Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SATSIGS

Posted

I think this post is the proper place for this. ;)

HINTERCASTING

A new trend has emerged, I note, amongst certain die-hards. It's not Wontercasting, which involves the use of extreme FI charts to pitch for 'obvious signs' of a pattern change. It is Hintercasting. Hintercasting is the ability to claim that when an event has not turned out as one originally thought, it was in fact forecast all along. Hintercasting enables the forecaster to change, retrospectively, almost any forecast, and any fact, to fit the situation: usually without any sign of moral pertubation. Hintercasting may sometimes involve references to previous statements that no-one can ever find or prove. Hintercasting is therefore perfect on Net-Weather fora.

Posted

HINTERCASTING

A new trend has emerged, I note, amongst certain die-hards. It's not Wontercasting, which involves the use of extreme FI charts to pitch for 'obvious signs' of a pattern change. It is Hintercasting. Hintercasting is the ability to claim that when an event has not turned out as one originally thought, it was in fact forecast all along. Hintercasting enables the forecaster to change, retrospectively, almost any forecast, and any fact, to fit the situation: usually without any sign of moral pertubation. Hintercasting may sometimes involve references to previous statements that no-one can ever find or prove. Hintercasting is therefore perfect on Net-Weather fora.

I think that more properly belongs in Urban words, though it opens up the potential for yet another category of "tremor", which is the ramped hintercast - Lord, this is getting confusing...

I foolishly had a look in Metcheck's forum last night, and there's some bloke in Hertford, whose name might rhyme with Rav, who would match anyone on here for being a head in the virtual snow wonter. His ability to cite, ad infinitum, each and every cold event, and present each one as irrefutable evidence against any climate change is quite awe inspiring.

Posted

RAMP ALERT

SATSIGs 1

SATSIGs has detected a short series of shocks this evening in a belt from Peterborough to Maidstone (well, two actually: one in Peterborough and one in Maidstone). There is apparently a correlation between Mrs Miggins selling out of mince pies and severe winters.

RAMP ALERT LEVEL 1

Wontercasting detected in the run-up to Christmas Day. Ramp alerts in evidence from Ireland and Scotland. Hitherto undiscovered realms of the celtic fringes said to be 'in line' for snowfall. This is on the basis that they're sufficiently far north/sufficiently high above sea level/sufficiently unknown* that no-one will dispute the claim for a white-out Christmas holiday. (*Delete as appropriate).

Unrelated and spectacular ramp detected from Essex - the snow centre of continental European cold. Essex said to be in the firing line from (so far invisible) cold blast from the Netherlands/Scandinavia/the Alps/Santa's grotto in Lapland* (*Delete as appropriate.) High Pressure Inversion ramp also detected from aforementioned county. Bitter cold inevitable from staggering inversion, the like of which seldom seen. Sod the warm 850 hPa's - ice days coming at ground level.

Edited by West is Best

Posted
RAMP ALERT LEVEL 1

Wontercasting detected in the run-up to Christmas Day. Ramp alerts in evidence from Ireland and Scotland. Hitherto undiscovered realms of the celtic fringes said to be 'in line' for snowfall. This is on the basis that they're sufficiently far north/sufficiently high above sea level/sufficiently unknown* that no-one will dispute the claim for a white-out Christmas holiday. (*Delete as appropriate).

Unrelated and spectacular ramp detected from Essex - the snow centre of continental European cold. Essex said to be in the firing line from (so far invisible) cold blast from the Netherlands/Scandinavia/the Alps/Santa's grotto in Lapland* (*Delete as appropriate.) High Pressure Inversion ramp also detected from aforementioned county. Bitter cold inevitable from staggering inversion, the like of which seldom seen. Sod the warm 850 hPa's - ice days coming at ground level.

Good spot there. Note the source was "Down South", presumably from the Kingdom of Endless Optimism which, legend has it, stretches in a narrow corridor south of London in the environs of the A21 / A23 - so legend has it, allegedly...

Very interesting to see some negative ramping coming from Peterboroughshire. Reverse psychology or what?

Very interesting to see some negative ramping coming from Peterboroughshire. Reverse psychology or what?

Indeed! I think you've hit the nail on the head there. When all else fails (and that seems to be the mood) then how about some reverse psychology? The PRP technique: Peterborough Reverse Psychology.

Something else I will keep an eye out for, when charts are perceived as being this poor, are the quasi-mystical posts: give up on science and turn to 'Mother Nature' instead, especially if she can be seen as a snow-benevolent force who always corrects things in the end.

Edited by West is Best

Posted
Indeed! I think you've hit the nail on the head there. When all else fails (and that seems to be the mood) then how about some reverse psychology? The PRP technique: Peterborough Reverse Psychology.

Something else I will keep an eye out for, when charts are perceived as being this poor, are the quasi-mystical posts: give up on science and turn to 'Mother Nature' instead, especially if she can be seen as a snow-benevolent force who always corrects things in the end.

I've been rumbled :lol: :lol:

Posted
I've been rumbled :lol: :lol:

Far from it: your moderation in adversity is admirable! A less Beasterly period of weather it would be hard to imagine...still, as I keep reminding myself - and even in these changing times - a correction will come sooner or later; hopefully, before the sun is overhead once again!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
Good spot there. Note the source was "Down South", presumably from the Kingdom of Endless Optimism which, legend has it, stretches in a narrow corridor south of London in the environs of the A21 / A23 - so legend has it, allegedly...

The A21 is just outside of this town, and I'd like to think that I am not part of the Kingdom of Endless Optimism, the Environs of a seaside town South of here in E Sussex may well be though.

Posted
The A21 is just outside of this town, and I'd like to think that I am not part of the Kingdom of Endless Optimism, the Environs of a seaside town South of here in E Sussex may well be though.

I did say "environs", perhaps I should have said "general environs". Is Bexleyheath near the A21? Can't think for the life of me where else you might have in mind...

Posted
I did say "environs", perhaps I should have said "general environs". Is Bexleyheath near the A21? Can't think for the life of me where else you might have in mind...

Bexleyheath more A2 or A20 I think, though like the A21, A22, A23 they all end up finishing in a seaside town.

Bexleyheath more A2 or A20 I think, though like the A21, A22, A23 they all end up finishing in a seaside town.

NOT near bexleyheath Sf.....

More tremours approaching SATSIGS 2 from the Peterborough region this morning.... The mere mention of the world Easterly escalates the situation to Code Amber ...

S

Posted
NOT near bexleyheath Sf.....

More tremours approaching SATSIGS 2 from the Peterborough region this morning.... The mere mention of the world Easterly escalates the situation to Code Amber ...

S

Yes my cautious/realistic approach has gone out of the window this morning.

I smell an E,ly in the wind or was it that dodgy chicken tikka I had last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

HINTERCASTING

Yes quote Bartlett for 6 weeks and bingo....still not there ;) Great self involvement there West ;) By the way hope your family member is fine.

BFTP

Yes quote Bartlett for 6 weeks and bingo....still not there ;) Great self involvement there West ;)

Not the thread for that BFTP.

However, as a SATSIGS monitor I feel duty bound to bring to people's attention the remarkable double vision appearing from certain members. This double vision involves with one eye hintercasting: turning adverse charts round to provide certain proof of a previous forecast. With this 'eye' a near miss, for example, can be construed from a piece of cold appearing anywhere, somewhere, in the northern hemisphere. It doesn't matter if it is thousands of miles away, it is still enough to show how close we came to the real thing. Over the other eye an eye patch is placed. Today's chart, replete with Bartlett, ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Not the thread for that BFTP.

However, as a SATSIGS monitor I feel duty bound to bring to people's attention the remarkable double vision appearing from certain members. This double vision involves with one eye hintercasting: turning adverse charts round to provide certain proof of a previous forecast. With this 'eye' a near miss, for example, can be construed from a piece of cold appearing anywhere, somewhere, in the northern hemisphere. It doesn't matter if it is thousands of miles away, it is still enough to show how close we came to the real thing. Over the other eye an eye patch is placed. Today's chart, replete with Bartlett, ...

I did say I hope your family member was fine :unsure: :D

BFTP ;)

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

I did say I hope your family member was fine :unsure: :D

BFTP ;)

Thanks BFTP - point taken! And yes he's ok. Well he's dying, but still had some quality time with him.

I really do think we're in serious Bartlett territory at the moment. Doesn't mean it will necessarily hold, but as soon as one thinks it's gone it's back again. But that's for another thread really!

Peace!

WIB

Posted

We're in danger of setting a new record for low levels of ramping. The northerly tracking jet really has put a dampener on thngs, and this settled spell is certainly preventing ay of the mobility that might release a bit more ramping.

The Tropical Rampless airstream during November / early Dec did little more than encourage my garden to start sprouting. What we need is an Arctic Rampfull flow with much more instability in it. Nothing like a polar low to introduce some seasonal perturbation into the threads, and before you know it we have a rampede. If memory serves me right it's about a year to the day since we actually came close to an official rampede warning, though I'm sure we got to SATSIGs 4: aahh, those were the days.

Posted
We're in danger of setting a new record for low levels of ramping. The northerly tracking jet really has put a dampener on thngs, and this settled spell is certainly preventing ay of the mobility that might release a bit more ramping.

The Tropical Rampless airstream during November / early Dec did little more than encourage my garden to start sprouting. What we need is an Arctic Rampfull flow with much more instability in it. Nothing like a polar low to introduce some seasonal perturbation into the threads, and before you know it we have a rampede. If memory serves me right it's about a year to the day since we actually came close to an official rampede warning, though I'm sure we got to SATSIGs 4: aahh, those were the days.

You see SF! Even though we take harmless pleasure at the ramping we miss it when it's not there! We need some FI action soon or SATSIGS will become a creature of myth & legend a sort of NW unicorn :)

Posted
You see SF! Even though we take harmless pleasure at the ramping we miss it when it's not there! We need some FI action soon or SATSIGS will become a creature of myth & legend a sort of NW unicorn :lol:

Actually, I'm going to take some comfort from this. Even a year ago a spell like this would not have been met with such equanimity. I would lay money that there would still have been a few on here ramping away.

Posted

Sadly all very true: despite careful monitoring of known rampede hotspots such as Hastings and Peterborough not a flicker of ramping can be discerned. Over enthusiastic reports of "sleet" in Telford are but a poor substitute.

Why, even those who parade the sacred charts of January 23rd 1947, December 26th 1962 and 12th January 1987 do so in an almost flippant ironic manner that insults such reliquaries.

One despairs...

Regards

ACB

Posted
Sadly all very true: despite careful monitoring of known rampede hotspots such as Hastings and Peterborough not a flicker of ramping can be discerned. Over enthusiastic reports of "sleet" in Telford are but a poor substitute.

Why, even those who parade the sacred charts of January 23rd 1947, December 26th 1962 and 12th January 1987 do so in an almost flippant ironic manner that insults such reliquaries.

One despairs...

Regards

ACB

That has to be the first time that word has been used on N-W?

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
Actually, I'm going to take some comfort from this. Even a year ago a spell like this would not have been met with such equanimity. I would lay money that there would still have been a few on here ramping away.

You know, I think they are learning.

Posted
Huge improvement in FI.

Straw clutching. Maybe. We have to start somewhere.

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?a...st&id=27992

Dont know what you guys think.

But I may have detected a slight ramp on last nights 18z.

I'm not certain how this one rates on the rapometer.

all the same I think it should be checked out by a senior ramper.

Brian! :):)

Edited by grab my graupels