Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Met Office website!

Posted
RE: Radar

Only the Met Office could employ a web designer who decided to have lime green land colour, and then have certain types of rainfall totally blend in with the land.

Idiots !

---------

Even remedial webmasters know not to do that. Ohh, it'll be changed.

Any guesses on how long it'll take them to change it?

I'm guessing probably 3-4 months minimum.

Calrissian: Infinately superior to those Government fools

Humble pie anyone :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

They've changed it that is good news.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Yes well done to the Met Office, that was quick.

Looks much better now, still prefer the Netweather one though :whistling:

Posted
Much better now they have changed the colour for the UK, but how can you tell if there is a downpour just off the coast...it's white on white??

They've changed their link slightly

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Yes, according to their map, there is a permanent downpour surrounding the entire UK.

Once again..another stupid colour choice. How difficult can it be ?

Land Brown, Sea blue.

Doubtless, they wanted lime green for land, to match their overall logo. However, they seem to realise it ain't working on their radar map. Their local radars also need redoing.

Calrissian: :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

hate it!! :D

Posted
How difficult can it be ?

Land Brown, Sea blue.

England is a green and pleasant land (probably the rest of the UK is too), so why the heck should it look like a desert?

Personally I think the radar is just fine. But if you're really vexed by it, why not try this free and extremely good radar site: http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=holiday&amp...;soort=loop1uur

Posted

They have definitely changed some of the geographical areas. Bristol used to be at a meeting point between the South West, the West Country and the West Midlands and I was never too sure which forecast to check! Now it has been included in the South West so I shall know where to look. Probably others will now be wondering where they are! Ah, well, c'est la vie. Some'll be happy and some won't. Can't please all the people all of the time. Some people will always look to find fault .

I love the MetO. :D

Posted

I think their warning page is stupid. For this weekend, for example, they have a warning of severe gales for every area of the UK, and underneath is found a description of the warning for each area. But instead of giving a specific warning with precise details for each region, they just reprint the exact same warning 14 times. What's the point? Just one warning and the risk map will suffice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I also like the surface pressure charts page how they give their view just under the image:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/surface_pressure.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: autumn, winter, cold, sunny, snow, crisp
correct

yes i am aware that we have our own Met office, but they dont provide 5 day forecast (only biefly to one/two days out) or daily/hourly observations like the Met Office UK site used to.

i am unable to find any sites showing wat weather/temperatures etc have occurred over the last 24 hours on the island. so unlikely to be reporting in the current conditions area any more :(

however i have found a current conditions site by one of the ATC officers at Ronaldsway Airport.

Any way good luck to all those still using the UK Met site.

Posted
Surely in a democratic nation it is our right to criticise government and all of their agencies? Even if that criticism is unfounded or uneducated. It should then be up to the government and their agencies to educate us and address/answer our queries. (or prove us wrong)

However, that anyone can criticise the update to the Met-O website is beyond me!! :blush:

As a government worker myself I have to admit I get rather peed off with lazy people thinking it is the duty of government to educate them, get of your backside and read around issues before opening your mouth and making uneductaed comments. One of this country's biggest problems is that people are so lazy and want to be drip fed, but then have the audacity to cry nanny state or make unfair criticism when it suits them.

On the subject of the new revision to the met site, I think it is a vast improvement and am impressed.

Edited by Pinball Wizard

Posted

Took a while to get used to, but I like the much bigger radar map, plus the added bonus of being able

to zoom-in on a region.

The Severe Weather Warnings are not all that helpful really, because for say Bristol for example,

the warning is just the generic warning for all regions not locally-specific.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted

I was generally impressed with the upgrade to their website, but so far I have not found any link to the "top ten" lists they had on the old site, which I always liked to read.

Anyone know where they are? I just see the "top one" not the top ten, although they've added top sunshine hours to the list, which is good.

Posted

well i am very impressed with the face lift of the met site. loads of info ready to hand and more frequent updates on both data and radar images.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
They've changed their link slightly

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Yes, according to their map, there is a permanent downpour surrounding the entire UK.

Once again..another stupid colour choice. How difficult can it be ?

Land Brown, Sea blue.

Doubtless, they wanted lime green for land, to match their overall logo. However, they seem to realise it ain't working on their radar map. Their local radars also need redoing.

Calrissian: :lol:

So how come so many people complain about the BBC using this colour scheme for exactly the same reason?