active Atlantic feeding systems into a broad sceuro trough.  Possibilities for some wintriness but no sign of any deeply cold 850’s.  Elevation could do quite well. 

It does look like a split/displacement hybrid with the split v short lived indeed at 10 hpa whilst in the mid strat it is very evident and lasts a couple days.  The fairly rapid rejoining of the split looks to be responsible for the Atlantic jet strength and the upcoming nw euro trough.

the reversal up top due to arrive later today - not sure when it will be incorporated into the starting data but always worth looking out for any subtle changes once that has happened. The nwp should  have this by now though and over the past few days the drift towards the nw euro trough would seem to be the ‘’surprise’  that this reversal has delivered 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Difference between gfs0z and ecm at day 10 quite telling...

gfsnh-0-240(21).thumb.png.5fcbe5f1dacf2cf030d55d3b1b315933.png

ecmwfnh-0-240(5).thumb.png.5ca44ccf9958e58df0fb99fccdf72088.png

..looking at the jet you can clearly see the less amplified ecm..

gfsnh-5-240(1).thumb.png.66e8fb284a8193256559fca56721b7c7.png

ecmwfnh-5-240.thumb.png.83487cdca77b88f8372b35648dc104da.png

...you kind of just know dont you....

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
12 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

12z deterministic runs, Wed 14th to Tue 20th (day 7)

I don't think I've learned anything new at all from this afternoon's deterministic runs. We see the big purple blob forming to the south of Greenland by day 7, which the ensembles have been suggesting may end up traversing over to our eastern side later on.

animlmi9.gifanimesv2.gifanimzcn9.gif
animdks4.gifanimhkf0.gif

12z ensemble means, Wed 14th to Wed 28th (day 15)

And here we see that blob heading east from 21st Feb (day 8), though it is now not until around 26th Feb (day 13) that we see much of a trough to our east on the ECM and GFS ensemble means. Pressure seems to recover from the southwest after the blob has passed through.

animnee8.gifanimpyr9.gifanimxkn7.gif

Here is ECM ensemble member 46, which offers an explanation for what's happening between days 8 and 13 that I think is rather elegant:

animknf7.gif

0z deterministic runs, Wed 14th to Wed 21st (day 7)

Very little new to say as we watch the big purple blob approach... heights put up a little bit more of a fight on ECM than on GFS.

animktj2.gifanimuzl8.gifanimysq9.gif

0z ensemble means, Wed 14th to Thu 29th (day 15)

The big purple blob arrives on our shores on 21st (GFS) / 22nd (ECM) Feb. GFS has it produce a deeper low height anomaly into Europe than ECM.

The Atlantic ridge / Scandi trough signal that we had been seeing originally then duly arrives from around 26th Feb (day 12), but it doesn't stick around for long.

animsks7.gifanimkvp9.gifanimrre6.gif

Strictly just for fun, the ECM control run offers an illustration of what could lie behind the ensemble mean...

animujv0.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Weatherman_93

It really isn't that unusual for  temps to hit 16c with a longfetch southerly or south-westerly in February.  Not common I grant you but not that unusual.  we have already  hit 15.9 on 3rd.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Weatherman_93 yet more above average temperatures.  Boring rather then exciting. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
On 09/02/2024 at 19:25, Met4Cast said:

Teleconnections aren’t providing much in the way of clarity either, equatorward fluxing of AAM anomalies are I suspect, helping to strengthen/maintain heights to the south of the UK whilst MJO through phases 7 & likely into weak amplitude 8 suggests blocking of the higher latitude type, two evidently opposing signals & an occasion when the tropics & sub tropics are not aligned towards the same potential outcomes, i.e opposing signals playing havoc with both NWP modelling & our ability to forecast in the medium-extended range with any clarity or confidence. 

A potential SSW in the mix too only further complicates the picture. I think getting cold into the UK is going to be difficult, particularly further south and particularly during February. 

I just want to go back to this post last Friday & indeed much of this is now coming home to roost within NWP modelling. If you're on a northern hill there's a good chance you'll see some snowfall next week as a deep trough slides SEwards with a little amplification of the Azores high following behind, not much luck for those further south though.

The SSW has trended more towards a displacement event vs what had previously looked like a split event and as such, I'm not sure how much hope we can have on this being able to overcome other drivers (discussed in the quoted extract above)

A perfect example, if ever, that taking the MJO in isolation & not in the context of broader windflow budgets often doesn't produce the desired outcome.

• Like 2

Posted

TEITS

Very true Teits.  I think part of the problem is that SSW and the strat has moved into the simplistic media world added to this that we have had two gold standard ssw responses in the relatively recent past Dec 2010 and feb/march 2018. The former providing the coldest Dec in a hundred years and the latter the coldest such spell at thst time of year since 1845 and it is easy to see how everyone gets carried away. Add into the mix biased twitter based commentators and the hype just increases.

Even the oft quoted 66% figure bringing cold to the UK is I feel somwhat disengenuous as a dumping of snow on the usual suspects in Scotland  and Northern High ground in England can be classed as bringing cold and snow to the UK.

For me the test of a cold spell (and  this is honestly not just because of my location) is if a cold outbreak brings deep cold and /or snow to lowland southern England because then it is out of the ordinary  and beyond the realm of  a bog standard chilly outbreak with snow on high ground in the usual places.

As you say Tamara's unbiased posts that are made with out a required emotional outcome are valuable in keeping ones feet on the ground although even here Tamara's suggested shuffling hieghts scenario has not really come to fruition either and I say that with greatest of respect because it simply goes to show how ultra sensitive our uk based outcomes are to small changes in the background drivers.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Chesil View

To be fair to Tamara she's not infallible, even the professionals did seem to think the cold could well occur. It's just been one of those Winters hasnt it. 

• Like 6