Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SATSIGS

Posted
Dont know what you guys think.

But I may have detected a slight ramp on last nights 18z.

I'm not certain how this one rates on the rapometer.

all the same I think it should be checked out by a senior ramper.

Brian! :):)

It's a rampers chart, for sure..but what did he say? Last year there tended to be an "Irish zone of moderate purturbation" not far from Dublin. Sounds like it might be getting going again - either that or someone at Wz / GFS noted that we were all getting a bit bored and decided to throw one in to spice things up a bit.

Posted

This place is pretty much dead compared to last year. SATSIGs has remained dormant for the whole of December with really only 2 or 3 proper rampers.

Although ramping does get annoying eventually it gives this place some life. Otherwise its too depressing like right now.

Posted

RAMP ALERT

SATSIGs 1

Some large tremors this morning after a colder FI on the GFS. Comments explaining how it must be correct as its the 00z run and not the 'pub run' despite any actual evidence that either run is more reliable. Comparisons to January 1947 coming out of the woodwork despite the fact this winter has so far been like chalk and cheese.

Also in evidence is a complete disregard of the reliable timeframe, which shows polar vortex over Greenland, Bartlett and mild south-westerlies. Expect a return to zonality in the 6z run with suggestions of discarding the run and mass hysteria that winter is over.

Posted

...of course, it might just go the other way. or at least continue the theme. If nothing else it does continue the pattern of this winter which has continued more or less unabated for 6 weeks now: the cold airmass is always out beyond 300h, which given that absolutely none has materialised so far suggests that my theory that GFS is programmed always to show cold (like those fairground stalls that always promise winners despite the fact that you never see any with your own eyes) irrespective (or at least always to force a synoptic change within the 16 day period) may not be that wide of the mark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
RAMP ALERT

SATSIGs 1

Some large tremors this morning after a colder FI on the GFS. Comments explaining how it must be correct as its the 00z run and not the 'pub run' despite any actual evidence that either run is more reliable. Comparisons to January 1947 coming out of the woodwork despite the fact this winter has so far been like chalk and cheese.

Also in evidence is a complete disregard of the reliable timeframe, which shows polar vortex over Greenland, Bartlett and mild south-westerlies. Expect a return to zonality in the 6z run with suggestions of discarding the run and mass hysteria that winter is over.

i think this winter is more akin to 1988-89...dosnt bare any resemblence to 1946-47 wotsoever!

Posted

Awesome Northerley showing this morning!

This baby could well turn into an Easterly bringing copious amounts of snow

and bitterly cold winds.

And it's only 300hrs out. :)

Posted

Latest 18z F.I. prediction of a Scandi-high in F.I. threatens to increase SATSIGS from 0 back to a level 1 again. Steve Murr's post also threatens to stir up irrational hysterics amongst certain snow-starved members.

Posted
Latest 18z F.I. prediction of a Scandi-high in F.I. threatens to increase SATSIGS from 0 back to a level 1 again. Steve Murr's post also threatens to stir up irrational hysterics amongst certain snow-starved members.

Yep, that sure is one of the most extraordinary* posts I've seen on NW. T+300 and a high somewhere out in the distant east now incurs invitations to light candles on the windowsill for the cold is a'coming. You're right: a definite SATSIGS ramp alert there.

* other words do come to mind

Posted
Yep, that sure is one of the most extraordinary* posts I've seen on NW. T+300 and a high somewhere out in the distant east now incurs invitations to light candles on the windowsill for the cold is a'coming. You're right: a definite SATSIGS ramp alert there.

* other words do come to mind

my understanding of SM's quote was his reaction to a second and possible third warming event in the stratosphere indicating towards a possible negative AO and nothing to do with the charts at t+300 :)

Posted

SATSIGS alert. 18z has hinted at height rises to our NE once again from T174 onwards. 18Z also hinting at possible incursions of cold zonality PM incursions for western Britain prior to this.

This looks like VERY desparate straw-clutching, but SATSIGS is required to calm the rampant frustrations and thirst of snow\cold fans.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

The main source of the tremors identified by PP would appear to be some of our Irish chums, who would stand to benefit most from cold zonality in its truest form.

Posted
The main source of the tremors identified by PP would appear to be some of our Irish chums, who would stand to benefit most from cold zonality in its truest form.

Indeed. Everybody make a stampede for the Dublin hills!

:unknw:

Posted

Dublin is a well known source of tremors. Caused no end of disruption in autumn 05.

Posted

Extreme high pressure building to the East.

Showings signs of linking with Siberean high. I feel in such circumstances

this warrants a SATSIGS alert as major snow storms are becoming increasingly likely.

Brian

Posted
Extreme high pressure building to the East.

Showings signs of linking with Siberean high. I feel in such circumstances

this warrants a SATSIGS alert as major snow storms are becoming increasingly likely.

Brian

Hahahahahhahahahhahahahah

:mellow:

:D

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Brian, you can't BID a ramp alert against yourself, tsk, that's like jumping on the earthquake house in the earthquake capital of the UK (Shuggee will know where I mean, it's up in the Troassachs somewhere) to try to make the earthquake sensor inside move.

Anyway, if only because we don't like to give the impression of slacking at SATSIGs, and to make sure none of the team has died of heatstroke, HQ is calling the watch in...if nothing else it will break the monotony of sitting at home watching ReadysteadymovehouseflogtheatticandJudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms

You rang m'lud?