Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

BBC TV Weather Forecasts

J10

Posted

Just seen the latest weather forcaste for friday night saturday that a cold front is moving down the uk(heaviest snow in the west of uk).The last time this happened we in swales had 10cm of snow in 3hours.

Posted

BBC Reporting Scotland and Heather has shown the first graphic I've seen for Friday. Basically, 1ºC max temp in cities, but unless you live in the western or northernmost quarters of Scotland it's nothing but bright and sunny.

Posted
BBC Reporting Scotland and Heather has shown the first graphic I've seen for Friday. Basically, 1ºC max temp in cities, but unless you live in the western or northernmost quarters of Scotland it's nothing but bright and sunny.

Snow for here then? (i missed it) Showing a lot of snow on the graphics is rare for Heather, so that shouldn't get anyone downhearted :)

Posted

Have to say I was a wee bit disturbed by the NI BBC forecast, which seemed to show nothing but sleety showers for the North coast on Friday, with only lying snow in the Foyle area and around North East Antrim.

On the positive side, the forecaster is pretty useless and failed entirely with our surprise snow event in January.

Whilst the majority are looking at the charts now, I would urge caution over expecting anything significant away from the NW-

Taking the 18z in isolation & NOT using the fax its a VERY dry run with a rainy breakdown- with the exception of some tracnsitional sleet over the pennines-

The back edge snow for the South is poor, the trough is OK around 54-- but at a time when suface temps arent condusive to Accumulations & saturday looks dry-

Not really that enthraling is it??

The updated 96 Hr fax that you cannot see on WZ yet is poor with the frontal zone not occluded to the SW--

All in all I wouldnt be to expectant- In fact other than NI & the NW expect Nothing--

S

that does not sound to promising steve but i alluded to the latest beeb forecast a short while ago and it didnt give all that much hope away from the nw to be honest

Posted

10pm BBC forecast has a new "feels like" map, never seen that one before! It showed the temperature would feel more like -6c etc

Also had a lot more precipitation on it for friday with what seemed like a band of light snow over N.England.

Posted
Have to say I was a wee bit disturbed by the NI BBC forecast, which seemed to show nothing but sleety showers for the North coast on Friday, with only lying snow in the Foyle area and around North East Antrim.

On the positive side, the forecaster is pretty useless and failed entirely with our surprise snow event in January.

Yea, probably scared to get caught out again. She is probably using out of date charts as well. Why did they not show the main BBC weather tonight after the news in NI showed some stupid cartoon thing for 5mins instead.

You would think with the gales tonight and risk of snow from tomorrow night it would be a good idea to keep the public informed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The "wind chill temperature" is misleading anyway, as it's based on the potential temperature that would arise if exposed skin was left against the wind for a period of time, based on the amount of heat lost. In reality, most people have clothes on, and the reactions of the individual to cold winds depends on personal metabolism, health, etc. Although, this seems to be a problem with most forecasts these days, they love their wind chill temperatures.

I often get the feeling that with the "need" to avoid presenting data that supposedly "disenfranchises" everybody, there is, regrettably, more tendency to take up time on forecasts dealing with such low-importance factors. Like the "tour" of Britain, which means you only get to see what's happening in your area for a small fraction of the forecast, and the first half of it is taken up by the 8am weather.

• 1 month later...
Posted

Something I've picked up on watching forecasts in recent weeks is the phrase 'west is best'- this phrase really annoys me as it would appear they just say it because it rhymes.. they don't have a rhyme for the north, east or south (when they are looking the 'best'). They have used it today to describe this weekends weather, if they are to continue to do this then i think they need to come up with equivalent rhymes for the east, north and south.. more dumming down speak i think.

Posted
Something I've picked up on watching forecasts in recent weeks is the phrase 'west is best'- this phrase really annoys me as it would appear they just say it because it rhymes.. they don't have a rhyme for the north, east or south (when they are looking the 'best'). They have used it today to describe this weekends weather, if they are to continue to do this then i think they need to come up with equivalent rhymes for the east, north and south.. more dumming down speak i think.

Really? Admittedly I don't catch forecasts during the day (when they're aimed at a particular demographic assumed to be thick, so are dumbed down to) but I've not heard 'west is best' on the BBC or Channel 4, ever, even from the likes of mild-ramper Darren Bett and others (not picking on him, honest), who appear not to like the cold or Dan Corbett who would surely introduce a catch phrase if he could. Also, given that this weekend's prevailing winds are going to be from the north, how did they manage to introduce the idea that west is best? What forecasts has this been appearing on (so that the rest of us can avoid them)?

CR

• 2 months later...
Posted

BBC seem very confident today i.e. the 10.30 pm forecast mentioned the weekend, some 6 days away, its been a long time since they have even mentioned anything 4 days ahead. Quite refreshing for them to put a 'heads up' so to speak.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted

Typical mix ushered in by October's arrival.

Eric Morecambe once memorably told the conductor Andre Previn that he was playing all the right notes on his piano but not necessarily in the right order. As October stretches out before forecasters, they might be forgiven for using a similar excuse.

The month could well bring the first really wet and windy spell of autumn, the chance of an Indian summer, the first frosts in southern Britain or the first snowfalls in the highlands of Scotland. To return to the comedy analogy, the secret is in the timing.

Despite all the scenarios listed above being possible, some are a little more likely than others. The forecast for the forthcoming week puts a spell of wet and windy weather well towards the top of the table of possibilities. The chances of an Indian summer are most certainly in the relegation zone.

For those of you with a long memory, I should perhaps point out that although this week's forecast does predict a spell of wet and windy weather, it won't match the effects of The Great Storm of October 1987.

Monday 29 September 2008 to Sunday 05 October 2008

storm_cloud_dramatic.jpg"Very windy conditions mark midweek across the British Isles"

After a short spell of fine weather for many parts of the British Isles, the weather pattern looks decidedly more mobile through the week. Low pressure close by to the north ensures a blustery, showery start to the period with a brief dry spell in the south.

Midweek is marked by the first significant autumn gales as a deep area of low pressure moves east to lie in the northern part of the North Sea. Severe gales are possible and there may well be some disruption to travel.

This windy weather will also be accompanied by rain on Tuesday and prolonged, blustery showers on Wednesday.

Thursday and Friday should be marked by something of a drop in temperatures as the wind veers into the north to northwest. Areas fully exposed to this unstable airstream will see copious showers.

Those parts lying in the shelter of high ground may experience somewhat drier conditions. The wind will still be a significant element of the weather in all areas.

Monday 06 October 2008 to Sunday 12 October 2008

rain_01.jpg"Little sign of an Indian summer as high pressure recedes"

The Azores high is expected to remain centred to the south of the United Kingdom throughout the week, allowing frontal systems to move in from the Atlantic.

The weather will be typically autumnal with spells of wet and windy weather, interspersed with brighter, showery conditions.

Rainfall will be above the average in the north and west whilst being below average in the southeast. A brisk southwest to northwesterly airstream will keep temperatures close to the seasonal norm.

Monday 13 October 2008 to Sunday 26 October 2008

sunriseandsunset_04.jpg"Highly changeable pattern to conclude the month"

Little change is expected in the overall weather pattern, although pressure is expected to be generally lower as the Azores high slips a little further south.

This will probably mean that the weather will remain unsettled and changeable across the whole of the United Kingdom.

Rainfall is likely to be above average in most areas, including the southeast. Temperatures are set to remain close to the seasonal norm.

Indian summer or autumn gales? Watch this space

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/monthly_outlook.shtml

opps can some one move this plz

Edited by Stuart

• 2 months later...
Posted

i would have been on early just watched mastermind, on to-night BBC look east our weather girl Julie renger gave us our 5 days up to Saturday for Friday and Saturday she was giving snow showers and still very cold

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/ondeman...16x9&bbwm=1

that the link i was going to post before Paul locked it with Julie showing the snow showers for Friday and Saturday

Posted

There was actually a very interesting hint from Darren Bett, of all people on the lunchtime radio 4 forecast. He spoke of some very cold air heading our way in the longer term. I went back & checked the models at the time, shooky my head sagely & decided he was just winding me up :crazy:

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Just need somewhere to rant :whistling:

BBC weather = Bloody awful! for the last 3 weekends they have got the forecast for my area completely wrong, costing me a fair amount of money. Take today for instance, its supposed to be bright with sunshine, now have I got that here?? - Have I ****! Not happy

Posted
Splendid snow potential on this run for the north west of England. Cumbria probably the place to be. Would expect several inches of snow there on Tuesday.

To quote the BBC weather at 2235:

" a return to the white stuff could be on the cards following the storm blowing through" followed by a mischievous grin.....! :D