Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SATSIGS

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
I thought SATSIGS only warned people when the science was going the way of the sod. Not when the science indicates the distinct possibility of something cold? :)

A good point well made comrade! :)

Posted
I thought SATSIGS only warned people when the science was going the way of the sod. Not when the science indicates the distinct possibility of something cold? :)

I believe like all well-intentioned societies for right-thinking they have somewhat overstepped the line.

Perhaps they have a new rich, but decidedly private, backer who wishes to remain annonymous but has funded them in a new and altogether frightening direction.

SATSIGS monitors on every PC, Murrs and Blasts being rounded up and hidden away at the slightest rise in pressure up north, the Canadian Branch apparantly has Roger held captive in a woodshack with no net connection in Seskatchewan until the bitter weather flees the scene.

Madness I tell ya. I also tell you this. Sod All The Science, It's Gonna Snow.

Guest Viking141
I believe like all well-intentioned societies for right-thinking they have somewhat overstepped the line.

Perhaps they have a new rich, but decidedly private, backer who wishes to remain annonymous but has funded them in a new and altogether frightening direction.

SATSIGS monitors on every PC, Murrs and Blasts being rounded up and hidden away at the slightest rise in pressure up north, the Canadian Branch apparantly has Roger held captive in a woodshack with no net connection in Seskatchewan until the bitter weather flees the scene.

Madness I tell ya. I also tell you this. Sod All The Science, It's Gonna Snow.

Absolutely!

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

The science part instructs that, cometh the hour, cometh the reality that various factors, previously ignored (because of the recent superb model outputs), have prevented us from receiving the pasting promised.

Classic factors include: 24 hours plus of continuous snowfall with dew points above 0c; perfect dew points and actual temperatures without, the all important, precipitation and modified air sources.

SATSIGS ALERT 3 VEERING 4

EPICENTRE OF ALERT: SUSSEX-IN-THE-URALS

Just as a day is unto a thousand years in the eyes of the Lord (2 Peter 3 v8), so a mile and a week are unto a continent and a nano-second in the eyes of residents of Sussex, especially Bexleyvitch. SATSIGS is particularly admirational of the conflagration of time and distance in the statement "we are 300 miles from something spectacular".

I wondered who would pick that statement up.....

it was a Satsigs test Statement.....

Certainly moved the needle-

S

Posted
I thought SATSIGS only warned people when the science was going the way of the sod. Not when the science indicates the distinct possibility of something cold? ;)

Yes and no: SATSIGs really detects excessive ramping where the stated outcome really isn't borne out by the evidence. The sensors tend to be fairly clever, weeding out the innocent naif from the willful wishful thinker extrapolating extravagantly. Well, that's the theory.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

PersianPaladin, i hope we get 20 in of snow to put a smile on your face man!! every time we see something exciting happening in terms of snow you got to put a dampner on it have you got two wrong sides of the bed or summit? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Posted
SATSIDS: Sod All The Science It Did Snow.

850hpa temps of -1ºC. Thickness thingy of 536.

Why did we get so much snow today SATSIGS? :) :lol:

Because, sometimes, as expected, it does snow, even if it's only in one small corner of the kingdom, and predominantly on higher ground.

Wouldn't worry too much about the 500 heights; always far better to check the boundary layer (850s). It can snow at anything up to 540, and in any case, though I don't know where you DID get your height from, I'd caution against using, say, WZ; it's a cursory indicator at best. Altitude effectively reduces the height as well. I'd suspect that there was a cold undercut at the surface today. Anyway, don't ponder - enjoy.

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted
Because, sometimes, as expected, it does snow, even if it's only in one small corner of the kingdom, and predominantly on higher ground.

Hey, it may just be one small corner of the kingdom to you, but Glasgow belongs to me.

Posted
"PURE NAW YA BAM!" :) :lol:

hahahaha!

I made a point about the "unsuitable" conditions for snow and no one commented on it. Yesterday proved that we're not gonna miss out on any potential events, which i'm relived about. Bring on the small systems to the north west next week! square go! :)

Posted

Hi All

More tremours detected with an epicentre around the sage of SE London, it could have been something to do with just coming in from a night out, ....now where did I put that glass of abingdon.....

Cheers

FC

Posted
I think it's a Queendom. It has been a long time since it's been a kingdom, many decades :lol:

Yes, well, mercifully PC has not yet reached to redifining ALL of our nouns.

Robbie, be assured SATSIGs is hugely delighted that you had 5" of snow at 100m ASL. As you mentioned, it wasn't unexpected.

Posted

Hi All,

Been very, very busy this year so not posted much at all. Read up on the SATSIGs threads for this winter, very funny SF. it seems as living up here over the week or so ( and being at work over night ) the horrendous weather has simply passed us by in the TOON.

Never mind nice to see a good ramp developing for the north east for Sun through till Wed next week, I think it looks like a 3 1/2 RAMP for sledges and snowballs next week. :lol:

post-5270-1169243574_thumb.gif

Posted

SATSIGs MAJOR RAMP ALERT

Ramp Alert 3

Significant ramp alert from the very margin of the Mysterious zone of Sound Northern Thinking, which just goes to show that it IS possible to live too close to the M62.

2-6" of snow tonight with up to 6 hours' snow fall. Technically this is a "rounded up" ramp, because there SATSIGs adjudication is that there is the chance of snow tonight for northern areas, but let's not get all SM 2006 about this.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

*ALARM*

Cold Spell Discussion 5 has been taken over by rampers not letting the facts get in the way of a good ramp.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
*ALARM*

Cold Spell Discussion 5 has been taken over by rampers not letting the facts get in the way of a good ramp.

I'm glad our snowless zone monitor is on line. I'm sure I sure a report yesterday suggesting snow in Aylesbury, which is so close to Abingdon that it might as well be called Reading. So, do we have snow in Abingdon, or was that a wild ramp?

Posted
So, do we have snow in Abingdon, or was that a wild ramp?

One guess. In theory you have a 50:50 chance of being correct.

Posted
One guess. In theory you have a 50:50 chance of being correct.

I'll ramp it Enforcer. BBC South reckons 2-4cms early tomorrow !!!!!!!!

Turnedoutniceagain is moving to Level 4 :rolleyes::yahoo::cold:

Posted

Hmm. I'll have to check the late evening broadcast, but honestly these sorts of media announcements are irresponsible and merely serve to fuel the hysteria in CSD5 and send the needles spinning at SATSIGS HQ. Still, I'll be checking out the Chilterns tomorrow before penning an obiturary for this particular cold spell.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted

ITV National Weather was particularly against all known evidence earlier - 2 to 3 inches in the south east during tomorrow morning....

I may be forced to watch Channel 5 weather later - or maybe Al Jazeera in English to see their wishcast :)

Posted
Hmm. I'll have to check the late evening broadcast, but honestly these sorts of media announcements are irresponsible and merely serve to fuel the hysteria in CSD5 and send the needles spinning at SATSIGS HQ. Still, I'll be checking out the Chilterns tomorrow before penning an obiturary for this particular cold spell.

The one upside of being located in a well known hotel, in the hotel capital of the Thames Valley, overlooking runway 08N at LHR, is that I get to see (if I'm back in time) the London weather, and old matey boy was bigging up the snow for the Chilterns tonight big time. Didn't mention Hastings though!

Posted

THIS MESSAGE IS POSTED ON BEHALF OF ENFORCER:

SATSIGs WATCH

A watch has been issued from our Abingdon centre for Heavy-No Observations (Ach-No...Shuggee would say) warning of a band of moderate no moving south overnight on a steady notherly. At present the precise location and magnitude of the event cannot be ascertained, but there is a real risk of 5-10cm of "no" accumulating in some less favoured locations, with much slight at the margins.

The potential is for 1-2 Abingdons in the N Midlands, and perhaps as much as 3 in some areas S of the M4.

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted

SATSIGS MAJOR RAMP ALERT:

RAMP ALERT 12- Classic Metofficeramp:

Oxfordshire

Heavy Snow 0100 Wed 24 0800 Wed 24

From the early hours of Wednesday morning heavy snow falls are expected to spread southwards across many parts of central and southern England with up to 5cm of snow accumulating in places, especially on high ground. Following the snowfall clearing skies may lead to icy stretches on untreated road surfaces. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the 'Highways Agency' for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

What they actually meant to say was:

Oxfordshire

Heavy No 0100 Wed 24 0800 Wed 24

From the early hours of Wednesday morning heavy no falls are expected to spread southwards across many parts of central and southern England with puddles of up to 5cm deep accumulating in places, with a wintry mix on high ground. Following the nofall clearing skies may lead to icy stretches on untreated road surfaces, because the Council had to sell all the salt to cover the drop in central government funding, but at least it will be mild. The public are advised that Blair doesn't care and refer to the 'Highways Agency' for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads, as if you don't spend half of your life in queues already.

Edited by The Enforcer