Paul Hudson

Lisa Gallagher

Daniel Corbett

Edited by pottyprof

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

My top 3 has to be:

1 Rob McElwee

2 Dan Corbett (ooh, don't forget to pack an umberella... the numbers are low today...)

3. Helen willetts - Well it's a good way to wake up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
My top 3 has to be:

1 Rob McElwee

2 Dan Corbett (ooh, don't forget to pack an umberella... the numbers are low today...)

3. Helen willetts - Well it's a good way to wake up!

Hi Great Plum,

Like that about the Muppet and Yes seeing Helen makes my day !

C

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
Just thought it might be interesting to see what forum members view as the best presenters. Spanning the decades here is my top 3.

1. JACK SCOTT (good old Jack, anybody else remember him ) Drew his own charts and I tell you what, he was usually spot on. Of the old school, a gentleman and one of the best.

2. IAN McCASKILL..brought humour to the charts. Came up the hard way, working threw the ranks from weather observer to media star ! John Holmes who will vouch for Ian's qualities, having worked along side him ,knows Ian did not have it all rosey in his life but was certainly very entertaining and a good media presenter.

3. HELEN WILLET..the lovely Helen, star quality and the cold rampers Snow Queen. The best of the current lot.

Carinth

Hi everyone, only just found this thread,

My top 3 forecasters are

1..Jack Scott, yes carinth, i do remember Jack Scott well, those were the days, i was only a kid then, i used to try and copy the pressure charts from off the TV, but i had to be quick, as in those days, video recorders were just a dream.

2..Ian McCaskill, a great forecaster with great personality, shame he retired so early.

3..Rob McElwee, my no1 present day forecaster, mainly because he seems to love cold weather and snow.

Paul

Posted
Hi everyone, only just found this thread,

My top 3 forecasters are

1..Jack Scott, yes carinth, i do remember Jack Scott well, those were the days, i was only a kid then, i used to try and copy the pressure charts from off the TV, but i had to be quick, as in those days, video recorders were just a dream.

2..Ian McCaskill, a great forecaster with great personality, shame he retired so early.

3..Rob McElwee, my no1 present day forecaster, mainly because he seems to love cold weather and snow.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Good choice for the first two. I am not sure about Rob,seems a nice guy, but not very convincing at times. But thats just my opinion.

Cheers

Carinthian

Posted

1. Ian McCaskill

2. Michael Fish

3. Peter Cockroft

As for the current forecasters

1. Dan Corbett

2. Helen Willetts

3. (joint) John Hammond & Alex Deakin

Posted

I've noticed Dan Corbett is not nearly as 'comical' (for want of a better word)

recently. What I mean is, his voice has changed markedly over the last few weeks

and he has less of the 'funny' phrases in his vocabulary.

Has this got something to do with the Met Office? It's a shame as I looked forward

to his weather presentations and humourous phrases.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted

All time dons: -

1. Ian McCaskill ("showers, showers, showers" :huh: )

2. Michael Fish - Needs no introduction

3. Rob McElwee - Alernative, quirky, has a fresh look at things. You either love him or hate him.

Current faves: -

1. Phil Avery - Well presented, good use of charts, very authoratitive but genial.

2. John Hammond - Affable, concise and good coverage given to regions.

3. Helen Willets - Nuff said! :whistling: (Why do we all FANCY HER???!?) I mean, she's not exactly beautiful, but there is something about her that is sooo attractive.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
I've noticed Dan Corbett is not nearly as 'comical' (for want of a better word)

recently. What I mean is, his voice has changed markedly over the last few weeks

and he has less of the 'funny' phrases in his vocabulary.

Has this got something to do with the Met Office? It's a shame as I looked forward

to his weather presentations and humourous phrases.

I've noticed that Dan's forecasts seem to go through phases stylistically - I suspect he'll throw in plenty of the catchphrases over the coming weeks and months.

Personally I always find him entertaining, whether he's using his catchprases or not - it's the way in which he presents his forecasts that makes them unique.

Posted
I've noticed that Dan's forecasts seem to go through phases stylistically - I suspect he'll throw in plenty of the catchphrases over the coming weeks and months.

Personally I always find him entertaining, whether he's using his catchprases or not - it's the way in which he presents his forecasts that makes them unique.

I like the way he says "day".

Posted

Hi ,

Modern day McCaskill ?

Posted

craig rich spotlight sowest ex navy good grasp of weather & tidel conditions

mike fish

john kettley

Edited by BARRY

Posted

I think Mcaskill was streets ahead of the others especially in the humour he showed,Bert Ford was very level headed in comparison but nowwhere near as much fun, perhaps in Mcaskill's days the weather was more interesting-I am sure the winters were.

Posted
I think Mcaskill was streets ahead of the others especially in the humour he showed,Bert Ford was very level headed in comparison but nowwhere near as much fun, perhaps in Mcaskill's days the weather was more interesting-I am sure the winters were.

Pedant's Corner: Bert Foord!

Regards

ACB

Posted

Yes, Ian's hay day was in the 80s. A run of great winter scenario brought the best out the laddie. I remember during a cold Easterly spell, Ian plonked on his News at Six chart a warm front heading west out the North Sea, but he described to the viewers " its about as warm as a polar bears picknick "

Happy days

C

Posted

1. Jack Scott - this man taught me more about the weather as a child than could ever be possible today

2. Ian McCaskill - took such relish in the forecast, you knew he really loved the weather & wanted us to enjoy it as much as him.

3. Rob McElwee. The last of the old style met office forecasters. Loves the weather with a passion, would never ever say "at least it's mild". Loves to educate, inform & entertain.

Dave

Posted

McElwee - brilliant for us weather nerds

Willetts - sparky gorgeous and wonderful in every way

Francis Wilson - the best outside the bbc

On radio I remember a guy called Bob Pritchard at the london weather centre. he was also very good

Posted

yes, worked with him at Manchester, I think he has some involvement with TORRO, but not certain.

John

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous
I think I know what you mean! Helen's nice, isn't she?

The trouble is, you end up focusing your attention on the presenter rather than the forecast :o :o