Cold?
IGNORED

BBC TV Weather Forecasts

J10

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Isn't Rob McElwee brilliant?

He might be in trouble.... Unless I'm very much mistaken he just swore on the national forecast 10:55pm BBC1 by saying ... "missed the bleedin' obvious"..... :shok:

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A few people I know have commented that the graphics during this cold spell have been very confusing- in particular they've had trouble distinguishing rain from frost, both of which appear blue.

Like with every other gripe I have with the modern-day BBC forecasts, this problem doesn't seem to apply to the Countryfile forecasts, which use a clearer way of presenting the graphics. It is somewhat ironic when they try to provide a minimum of information to avoid confusing viewers (except for viewers of Countryfile, who are clearly assumed to have more than zero interest in the weather) and in doing so make it confusing.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

just saw the bbc news 24 weather and theyve basically gone for warm air over uk all next week pushing cold away!!

think ill have to buy a frying pan to put those eggs in!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Enjoyed the BBC weather forecast just now as it showed the jet stream and the reason why this low pressure just isn't moving. However, don't know what Alex Deakin was on about, the weather we have now is completely different to what we have had in recent days, he compared the upcoming weather to the fairly quiet weather of recent days. How untrue... also they don't have much confidence as they only went to the end of Wednesday normally they would go to Thursday. (3 days ahead..). I can't remember when they went beyond 3 days, something they did regularly a few years ago, you have to watch countryfile or weatherview for this nowadays.

Posted

Enjoyed the BBC weather forecast just now as it showed the jet stream and the reason why this low pressure just isn't moving. However, don't know what Alex Deakin was on about, the weather we have now is completely different to what we have had in recent days, he compared the upcoming weather to the fairly quiet weather of recent days. How untrue... also they don't have much confidence as they only went to the end of Wednesday normally they would go to Thursday. (3 days ahead..). I can't remember when they went beyond 3 days, something they did regularly a few years ago, you have to watch countryfile or weatherview for this nowadays.

I agree with that, they may mention the risk of a severe weather event like snow for example happening beyond 3 days out but they dont show the graphics for it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't think the "BBC 5 day" style weather forecast for individual cities is anywhere near as good as showing graphics for the country for the 3-5 day period. Again I suspect they're there to cater for those who have little or no interest in the weather, but unless you live in one of the cities they cover, the weather in your area might not fit what's given for any of the cities.

Posted

I don't think the "BBC 5 day" style weather forecast for individual cities is anywhere near as good as showing graphics for the country for the 3-5 day period. Again I suspect they're there to cater for those who have little or no interest in the weather, but unless you live in one of the cities they cover, the weather in your area might not fit what's given for any of the cities.

The 5 day forecasts are completely useless, and don't get me started on the maps on teletext - these chop and change everyday..

Also the north west region forecasts always seem to show Isle of Man substantially colder than the rest of the region, in fact the regional forecasts quite often go against the national forecasts, the regional forecasts are rubbish.

Posted

Interesting, because I feel the North East regional ones have improved quite a bit over the last few years. There are probably regional differences there.

• 3 months later...
Posted

I saw some more BBC forecasts yesterday, having come up to Tyne and Wear for the weekend, and have been appalled, to be honest. Yesterday's forecasts seemed obsessed with reassuring viewers that the weather would be better today (the number of value judgements like "thankfully X, hopefully Y" was staggering- there was even a "don't worry" in there- well in excess of anything I've seen before on a BBC national forecast).

In addition, as far as north-eastern districts are concerned, they were wrong. Much of eastern Scotland and north-eastern England isn't getting the sunny intervals and temperatures in the low teens that were forecast, but rather extensive cloud cover, drizzle and a raw wind with temperatures struggling to reach double figures. Even the BBC's own maps hinted at it if you looked closely, while the GFS's outputs have suggested drizzle and 10-12C for those areas for a couple of days.

I have a feeling that if this had been 30th May 2000, rather than 2010, the corresponding BBC forecasts would at least have mentioned "outbreaks of rain and drizzle working their way down the eastern side of Scotland and into north-east England".

Posted

the forecasts for the Southeast region are quite good, much better than they used to be.

• 3 months later...
Posted

What a crap local forecast just now on BBC One! They got the newsreader to read it off an autocue, and it was completely wrong! :whistling:

What was wrong with getting a national forecaster to do a recorded one like the past few days, if there's no local forecaster's available?

Posted

I was amazed quite recently by a late-evening broadcast by popular N-W favourite Rob McElwee (can't remember which evening unfortunately). It went out to 4 days ahead, used wind arrows and 2 pressure charts and included some basic explanations of what was going on, and told us what the weather was going to be in quite a quirky style. If that's what his broadcasts are normally like I can see why he is so popular.

• 2 months later...
Posted

BBC latest forecast going for snow into NE Scotland Friday,so is this some change because I though all areas in the N and E of the country were at risk.rolleyes.gif

The BBC do like like to underplay cold weather so it comes as no surprise expect much more widespread snow by Friday.

Edited by Mole

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was amazed quite recently by a late-evening broadcast by popular N-W favourite Rob McElwee (can't remember which evening unfortunately). It went out to 4 days ahead, used wind arrows and 2 pressure charts and included some basic explanations of what was going on, and told us what the weather was going to be in quite a quirky style. If that's what his broadcasts are normally like I can see why he is so popular.

The forecast you saw is called Weatherview and goes on the news channel at 9:25 and 9:55 pm every night. It's later aired again by BBC One somewhere around 1 am, I think, the timeslot changes every day.

Head Tomasz no commont on a white xmas end of his Forecast :rofl: :rofl: :lol:

What did he say?