Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Greenland Autumn Temperatures

WBSH

Posted

Mid-day temperatures 31-10-62: Fredricksheb -2, Egedesminde -6, Upernavik -7, Nord -27, Daneborg -22, Cap Tobin -18, Angmagssauk -5, Narssarssuak -4, Aputteq -13.

Posted

Hi all,

Sorry I wasn't able to do this yesterday. Its just that I have been extremely busy. In fact i'm suprised i've managed to find time to write this :(

Nick :)

Posted

I can't be too long but I will post this afternoons temperature for the four respective 'towns'...

Nuuk 0c , Narsarsuaq 0c Nord -26c Summit -34

WBSH :(

Posted

Greenland mid-day temperatures 1-11-62: Fredricksheb -1, Egedesminde nr, Upernavik -6, Nord -32, Daneborg -32, Cap Tobin -20, Angmagssauk -12, Narssarssuak -3, Aputteq -14.

Posted

Greenland mid-day temperatures 2-11-62: Fredricksheb 1, Egedesminde -4, Upernavik -8, Nord -22, Daneborg -16, Cap Tobin -7, Angmagssauk -10, Narssarssuak -3, Aputteq -14.

Posted

1:50pm WGT for Nuuk and Narsarsuaq

Nuuk

weather: cloudy

temperature: -2c

wind: WNW 7mph

pressure: 1003

Narsarsuaq

temperature: -1c

wind: ENE 2mph

pressure: 1004

12pm WGT report for Summit. I'm sorry to say but there is no record for Nord today.

Summit

temperature: -40c :doh:

wind: calm

WBSH :doh:

Edited by WBSH

Posted

Nord 3pm WGT

temperature: -19c

wind: WNW 20mph

pressure: 1002

Nuuk 2:50pm WGT

temperature: -3c

wind: NE 21mph

pressure: 979

Narsarsuaq 2:50pm WGT

weather: drifting snow

temperature: +3c

wind: ENE 63mph

pressure: 970

12pm WGT report for Summit.

Summit

temperature: -40c

WBSH

Edited by WBSH

Posted

Greenland mid-day temperatures 3-11-62: Fredricksheb 0, Egedesminde 1, Upernavik -6, Nord -32, Daneborg -23, Cap Tobin -15, Angmagssauk -6, Narssarssuak -3, Aputteq -8.

Posted

Good evening. Whilst I've been viewing this site anonomously for the past 12 months or so, I've not posted anything until now. I don't have as much to say as a lot of you seem to, but I am a cold/snow lover just like the vast majority of you on this site. I enjoy very much reading the stories about other people's snow, etc, but am also rather jealous of you Northerners. I live in Stansted, and the best snow I've seen here for a long time was the M11 snow 2 winters ago. The reason why I'm making my first post on this thread, is because I'm interested to hear, from Rollo and WBSH (I'm not picking on you chaps for any reason other than you seem to be the main reporters from Greenland), why they think that the temperature on a mountain in Greenland in October/November is to have a bigger influence on our prospects of a cold winter than the temps in Siberia/N Russia/N Scan. Would it be a good idea to have a thread with temps reported from those areas. Thank you for your help.

Simon

Posted

Hi Simon, welcome to this site, im not sure colder temperatures on a 'mountain' in greenland is more/less important than colder temperatures in the Siberean region or Eastern europe/Scandi closer to home. I'm just with the assumption that if greenland cools down suffiecently then come the N'ly blasts in Jan/Feb (assuming we get any!) they should have more bite... A cold greenland at the moment though means a warm/mild British isles but im thinking more in the long run...

WBSH

Posted
Hi Simon, welcome to this site, im not sure colder temperatures on a 'mountain' in greenland is more/less important than colder temperatures in the Siberean region or Eastern europe/Scandi closer to home. I'm just with the assumption that if greenland cools down suffiecently then come the N'ly blasts in Jan/Feb (assuming we get any!) they should have more bite... A cold greenland at the moment though means a warm/mild British isles but im thinking more in the long run...

WBSH

Morning Nick and welcome to NW Simon, the reason I am posting the temperatures from 1962 is,as you know that winter was one of the worst of the twentieth century and BFTP and Nick are trying to make comparisons. I was fortunate to be old enough in those days to remember it all vividly and like so many here yearn for something similar. regards Mike.

Posted

Hello again. I do realise why you are quoting these figures, and they are interesting, but most of our very cold and prolonged weather has nearly always come from the E, not the NW. I can't quite remember 62/63, I wasn't quite old enough - in fact I wasn't born then, but my Father endlessly retells stories - which are interesting. I looked up the daily temps of different locations, and Tyne and Wear, which is where he comes from, did not appear to be as cold as some southerly regions.

Posted
Hello again. I do realise why you are quoting these figures, and they are interesting, but most of our very cold and prolonged weather has nearly always come from the E, not the NW. I can't quite remember 62/63, I wasn't quite old enough - in fact I wasn't born then, but my Father endlessly retells stories - which are interesting. I looked up the daily temps of different locations, and Tyne and Wear, which is where he comes from, did not appear to be as cold as some southerly regions.

You are quite right simon,the south was considerably colder than further north,looking at the met charts london had several sub zero days while here in newcastle only a few but the temperatures remained low enough for snow to remain on the ground (outside the city centre) until early March. As regards to easterly weather being colder than northerlies,it does depend how cold continental europe is at the time and it was very cold indeed back in 62/63.

Posted

Nord 3pm WGT

weather: partly cloudy

temperature: -21c

wind: SW 4mph

pressure: 1000

Nuuk 2:50pm WGT

weather: overcast

temperature: +5c

wind: E 9mph

pressure: 969

Narsarsuaq 2:50pm WGT

temperature: +7c

wind: E 25mph

pressure: 063

12pm WGT report for Summit.

Summit

temperature: -26c

Posted

yeah tell me about it! I think this is due to a strong low pressure system dragging up warm air with it. Theres a thread about it on the extreme weather section...

WBSH

Posted

Greenland mid-day temperatures 4-11-62: Fredricksheb -4, Egedesminde -1, Upernavik -6, Nord -27, Daneborg -13, Cap Tobin -13, Angmagssauk -8, Narssarssuak -2, Aputteq -9.

Posted

Greenland temperatures mid-day 5-11-62: Fredricksheb -7, Egedesminde -5, Upernavik -3, Nord -23, Daneborg -18, Cap Tobin -11, Angmagssauk -3, Narssarssuak -4, Aputteq -5.

Posted

3pm reports WGT

Nord

temperature: -24c

wind: SSW 18mph

pressure: 1003

Nuuk

temperature: 0c

wind: Var. 1mph

pressure: 987

Narsarsuaq

temperature: +7c

wind: E 13mph

pressure: 985

Summit

temperature: -33c

wind: SE 2mph

WBSH :D

Posted

Hi WBSH,while this is a Greenland thread I'm just wondering whether I could post some temps from a few sites in the Scottish highlands as well as Lerwick???

Anyway:

5th November:

Cairngorm(1247M):

Max:4C

Min:-2C

Great Dun Fell (847m):

Max:7C

Min:3C

Glen Ogle (564m):

Max:8C

Min:3C

Lerwick:

Max:9C

Min:8C

Posted

Greenland mid-day temperatures 6-11-62: Fredricksheb 0, Egedesminde -4, Upernavik 0, Nord -26, Daneborg -8, Cap Tobin -9, Angmagssauk -1, Narssarssuak -4, Aputteq -4.

Posted
Hi WBSH,while this is a Greenland thread I'm just wondering whether I could post some temps from a few sites in the Scottish highlands as well as Lerwick???

Yes, no problem mate :blink:

3pm reports WGT

Nord

temperature: -28c

wind: SW 7mph

pressure: 1011

Nuuk

temperature: -3c

wind: NNW 15mph

pressure: 1002

Narsarsuaq

weather: n/a

temperature: +1c

wind: NE 2mph

pressure: 996

Summit

temperature: -36c

wind: SE 1mph

Posted

3pm reports WGT

Nord

temperature: -28c

wind: SSW 8mph

pressure: 1019

Nuuk

weather: scattered clouds

temperature: -7c

wind: NE 4mph

pressure: 1005

Narsarsuaq

weather: clear

temperature: -4c

wind: NW 10mph

pressure: 1000

Summit

temperature: -29c

wind: E 2mph

WBSH :(

Posted

Greenland mid-day temperatures 7-11-62: Fredricksheb -5, Egedesminde -5, Upernavik -5, Nord -25, Daneborg -6, Cap Tobin -6, Angmagssuak 2, Narssarssuak -2, Aputteq -3.