Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

GFS strat split backed up by eps which must have a majority cluster showing it.

image.thumb.png.42ee4747fa17448047616945228982b3.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Cheshire Freeze

Can’t say I’m surprised by this as March always looked nailed on for N blocking to take hold.

I swear you're cursed - the promising charts seem to disappear every time you post.😄 🙃

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Gowon 🤣🤣😅

Exactly why I’ve always erred on the side of pessimism. Every time I let myself get mildly excited about something and think positively, the rug is pulled!

I once had a mate turn around to me and say, straight faced, ‘I think you might actually be cursed’!

Edited by Cheshire Freeze
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

In a way it's almost surprising how flat the 12z ensembles are looking. The mean is just totally uninterested in any deviation. Standard early Spring conditions apply, I guess.

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e(94).thumb.png.d3d53d2abce54cef95f9c1bef29ac929.pngecmwf-london-gb-516n-0e(65).thumb.png.5ee1d8ce5df69f8ae39feb0ef2c45e5c.png

Nothing to see here...

Posted

WYorksWeather That's not how it works though.

If you have 10 of something at +10 and 10 of something at -10, the mean would be zero but there is no actual instance of zero.

I look at those two diagrams and I see a lot of cold options balanced out by a lot of mild options.

That doesn't mean "nothing to see here" - what it actually means is there are a number of warmer and colder evolutions in the mix as you would expect in March which is typically a time when warmer and colder airmasses meet and co-exist close to the British Isles. At the moment, the number ans strength of the former and the latter are roughly in balance. 

That means uncertainty and a lot to be resolved both in the near term and especially so in FI.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted

stodge Yeah I get that. There's plenty of interest in the models in that sense. All I'm saying is that it's not all that inspiring - and we're at a time of year where average conditions are a bit devoid of interest. In December average conditions still bring snow to quite a few people on high ground, and of course in summer average conditions can be quite pleasant. But at this time of year, most people are either (like me) looking for the first truly spring-like spells of weather, or still looking for one last push for cold and snow.

And if you take those ensembles and put a cut-off on them for what would look interesting, maybe +5C or higher at 850hPa for likelihood of anything spring-like, -5C or lower for a late winter spell (maybe even -10C as we go later into March), there are only a few outliers that get into those ranges.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Cheshire Freeze said:

Exactly why I’ve always erred on the side of pessimism. Every time I let myself get mildly excited about something and think positively, the rug is pulled!

Well, there's the answer then.  Stay bloody negative about cold/snow and it just might come to fruition!! 🤫

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted

Big run at day 8 coming up on the ecm.. will it slide and open the door to the freezer?..no the low moved north and ruined the setup!..

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
Adding

Posted

I've a feeling this setup could upgrade yet! The ingredients are there, we just need things to align a bit better. It's not too late for disruptive snow, as was proved across Dublin yesterday

• Like 5

Posted
32 minutes ago, Crackerjack said:

To all the people saying no chance of southern uk snow now and upper air temperatures etc well here’s 2” of something this morning 😂 and still coming down (I’m at 150’ asl) ❄️

Amazon scenes!whereabouts is frampton?

Posted
1 hour ago, January Snowstorm said:

I've a feeling this setup could upgrade yet! The ingredients are there, we just need things to align a bit better. It's not too late for disruptive snow, as was proved across Dublin yesterday

A few runs from this morning..look particularly interesting..in the days 7-10 timeframe!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers

Crackerjack I’m in the south and I just got rain 💀

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM clusters again flirting with the easterly in the T192-T240 timeframe:

IMG_8829.thumb.png.c5478b4439f08777d6cf88c3c5a67c11.png

Both clusters 1 and 2 take the low to the SW on a very southerly track, allowing flow from the east or southeast across the UK, or part of it.  Together these are 46 of the 51 members.  Still fluctuating suite to suite, to be honest, as yesterdays 12z had more mild solutions.  You’d feel that with the strat situation as it is, the trend would against the Atlantic option, though.

And as I said yesterday, if we do get the continental flow, it may require some patience before any significant cold air heads our way.   

• Like 7