Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

BBC TV Weather Forecasts

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
To quote the BBC weather at 2235:

" a return to the white stuff could be on the cards following the storm blowing through" followed by a mischievous grin.....! :D

Yes I saw that too, :D

Cold trend continues on 18z GFS, good solid agreement now from all the models for a cold zonal blast just as BFTP gets home from skiing holiday, good timing eh :D

Posted

And here it is in context:

Rob McElwee

To be critical though, he did not mention any specific location for the 'white stuff' but looking at the graphics accompanying his forecast, north / western areas are favourable.

ffO

Posted
And here it is in context:

Rob McElwee

To be critical though, he did not mention any specific location for the 'white stuff' but looking at the graphics accompanying his forecast, north / western areas are favourable.

ffO

Met office latest forecaste heavy wintry showers sunday /monday heavy sleet or snow especially ,western areas of uk.

Posted

'Snow and stormy weather has led to treacherous conditions and traffic chaos across Northern Ireland'

news.bbc.co.uk/northern ireland

Blimey, was it really that bad?

news.bbc.co.uk Maybe it was?

Posted

The only thing that is slightley disapointing thus far today is the bbc forcast 13:30pm which before they started the proper forcast showed us next week a big high pressure slap bang over the whole off the uk. now my current read on that must be that they seem very confident over that which is good news if you like colder weather with sunshine or bad news if its snow your after the latter my preferd option. If things goes wrong it will sadley for us what many members faill to understand and do not think is that we are a tiny island and have to get the perfect synario to produce snow.

Posted
The only thing that is slightley disapointing thus far today is the bbc forcast 13:30pm which before they started the proper forcast showed us next week a big high pressure slap bang over the whole off the uk. now my current read on that must be that they seem very confident over that which is good news if you like colder weather with sunshine or bad news if its snow your after the latter my preferd option. If things goes wrong it will sadley for us what many members faill to understand and do not think is that we are a tiny island and have to get the perfect synario to produce snow.

He also finished that pre forecast piece by saying thats how things look in 10 days time. That's a very strange line for a BBC forecaster to come out with, they rarely allude to 5 days hence, let alone 10. Either TS was flying by the seat of his pants and feeling the need to be a bit rebellious, or the MO are extremely confident of the HP evolution.

Posted
He also finished that pre forecast piece by saying thats how things look in 10 days time. That's a very strange line for a BBC forecaster to come out with, they rarely allude to 5 days hence, let alone 10. Either TS was flying by the seat of his pants and feeling the need to be a bit rebellious, or the MO are extremely confident of the HP evolution.

i am 'open mouthed aghast'. if true, this is truly astonishing. maybe he's on the way to be chief news editor at the express and practicing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
i am 'open mouthed aghast'. if true, this is truly astonishing. maybe he's on the way to be chief news editor at the express and practicing.

I cannot believe that he would show a chart for ten days time!

The models are struggling to agree on what the weather will be in ten minutes time at the moment! :)

Maybe he thought it was Sunday and he was doing the Countryfile Forecast.

Edited by mam500

Posted

The models are struggling to agree on what the weather will be in ten minutes time at the moment! :)

No one said he showed a chart, he didn't, he showed a graphic. Moreover I'm not going to say he mentioned 10 days either of he didn't. That's what was shown and that's what was said!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
No one said he showed a chart, he didn't, he showed a graphic. Moreover I'm not going to say he mentioned 10 days either of he didn't. That's what was shown and that's what was said!

quite correct, it is VERY unusual for the beeb to predict that far out but that is exactly what was said.

Posted
quite correct, it is VERY unusual for the beeb to predict that far out but that is exactly what was said.

He's probably reading his warning letter as we speak.... :lol:

Posted

The models are struggling to agree on what the weather will be in ten minutes time at the moment! :lol:

Maybe they have more powerful computers than we can see

All I know is they are usually fairly correct and professional in everything they do and say

Not a welcome sign, hopefully for once they'll be wrong

Well i can't believe he would go that far ahead and with UKMO's own model which only goes upto T+144 hrs changing alot in the past week i find that very irresponsible forecasting indeed, i hope some of the higher ups have a good word with him, UKMO was going for the atlantic unsettled westerly spell to continue until it eventually brought in that block to the NE halting their progression.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
Maybe they have more powerful computers than we can see

All I know is they are usually fairly correct and professional in everything they do and say

Not a welcome sign, hopefully for once they'll be wrong

or maybe not as a certain mr darren betts posted his monthly outlook yesterday on there bbc weather website read it and chuckle.

because as this was posted so was the met office outlook and they where pretty different :lol: .

i always thought that bbc weather used met offices data to produce there forecast so its either misunderstanding.

or not enough input from the met office to produce a better forecast even then into the second week outlook darren betts forecast is a little ify :lol:

but that is most likely lack of input with the not sure attitude.

but he is one of my fav forecasters and is a true coldie i reckon :D

next monday i expect it to say spring is on its way with 20c temps forecast haha :lol: :lol:

Posted

Ha Ha, just rolling around here, the BBC1 North West weather forecast has just been on, and on the map, in large letters, said tomorrow will be "Moslty Cloudy" :D

Posted

Mr McElwees closing statement on Tuesdays 2235 national forecast:

'We're importing weather from the near continent rather specially though. Big disparity. Warm wet west, cold sunny east. Much colder but probably, it'll be sunnier....... We'll watch that with interest!' Last sentence flourished with raised eyebrow and cheeky grin.

East / West battleground?

Sometimes I get the distinct impression, our Rob puts those little quips in for the benefit of us here on NW. :doh: Go Rob. :)

ffO.

Posted

Just seen the forecast on BBC at 10:35 with mild ramper Darren Bett and all he said for next week was "continental air will invade the Uk and it will be cold with even the chance, wait for it.....of some wintry flurries". God that bloke never puts out does he! :lol:

Just seen the forecast on BBC at 10:35 with mild ramper Darren Bett and all he said for next week was "continental air will invade the Uk and it will be cold with even the chance, wait for it.....of some wintry flurries". God that bloke never puts out does he! :lol:

That's a major ramp from our Betty. :lol:

Posted

Just seen the latest 10:35 forecast with the mild ramper Darren Bett (he must be going through hell at the mo) and the graphics for Sunday showed snow showers on the east coast from the Thames up to Scotland and said "that they were keeping a weather watch on the potential for heavy snow next week" - quite vague but as muddled as the models are all you can expect from the METO. :D

Posted

BBC 1.30pm..............................Snow flurries, Sunday evening, heavier Snow Monday, for the East initially, then just about anywhere.

They are expecting the west to have less problems though, traffic etc.

With a nice windchill of -8. I think I'll stay in then.