Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Just for fun: Guess the year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Here's my next one.

The winter isn't described as a classic but each month featured some very potent cold snaps including a major snowstorm that affected the southern portion of the country in early January and a generally very cold February with further heavy snowfalls, particularly over the west Midlands early in the month. The spring featured exceptional contrasts in temperature which included a temperature record. The summer was fine and dry in Scotland but very poor in the south with the contrast biggest in August. Nonetheless July featured a very potent hot spell with some incredibly severe thunderstorms which wreaked havoc and cost lives. The autumn saw further extremes as September saw remarkable flooding and October had exceptional (but mostly forgotten) warmth. December was cold and there was a classic Christmas cold spell. 

Posted

B87 A similar year in some regards, but nope, not 2021

Posted
Posted (edited)

Onto the next.

While the winter was actually statistically unremarkable for temperature, it was unusual for the time period for having not a lot of snow. The spring was generally changeable and quite mild. There were some memorable thunderstorms in London in May. The summer started out unremarkably and even very nicely in Scotland, but quickly turned into a horrendous July. August didn't do much to save the summer either. The autumn was generally cool and changeable with some decent snowfalls in November. The below normal temperatures may have seemed another generally cool-to-cold winter was on the way but things drastically changed to remarkably mild in December.

Edited by LetItSnow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Okay, I'll bite.

The year started with a mild winter, February in particular being very mild and having several daily records that stand to this day. March and April were actually a bit below average and saw the only snowfall in the south for the whole "winter". In early May however it warmed up a lot and there was a notable warm spell. The May overall is one of the warmest on record. Unfortunately this didn't last as this summer is notoriously poor with August in particular being dull, wet and cool. Autumn was also a bit wet but not exceptionally and was also cool, so plenty of crisp mornings later on. December continued with this trend being cold and dry especially in the SE. This winter would go on to have the most significant snowfall event in England since the early 90s.

Clues:

Labour government

Leap year

LetItSnow! Clues?

Posted

CryoraptorA303 Yeah, 2008 easily

I don't give clues, they make it too easy haha. but maybe my memory is just too good lol

Posted

I'll have a go.. overall a very dry year and colder than normal It began mild but a cold snowy end to January ushered in a lengthy colder period with lots of easterly winds. Significant snowfall in places in February with a cold very dull wintry March. April brought a bit of warmth but May was very cold. A decent summer with early heatwave in June, but nothing very hot thereafter. The autumn was very average, November brought early snowfalls followed by a cold snowy December especially late on. 

Posted

damianslaw 1996!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

here is mine  - 

Jan & Feb were cold and snowy

spring was cold and wet esp March and May

summer June and July were rather warm and thundery esp July...August wet and cool

autumn was fairly average all round 

Dec dry foggy and mild

Posted

1963?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

cheeky_monkey Is it 1979?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Another one....

The year started with an average to mild winter with average rainfall.

Spring started with a very warm March, followed by an average April and cool May. All 3 months were very dry and dull.

The summer started off spectacularly, with a very warm, dry and exceptionally sunny June. Everything changed in July, which was cool, very wet and very dull. August continued the very cool, wet and dull theme.

Autumn started with an exceptionally cold and dull September. October was fairly close to average but on the dull side. November was cold, with near normal rain and sun.

The year ended with a cool, dry and dull December. The 2nd half of the year was exceptionally dull.

Posted

B87 nope not 1974. first one that people automatically haven’t got interestingly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
Posted (edited)

LetItSnow! 1988 or 1993?

Edited by B87

Posted

B87 1988! Correct

Posted

"It must have snowed most wonderfully to have made that depth of covering in about eight hours. For one of Master Stickles’ men, who had been out all the night, said that no snow began to fall until nearly midnight. And here it was, blocking up the doors, stopping the ways, and the water courses, and making it very much worse to walk than in a sawpit newly used. However, we trudged along in a line; I first, and the other men after me; trying to keep my track, but finding legs and strength not up to it. Most of all, John Fry was groaning; certain that his time was come, and sending messages to his wife, and blessings to his children. For all this time it was snowing harder than it ever had snowed before, so far as a man might guess at it; and the leaden depth of the sky came down, like a mine turned upside down on us. Not that the flakes were so very large; for I have seen much larger flakes in a shower of March, while sowing peas; but that there was no room between them, neither any relaxing, nor any change of direction".

Clues - spans two years and before our time!