Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Met Office website!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

confused the snek out've me when I suddenly ran into it!!!! (doesn't take much)

Posted

Always takes time to find things on new look sites. My favourite section on the old site (once I got the NW radar so used the MO one less) was the Station Observations page.

The new set up for Obs is much more detailed, really good to have temps like 13.4c rather than exact/round figures like 13c. Also to have tabular or graph appearance rather than just graphs.

I also dislike the radar, let's put it down to teething problems that will improve soon.

Posted

re: Met Bashing.

Why? Because they deserve it on so many levels. We had last weeks utter debacle, and they still had the guile the day after the non-storm to suggest there was 'severe weather' the previous night.

As for todays utter incompetence at doing something as simple as a visually useful radar screen, its testament to the fact its a government institution. They are rife with idiots at all levels.

The question stands. How many MONTHS do you think it'll take for them to change the land colour from the lame lime green to something far better?

3mths ? 6 mths? A year?

Calrissian: Will slate any government institution...if it deserves it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Anyone filled in the feedback form yet?

I have and I mentioned the radar. If a lot of us mention it i'm sure they would change it quite soon.

Anyone think the resolution is lower on the radar too?

Heres the link if anyones interested:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/feedback/index.html

Mark.

Posted

Takes a bit of getting used to but definitly an improvement

Just realised its definitly better on a local scale. You can zoom in on the radar and there are far more weather station reports aswell as the weather in the past 24 areas in your area and not just UK wide. More locations for the five-day forecast too :blink:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Seems okay abit sluggish though. Perhaps thats becuase everyone is giving it a once over.

Just looked at the local day 6 - 15 day Forecast and thought this was good until I noticed that this was a general one for the coutry and not for your region. Mmmm One more point to net weather.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
Takes a bit of getting used to but definitly an improvement

Just realised its definitly better on a local scale. You can zoom in on the radar and there are far more weather station reports aswell as the weather in the past 24 areas in your area and not just UK wide. More locations for the five-day forecast too :D

Yes, that is good feature being able to 'zoom in' on different regions of the UK with higher res. radar, satellite, pressure, wind etc.

The colour coding of the ppn rates makes more sense aswell now - though the lime green background of the land clashes with the green used for moderate ppn rates.

Posted
Always takes time to find things on new look sites. My favourite section on the old site (once I got the NW radar so used the MO one less) was the Station Observations page.

The new set up for Obs is much more detailed, really good to have temps like 13.4c rather than exact/round figures like 13c. Also to have tabular or graph appearance rather than just graphs.

I also dislike the radar, let's put it down to teething problems that will improve soon.

There is another snag with the radar as it uses individually identified gifs (eg 200611282100 - date and time) and so the Google earth overlay doesn't work any more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

A vast improvement to the site IMO. It's taking me a while to find my way round as is expected. I have to agree about the radar though, what a horrible clash the land makes with the colours of the radar!

Posted
re: Met Bashing.

Why? Because they deserve it on so many levels. We had last weeks utter debacle, and they still had the guile the day after the non-storm to suggest there was 'severe weather' the previous night.

As for todays utter incompetence at doing something as simple as a visually useful radar screen, its testament to the fact its a government institution. They are rife with idiots at all levels.

The question stands. How many MONTHS do you think it'll take for them to change the land colour from the lame lime green to something far better?

3mths ? 6 mths? A year?

Calrissian: Will slate any government institution...if it deserves it.

This is what i like about you! Never hold back your true feelings and say it how it is :D:(

Posted

Sorry, don't have that much problem with the various shades of green. As far as I'm concerned, it's better than the Beeb's cat-with-a-liver-probem brown. The increased number of observation sites is great and the introduction of the last 24 hours of satellite images rather than being able to see only the most recent ones is great for checking the progress of fronts, etc.

However, I do have a technical problem: the satellite maps, for example, don't load when using Explorer with OSX and mean I have to resort to Apple's yukky - and incredibly slow - Safari. Grrrr.

This is what i like about you! Never hold back your true feelings and say it how it is :D:(

Yes. Even when it is ill-informed, unwarranted and antagonistic.

There are great people working at the Met Office, and it is justifiably the envy of the world.

Anyone found the Yesterday's weather link yet?

Edited by West is Best

Posted

WIB. I think you have to remember this is the internet; feelings, humour, outlandish comments etc can, and always will be, miscontrued - on any forum. Doesn't mean the poster is a "bad 'un" - just so happens different people have differing points/persona.

To be blunt, what do you really want? To always have someone agree with your goodself?

Again, it's the www and until you/I meet somebody face-to-face, have a chat, meet again etc, you can't honestly judge any individual on here regarding posts/postings.

Yes. Even when it is ill-informed, unwarranted and antagonistic.

There are great people working at the Met Office, and it is justifiably the envy of the world.

Anyone found the Yesterday's weather link yet?

This gives recent weather information and for each weather station there is a 24 hour history graphical summary of the weather.

Also for each region it gives the warmest, wettest etc stats for the past 24 hours.

To be blunt, what do you really want? To always have someone agree with your goodself?

Mondy - thanks for the lesson in netiquette .... the unimpeachable source for which gives me good cheer!

Nothing to do with me, I just have a real thing about peeps having a go at the Met Office. I know some of the staff there, and many of them as Gov't servants are not in a position to respond. So it's very cowardly to criticise people who are professional metereologists and who know more than most people on here, excepting the NW forecast team and leader. So raise queries against each other on NW, but bashing an external agency to NW like the Met O is just a bit pathetic imho. It's a similar thing to Snow Watch or TWO or Metcheck. It's not our place to criticise them. Just a point of view!

Anyway, back to those models.

Edited by West is Best

Posted

seems they have now redirected the old addresses to the new site

With the radar, I still prefer the met.ie one, luckily it covers us and most of the rain usually comes from that direction (and it's more sensitive than meto as well)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: autumn, winter, cold, sunny, snow, crisp
seems they have now redirected the old addresses to the new site

With the radar, I still prefer the met.ie one, luckily it covers us and most of the rain usually comes from that direction (and it's more sensitive than meto as well)

Hi Verglas

have you noticed that the Isle of Man is not covered by observations or forecasts!!! no ronaldsway information at all.

thank God for NW!!

Posted
You do know that the Isle of Man has its own met office and has nothing to do with the British one? It's the same for the channel islands and any other crown dependency.

correct

Posted

Indeed at 11.30am sense prevailed - so it took only 24hrs to change! God bless the Meto.