Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted

Diane oxbury gets my goat her face was really stern giving a forecast through clenched teeth her words were not all and I repeat not all will see snow the graphics say otherwise seriously need a change of forecaster! Rant over

The problem is this, temperatures are unlikely to drop tonight, and if anything they may climb upwards, turning marginal into otherwise rainfall. There a few factors at work here, and its by no means certain we will all see it.  That said, if your on high ground I think you stand a way better chance, then if you are down by the estuary. I think there is going to be a few disappointed faces in the morning when this thing does not deliver for them. If it does, it is likely to produce a fair bit of snow.

Not saying its beyond the realms of impossibility that everywhere should see heavy persistent snow, but the reality of the situation is likely to be what I said above, so with that in mind, I think she is probably in all likelihood going to be right when she says "not everywhere is going to see snow". The dew points, temperature and wind direction, and whether this low picks up warm air, is going to play a big factor in what we get, specifically at lower levels, where marginal is keyword for rain most times..but as i said, high ground, is probably going to look good.

all this ho ah for these temperatures makes me laugh :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Might be an idea to keep an eye on the Scotland, and Ireland regional threads, as this feature moves southwards over these areas.

It does look like we are looking at a low pressure system which will detach itself from the main low, becoming a cut off low. Whether it's a Polar Low by strict definition is very blurred.. but it will no longer be baroclinic in nature soon, and will rely on the thermal properties of the Irish sea to derive its energy. It could be a Polar Low, but the thing that matters is that it looks like delivering some rain, sleet and snow for our region.

Why have the met office not mentioned us in the warning then?

Posted

Great snow cover here in Mossley near ashton under lyne. Husband had the day off work!

Thought it was all over until this morning!

More snow falling now. Maybe I'll get the day off tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Seriously wish i didn't read this thread back from 6am today, looks like i missed out big time again, looks like most places in merseyside, cheshire and greater Manchester got a nice cover and south and north cumbria have snow cover at sea level but theres nothing at all in middle west cumbria, its UNBELIEVABLY FRUSTRATING constantly missing out on widespread snow events. Now wheres the nearest wall!!!! :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Clear skies here now and hopefully it will bring temps down to below zero before the polar low hit us.

Posted

I've cross referenced the current location of the low v the projected track using the high resolution net weather model.

I've uploaded it to YouTube

Snow map: http://youtu.be/2LXEhqoI-MY

Track seems about right so far to me a touch further east.

Won't work on i phone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Why have the met office not mentioned us in the warning then?

Is it not already included in the current warning? If they see a reason to update their warning, they'll do it as a now cast situation, these lows can't always be predicted so far in advance, and the warnings will reflect that, if they do indeed issue them.

Posted

Seriously wish i didn't read this thread back from 6am today, looks like i missed out big time again, looks like most places in merseyside, cheshire and greater Manchester got a nice cover and south and north cumbria have snow cover at sea level but theres nothing at all in middle west cumbria, its UNBELIEVABLY FRUSTRATING constantly missing out on widespread snow events. Now wheres the nearest wall!!!! :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:

Merseyside got a few flakes that did not last long, and by the time it covered, it uncovered due to snow melt which happened quickly..no accumulation at all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

and i will get absolutely nothing from that polar low, i fully expect it to break apart in 2 halfs and i'll be in the dry gap.

Posted

Seriously wish i didn't read this thread back from 6am today, looks like i missed out big time again, looks like most places in merseyside, cheshire and greater Manchester got a nice cover and south and north cumbria have snow cover at sea level but theres nothing at all in middle west cumbria, its UNBELIEVABLY FRUSTRATING constantly missing out on widespread snow events. Now wheres the nearest wall!!!! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

No snow in chorley mate.

Is it not already included in the current warning? If they see a reason to update their warning, they'll do it as a now cast situation, these lows can't always be predicted so far in advance, and the warnings will reflect that, if they do indeed issue them.

In the written bit I think it says west Scotland, NI, wales and midlands Edited by Spah1

Posted

I thought Diana did a good job she used the word snow only, she said it will fall where it wants and to expect 2 to 3 cm on low level and 5cm on high routes. Tomorrow is a rain event apart from high ground. I thought she did a good job. Usually she tell you its rain even if it's snowing outside.

God-it must be a polar low then!

Posted

and i will get absolutely nothing from that polar low, i fully expect it to break apart in 2 halfs and i'll be in the dry gap.

Ha ha. Oh man I thought I was bad but your worse. You need to move house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Merseyside got a few flakes that did not last long, and by the time it covered, it uncovered due to snow melt which happened quickly..no accumulation at all

instill have snowcover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Snow/hail showers yes, melted very quickly here though. Think North Liverpool had a covering

Posted

i read somewhere had an inch and he was from merseyside

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

I sir have experienced the exact same - horrible feeling is'nt it? especially when its something you feel passionate about....

Posted

I sir have experienced the exact same - horrible feeling is'nt it? especially when its something you feel passionate about....

I seriously think you don't live in Bolton.

Was it not snowing heavy 1 hour ago? It snowed heavy last night and first thing this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

Will this polar low reach up to Oldham way?

Are we too far north?

only parts of nw affected are merseyside, cheshire and north wales.

looks to be affecting mostly the south and west.

Absolutely, well and truly unbelievable.

Posted

I seriously think you don't live in Bolton.

Was it not snowing heavy 1 hour ago? It snowed heavy last night and first thing this morning.

I live in Bolton.

We have had sleet and rain showers all day.

There is no lying snow. There was half a cm this morning that melted quickly.

I have fared a lot worse than majority of people on here reporting decent snow accumulations.

I feel physically sick at the news that the polar low will not be hitting this part of the region and will now log off for good and drink a large volume of alcohol to numb the pain. 

Its quite difficult for me to take this as it happens repeatedly every year and I am quite passionate about snow. I drove 400 miles north last night essentially, for a bit of sleet.

Posted

I am totally baffled by everything!!

Everyone seems to be contradicting everyone else. For instance you say that above and yet Diane Oxberry forecast doesn't concur.

Some say it's a polar low, others don't.

Some say it will track this way, others say that way.

Someone said SW Midlands is the sweet spot and yet Jo Farrow says it will rapidly decay as it goes inland. Therefore SW Midlands won't be a sweet spot.

It's a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Doesn't look that way at all if you are following the radar! Nevermind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Thunder, Heatwaves.

We awoke this morning to nought in Kendal. Mostly fell in North Cumbria. Carlisle, Penrith, Appleby and as far south as Shap. A6 Kendal to Shap closed all day. Couple of showers in Barrow lunchtime ish......but nothing that stuck. But hey-ho, that's just they way it goes. Happy for those who have all the same.