Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

BBC TV Weather Forecasts

J10

Posted
Yes the warm sector is causing problems.Take it thats why the bbc are now calling this a short cold snap mon-tues. :winky: :lol:

Darren Bett needs shooting GRRRR... He just showed Rain come tuesday morning in an arc south of S Yorks across to Manchester

South to Cardiff and Plymouth with all areas SE of the lin with Rain and not even Sleet. Wonder how it would have looked had

Mr MacElwie been on the 21:57 forecast???

Posted

I haven't watched them since half 6 and clearly there have been developments. Im not keen on Darren Bett at this time of year, give my Rob Mc anyday of the week, he would love forecasting the cold and snow. Those around these parts will know that Paul Hudson is a definate cold weather lover and gave a lot of detail about the possible snow this weekend and early next week. I will tune in at half 10 to see if things have changed

Posted
Darren Bett needs shooting GRRRR... He just showed Rain come tuesday morning in an arc south of S Yorks across to Manchester

South to Cardiff and Plymouth with all areas SE of the lin with Rain and not even Sleet. Wonder how it would have looked had

Mr MacElwie been on the 21:57 forecast???

the same i would imagine. the bbc cant bias for their own opinion.

Posted

Dazza has just managed an entire forecast without saying the word mild!

However, he has downgraded Tuesday's forecast in the south and south-east from heavy snow to sleet and rain.

Sadly, no Mr McElwee. He's probably too busy building a sledge.

Posted

So this is a BIG DOWNGRADE then. Whats the point of snow if it gets washed away by rain a few hours later. We will never learn. If the METO warn of snow it will be a let down. If they don't give any warning then we'll get blizzards :winky:

Posted
So this is a BIG DOWNGRADE then. Whats the point of snow if it gets washed away by rain a few hours later. We will never learn. If the METO warn of snow it will be a let down. If they don't give any warning then we'll get blizzards :winky:

Bear in mind that Dazza doesn't like cold weather and if there's the slightest chance of it warming up will emphasize it (within the bounds of the MetO 'message' for the day). See discussion in the scary model discussion thread for a totally unbiased discussion of the forecasts for Monday/Tuesday :lol:

Latest forecast showed snow symbols for western cities, and even sleet for London on Tuesday.

He did say that though that rain, sleet and snow is likely on Tuesday.

All regional forecast seem far more upbeat about this and the strange thing is, the UKMO model has NOT changed for the worse this evening.

Posted
Our local weather at 10.30ish said snow for Tuesday the grafic was heavier than Mondays. Why then does the UK forcast say sleet and rain for my area on tuesday. Who is right i am confused.

If you're talking BBC, the local teatime/late evening forecast will have been done using the 06z MetO runs. The national 10.35 forecast will have been done using the 12z MetO runs, which is why they're different.

Posted

I don't know if this has been mentioned but for the post-10 o'clock news presenters you have:

Saturday: Peter Gibbs

Sunday: Peter Gibbs

Monday: Rob McElwee

Tuesday: Rob McElwee

Wednesday: Darren Bett

Thursday: Darren Bett

Friday: Darren Bett

Posted
If you're talking BBC, the local teatime/late evening forecast will have been done using the 06z MetO runs. The national 10.35 forecast will have been done using the 12z MetO runs, which is why they're different.

but the 12z ukmo runs were better than the 06z yet they appear to be downplaying tuesdays event?? im baffled ,need mr murr's theory

Posted

Quote Darren Bett on Weatherview just now: "Those winds now picking up from the east, never a good direction at this time of year."

:lol: I'm sure many here would disagree! :lol:

What exactly is a good direction for him at this time of year? Dear me...

Posted

Its when snow is forecast that I miss the old BBC weather symbols. I want to see snow flake shapes, not while dashes :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

bbc charts show mild sector well, warm front virtually over NW midlands, milder to the SE, i miss the old bbc symbols, looks like becoming completely non existant from 2 feb, isnt it all becoming like bbc beta?

Posted

Once again a pretty vague forecast by the BBC. Snow flurries extending inland tomorrow but no graphics for monday peter gibbs just said its going to get "Pretty Awful" for monday and stated an early warning. So the BBC is still kept guessing with the charts as well as us.

What a fascinating time to live in the Uk though. I mean we *could* be on the verge of a nationwide snow event. There isnt anywhere i would rather be now!

Glad the LP is progged to move more East so this gives a bigger area for continuing colder uppers with no mild mush.

Posted
Once again a pretty vague forecast by the BBC. Snow flurries extending inland tomorrow but no graphics for monday peter gibbs just said its going to get "Pretty Awful" for monday and stated an early warning. So the BBC is still kept guessing with the charts as well as us.

What a fascinating time to live in the Uk though. I mean we *could* be on the verge of a nationwide snow event. There isnt anywhere i would rather be now!

Glad the LP is progged to move more East so this gives a bigger area for continuing colder uppers with no mild mush.

Yeah the bbc are still being edgy in their forecasts - can't really blame them.

Posted
Yeah the bbc are still being edgy in their forecasts - can't really blame them.

I don't like the way the charts on the BBC totally play-down how widespread the snow showers could be.

Anyway, why are the forecasts talking about snow showers, when in fact there

will be more-organised bands of snowfall, associated with weather fronts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
What exactly is a good direction for him at this time of year? Dear me...

South-westerly.

I can guarantee that if this event had been forecast 10, maybe even 5 years ago, the forecasters would not have been emphasising "Snow is a Bad ThingTM" in their forecasts as much. I'm guessing it must be a BBC thing, as while I do recall the Met Office encouraging forecasters to put a positive slant on forecasts to make people feel happier, I can't see how portraying an intense hatred of snow prior to a snow event comes under that category.

As for the BBC saying "snow showers", that's what we can expect tomorrow, and it isn't until later on Monday that the persistent precipitation moves through. It is fair enough that they're being cautious but again, prior to the launch of the new graphics, chances are they'd have given a probabilistic overview of early next week.

Posted
South-westerly.

I can guarantee that if this event had been forecast 10, maybe even 5 years ago, the forecasters would not have been emphasising "Snow is a Bad ThingTM" in their forecasts as much. I'm guessing it must be a BBC thing, as while I do recall the Met Office encouraging forecasters to put a positive slant on forecasts to make people feel happier, I can't see how portraying an intense hatred of snow prior to a snow event comes under that category.

As for the BBC saying "snow showers", that's what we can expect tomorrow, and it isn't until later on Monday that the persistent precipitation moves through. It is fair enough that they're being cautious but again, prior to the launch of the new graphics, chances are they'd have given a probabilistic overview of early next week.

Do you not think this is perhaps a response to the demographic shift of the UK population in that there are now more pensioners than 16 year olds? I'm pretty sure there will be far more of the older generation interested in the weather during the winter months, not least because of soaring energy and heating costs.

Like any service provider, one has to 'keep the customer satisfied' - playing to a minority of weather enthusiasts is simply not a priority.

ffO.