IGNORED

SATSIGS

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Wheres Crazy Snowman?????

Posted

Just picked up the car from my local dealer and they have made all the modifications exactly as I asked -

foto_smart_snow_machine.jpg

Edited by Coast

Posted

Some fairly wild ramping going on, but then we've forgotten how bad things get. It only takes a cm or snow of snow and the threads get gridlocked with rampers queuing up behind some jacknifed ramp.

Amongst ramps detected in the last 24 hours:

The London Free evening paper. Heaviest snow in 7 years - the ramp here was for the use of a red 7: Ramp factor 1

Janice Long - R2: "Might get snowed in tomorrow night"...and general incoherent ramblings to the like for much of her show last night. Ramp factor 4.

Snow to lie in London and persist through Friday: Ramp factor 4.

I suspect there will be a few Abingdons about tomorrow morning - probably points south of the M4, and London.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I think the BBC have just caused a moderate Abingdon Quake :yahoo:

Posted
I think the BBC have just caused a moderate Abingdon Quake :lol:

It wasn't the Wilmshurst woman waxing lyric about "at least it will be mild" was it? She has Abingdon in her genetic material, lots of it.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

A 2cm accumulation a couple of weeks ago and a 6cm accumulation today. Might it be time to tender in my SATSIGS resignation?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
A 2cm accumulation a couple of weeks ago and a 6cm accumulation today. Might it be time to tender in my SATSIGS resignation?

Now I know where Sheffields Snow has been going. Thief send it back. :unsure:

Posted

It seems Hedon is the new Abingdon. We had rain a few weeks ago and a sprinking of hail that lasted 20 minutes this morning followed by sleet this afternoon. I havent seen more than a cm of snow since I moved here in 2004, amazing considering this is supposed to be an area favoured by most cold setups.

Must say Im glad you've finally got some decent snow (twice in 2 weeks) after a 10 year drought.

Posted
Well what new unit of snow-ramping disappointment are we to use now if not "Abingdons"?

Regards

ACB

With all due reverence may I respectfully suggest Exeters? For no other reason that that the met is there of course. They would be much more robust than the now sadly demised Abingdon, would not be pushed around by any piddling bit of cold air that had pretensions above it's station & would crumble at the merest hint of a jet streak above 10kts! :rolleyes:

Dave

Edited by davehsug

Posted
Must say Im glad you've finally got some decent snow (twice in 2 weeks) after a 10 year drought.

Cheers. Hope you break your duck soon.

Posted
Well what new unit of snow-ramping disappointment are we to use now if not "Abingdons"?

Regards

ACB

may I very respectfully nominate a "devon", a "skye" and a "PP"

if they are to to be worthy successors (if indeed one is required and the barrier to entry has not just been raised) then let them all present their case that the revered SATSIGS may vote

Posted

The 'Hedon'? Alternatively, The 'Reef'?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
may I very respectfully nominate a "devon", a "skye" and a "PP"

if they are to to be worthy successors (if indeed one is required and the barrier to entry has not just been raised) then let them all present their case that the revered SATSIGS may vote

May I suggest a Somerset? Having lived in most parts of the country over the years, I can confirm it rarely snows here, despite any forecasts of major dumpings it invariably falls as rain. I suspect this is a long term trend as the village I live in (Holcombe) was the home of the parents of Scott - he of Antartic fame - the distinct lack of any white stuff around here was I believe the major driving force behind his expedition to at long last see what real snow looked like.

Posted

Maybe what we should do is pass the baton by rotation. IN years to come people may consult the Encyclopaedia Britannica and see a bizarre "joint the dots" type map charting the baton of snowless unit of disappointment around the country. My suggestion would be that Exeter might have it - what say everyone else? Of course the rich irony here is that it's now home to the MO.

As for Hedons, you don't fool me reef, I'm sure you've received the back end of some of those showers that pepper the NY Moors from time to time, and didn't you get the scraggy end of the tidy little event that swept across the M62 corridor last March? lol

Be thankful there's nobody on here from the Channel Islands, or the Isles of Scilly.

Posted
Well I favoured either Exeter or Somerset...

Regards

ACB

Brixtons has a nice ring to it. Does it ever snow down there? Good to see you've been released on parole by the way: incarcerative sentences are not what they used to be!

Posted

Bournemouth (though to be fair much of the South coast could apply) should be on the list of applicants for this rota. Totally snowless this winter. The last snow that resulted in anything settling was last year with a brief dusting, previously the thundersnow event, previously 1996, previously 1980-somthing (1985 or 1986 I think).

I will personally continue to use the appointed SI* unit of Abingdons. I'm doing that based on the theory that even if Lord Kelvin had later been found to be an axe weilding maniac, his scale would still be used today, maybe even moreso.

* On the rambling topic of SI measurements, I'm quite sure that Abingdon would never have a sniff as a SI unit. It would have to be a decidéception or something equally unfathomable.

Posted
One Abingdon=one nanometer per century :)

But that scale has been exploeded within the space of 2 weeks! I don't like my SIs messed aroud with thank you very much :lol: I need to know that an ohm or an ampere will be the same in the morning as when I go to bed at night :)

I was the original proposer of an Exeter as the new scale, but I was intigued by an earlier post & would now be prepared to settle for a Scilly! It works on so many levels (well actually 2).

Dave