Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

@MattHugo81: Curly-swirly...Polar low-type feature (not an official one) set to bring some snow to SW Scot and NW Eng later today. http://t.co/Dtj6dGotTn

@GuyWood_: @MattHugo81 will it reach far enough East for us Matt, East Lancs?

@MattHugo81: @GuyWood_ - Tricky to say but yes it's possible. Few additional cm's possible later tonight.

I am totally baffled by everything!!

Everyone seems to be contradicting everyone else. For instance you say that above and yet Diane Oxberry forecast doesn't concur.

Some say it's a polar low, others don't.

Some say it will track this way, others say that way.

Someone said SW Midlands is the sweet spot and yet Jo Farrow says it will rapidly decay as it goes inland. Therefore SW Midlands won't be a sweet spot.

It's a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Yep Kev,

I'd ignore to be honest. Not only are Polar Lows still quite a mystery, the tracks are also erratic.

In this flow though, it looks like it will enter the Irish Sea and track through the NW as per charts & forecasts, but it will do, whatever it wants to do.

Also, it IS a Polar Low, confirmed by the Met Office, you know, those PROFESSIONAL weather forecasters as opposed to some Amatuer ones claiming they are not so sure...

It's like Einstein telling you 1+1 = 2, but Joe Bloggs tells you it's 3.

Posted

I live in Bolton.

We have had sleet and rain showers all day.

There is no lying snow. There was half a cm this morning that melted quickly.

I have fared a lot worse than majority of people on here reporting decent snow accumulations.

I feel physically sick at the news that the polar low will not be hitting this part of the region and will now log off for good and drink a large volume of alcohol to numb the pain. 

Its quite difficult for me to take this as it happens repeatedly every year and I am quite passionate about snow. I drove 400 miles north last night essentially, for a bit of sleet.

What part of town are you?

You do realise some parts of Bolton are higher than other parts of the town. I'm up Chorley old road area of town and on a clear day I have a fantastic views of Manchester, Oldham and the Cheshire plains.

Now drop down several hundred feet and head into the town itself and you are quite low. Same for farnworth , kearsley and other parts of South Bolton.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I live in Bolton.

I have fared a lot worse than majority of people on here reporting decent snow accumulations.

I feel physically sick at the news that the polar low will not be hitting this part of the region and will now log off for good and drink a large volume of alcohol to numb the pain. 

Its quite difficult for me to take this as it happens repeatedly every year and I am quite passionate about snow. I drove 400 miles north last night essentially, for a bit of sleet.

Jesus, there are people starving in the world, people who live in abject poverty, please calm down - it is snow. No one knows for sure where the 'polar low' will hit yet, the ppn has it much further east than previously forecast, so might even affect you. We still have the whole marginality issue too, that's the fun of it. Sit back and enjoy, rather than taking this all so hard. There's more important things in life!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Looks like the ppn is heading right this way! We'll see... Temp 1.9c DP 1c, probably just be rain or sleet if it gets here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

I am totally baffled by everything!!

Everyone seems to be contradicting everyone else. For instance you say that above and yet Diane Oxberry forecast doesn't concur.

Some say it's a polar low, others don't.

Some say it will track this way, others say that way.

Someone said SW Midlands is the sweet spot and yet Jo Farrow says it will rapidly decay as it goes inland. Therefore SW Midlands won't be a sweet spot.

It's a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Lol. No point worrying anymore, so many differing ideas on it, it's a nowcast event for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Yet again I got home to see much more lying snow in Bacup than lower down the valley.

Today wasn't anywhere as deep as last Wednesday's big dump but we still have 8-10cm on the ground and it's still snowing on and off.

As for tonight's will it won't it event, the latest BBBC. forecast didn't dwell on anything other than the chance of a few showers and ice so it's either a non event or they will probably have to dig the excuse book out in the morning.

'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I live in Bolton.

large volume of alcohol ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

We awoke this morning to nought in Kendal. Mostly fell in North Cumbria. Carlisle, Penrith, Appleby and as far south as Shap. A6 Kendal to Shap closed all day. Couple of showers in Barrow lunchtime ish......but nothing that stuck. But hey-ho, that's just they way it goes. Happy for those who have all the same.

theres snow on the a595 cam at bootle which is like 2/3 miles inland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Merseyside got a few flakes that did not last long, and by the time it covered, it uncovered due to snow melt which happened quickly..no accumulation at all

Very nice covering here!  :D

It's all white here, only about 1cm deep, better than nothing. Snow has stopped now

Hail and light snow now giving a covering

Heavy snow, everywhere white @ 0.8C,

All from Merseyside, obviously mistook the 1 cm for 1 inch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

theres snow on the a595 cam at bootle which is like 2/3 miles inland

Thought it was my Bootle on Merseyside you where talking about then!

What's this about a polar low, missed any TV forecasts and not had a chance to read anything on here yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Here are some facts about a Polar Low.. to separate fact from fiction.

1) Polar Low is a mesoscale feature

2) Being a cold core feature, a Polar Low requires a large thermal input (from the sea) to keep it together

3) This means that if it does travel over land it will decay.

4) Polar Lows, in order to deliver snowfall must have a 500hPa temperature of -35C at least, preferably lower, and of course the usual 850hPa temperatures.

5) A true Mesoscale Polar Low, will not have frontal systems.. it will be defined by troughs.. much as a tropical depression. 

6) If it develops frontal systems it is no longer a Mesoscale system, ergo no longer a Polar Low as we define it.

Edited by SP1986

Posted

I live in Bolton.

Should have driven 40 miles to peak district we have had plenty of snow, schools still shut 2moro.

Posted

Predicted rainfall from MO app

post-19090-0-70429200-1422560479_thumb.j

post-19090-0-41861500-1422560492_thumb.j

post-19090-0-54200200-1422560501_thumb.j

post-19090-0-57780200-1422560513_thumb.j

post-19090-0-25032500-1422560527_thumb.j

post-19090-0-25955100-1422560543_thumb.j

Posted
I live in Bolton.

Its quite difficult for me to take this as it happens repeatedly every year and I am quite passionate about snow. I drove 400 miles north last night essentially, for a bit of sleet.[/quot

Just go for a walk up Rivington

Posted

instill have snowcover

not along the estuary, its been raining for a while, in fact the only snow shower today was for 5 minutes, there has not been any snow cover at all and from what i have learned much of merseyside has had no cover that has lasted for more than 10 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Please let it snow! Lol

post-9615-0-97866800-1422560732_thumb.jp

Posted

Here are some facts about a Polar Low.. to separate fact from fiction.

1) Polar Low is a mesoscale feature

2) Being a cold core feature, a Polar Low requires a large thermal input (from the sea) to keep it together

3) This means that if it does travel over land it will decay.

4) Polar Lows, in order to deliver snowfall must have a 500hPa temperature of -35C at least, preferably lower, and of course the usual 850hPa temperatures.

5) A true Mesoscale Polar Low, will not have frontal systems.. it will be defined by troughs.. much as a tropical depression. 

6) If it develops frontal systems it is no longer a Mesoscale system, ergo no longer a Polar Low as we define it.

Thanks for this. I am trying to learn!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Thought it was my Bootle on Merseyside you where talking about then!

What's this about a polar low, missed any TV forecasts and not had a chance to read anything on here yet

There's a special thread on it within weather discussion and chat

Posted

Predicted rainfall from MO app

Thats actually good for me, rain it is then.