Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SATSIGS

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Splendid stuff....can I be a sort of part time SW London spotter? I will allow you to call me PIPSQUEAK (Putney Implies Pathetic Snow Quantity Under Even Arctic...um...Konditions).

Incidentally, since there are so many over educated grown-ups in this not-so-secret-society, are we allowed to be (occasionally) pedantic without being accused of discouraging the youngsters.....and if so, can I point out, Stratos, that the acute accent in 'ingenue' is on the middle 'e', not the final one? And can we also be allowed to make lighthearted, even affectionate jibes without the absolute necessity of putting a smiley in to show we're not really being horrid? ;) Woops, that didn't last long.

Edited by osmposm

Posted

Does my denial of global warming and insistance that I get on average 17 days lying snow a year (2004-06) exclude me from the zone of sound Northern thinking? Cos accoring to the map, I live on the Northern edge of it?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Me thinks that this will be a busy season for the modeators of SATSIG, many an alert will be issued and many a virtual suicides be made, but at the end of the day, people should stop worrying because IT WILL SNOW AT SOME POINT THIS WINTER, except in Abingdon which will endure a record mild and snowless winter due to the undeground volcano releasing gas and heat.

Given the trends at 384 hours out, i think that a level 1 alert should be issued.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
except in Abingdon which will endure a record mild and snowless winter due to the undeground volcano releasing gas and heat.

Now there's a thought. Maybe I'm venting too much gas and hot air?

Posted
Splendid stuff....can I be a sort of part time SW London spotter? I will allow you to call me PIPSQUEAK (Putney Implies Pathetic Snow Quantity Under Even Arctic...um...Konditions).

Incidentally, since there are so many over educated grown-ups in this not-so-secret-society, are we allowed to be (occasionally) pedantic without being accused of discouraging the youngsters.....and if so, can I point out, Stratos, that the acute accent in 'ingenue' is on the middle 'e', not the final one? And can we also be allowed to make lighthearted, even affectionate jibes without the absolute necessity of putting a smiley in to show we're not really being horrid? :rolleyes: Woops, that didn't last long.

Absolutely, I hope so...pedants of the world unite, I am humbled...smileytastic!

Yipee. Now that SATIG's back online it MUST mean Winter is here. :ph34r: :huh: :D

It certainly means that there are people here who think it is, and that it either is, or might be, bigger than it actually is!

Posted

JJBMcB, now we really do know that winter's a coming. Fantastic to have you back my rod wielding friend! We now can be sure that the right flank is secure for the season: Hurrah!

How is the rod?

I think we have the rumblings on a stage 1 ramp alert on the model discussion thread.

JJB

I shall go check the sensors forthwith.

Posted

I'm wondering if there's a real-time SATSIG's map in the offing like last year?

When I reported sleet falling in W-s-M in late-October 2005 and someone else reported sleet in Bristol,

even though the temperatures were +10c, this ended up on the map.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted
I'm wondering if there's a real-time SATSIG's map in the offing like last year?

When I reported sleet falling in W-s-M in late-October 2005 and someone else reported sleet in Bristol,

even though the temperatures were +10c, this ended up on the map.

Well, it was a case of a domino-ramp, a rare phenomenon that previously seemed to be restricted to the southern environs of Glasgow - a kind of ramp one-upmanship.

As I recall there was a "hot spot" around Brisole - there was the M4 ramp corridor I seem to recall, which deviated southwards towards Gatwick and some place near Brightown.

Posted

There is a settlement called Rampton, dangerously close to the zone of sound northern thinking:

http://www.multimap.com/map/places.cgi?cli...ksearch=rampton

Meanwhile, Rampside is firmly embedded in OONshire and shockingly Rampisham is in Dorset, adjacent to the south-west mild-spot:

http://www.multimap.com/map/places.cgi?cli...uicksearch=ramp

Posted

That little revelation has just made me let out rather a long and exasperated phewee-stylee raspberry. I wonder if there's a RAMPTON NEW TOWN somewhere near Telford, or a NEW RAMPTOON, just outside Glasgow.

I think Ramptown deserves a special mention on the first SATSIG "state of the rampnation" chart.

Ramptastic piece of research though.

FOOTNOTE...

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted

Some non-snowfall records from recent years:

-- 35 cm did not fall in Great Rampington on 25 nov 2005.

-- 18 cm was not observed lying on grassy surfaces in the London borough of Whiteover on 23 Feb 2005

-- the great easterly blizzard of 27 Jan 2006 left a whopping 0.1 cm just outside Rampe, Essex.

-- trains were forced to maintain regular speed by the 0.0 cm snowstorm that struck Rampborough and the nearby village of Blue Circle, in the north of England, some time around March or May of any recent year.

-- food had to be dropped by helicopters when snow search teams alerted by a TV forecast clogged the M4 between Swindon and Bristol in the harsh non-winter of 2002.

-- drifts of approximately zero metres were reported after the vicious cold rain of April, 2006.

:blink:

Posted
JJBMcB, now we really do know that winter's a coming. Fantastic to have you back my rod wielding friend! We now can be sure that the right flank is secure for the season: Hurrah!

How is the rod?

I shall go check the sensors forthwith.

Yes now the heat of summer has gone I've crawled out from under my rock. The rod is good, I've attached a pot of shrimps on the end of it which has added to it's potency. It will come in very handy when the models start struggling.

JJB

Posted

Worth noting that not only the Net-weather boards were affected last season

Over on BBC Slowwatch - SATSIGs alert may have been needed at Hedge End, nr Southrampton

Posted

A search for the SATSIGS Hq brought up any number of places dotted all over the country. The office of misinformation must be very proud.

http://www.multimap.com/map/places.cgi?cli...arch=satsigs+hq

Whilst there seems to be a strange fascination with "Stoke", Stuck in Argylle seems the most fitting.

Posted
I think a trend is already becoming established. Cold nights, with frost is already upon us, and it's early. Expect a very cold, and above average rainfall for this winter ! That means snow by the way, as it's going to be very cold.

Time to put Stoke Newington on the map.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted

Sorry, only just read this - very funny SF. I love it. Can't wait for the rampometer to start. Who will be first I wonder and when...

Brilliant! Still laughing!

:):) Moose

Posted

Surely the biggest ramp this year has to go to the residents of South Wales who in June pronounced that the snow had "Cambrian" early when light powdery stuff fell from the sky and delayed trains between Shrewsbury and Aberystwyth.

You can read the whole ramp here... :)http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/5402692.stm

Posted

Ahem. Glagow Southside notwithstanding.

Would these be at all useful?

(Could do a deal on a job lot.)

post-2575-1162936531.gif

post-2575-1162936546.gif

post-2575-1162936566.gif

post-2575-1162936586.gif

Posted
If i become susceptible to the annual 'Bet-ramp' fever around the 20th DEC again then i`ll end up here:

gallery_876_298_16808.jpg

Reading the model thread at the moment I'm afraid it's going to be rather crowded :)

Dave