Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The cold spell

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

I am upset. On Sunday Countryfile got my hopes up. They said it was going to get COLDER this weekend but OH NO ITV said last night its going to get WARMER this weekend.

AAAAAAAAH! What went wrong!?

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Its not sleet its just sorta drizzley stuff, cant even call it drizzle :lol:

I did hear the words "did you see the snow before" uttered before and the ground was wet, I didnt believe them though until I saw the temperatures!

I am upset. On Sunday Cpuntryfile got mup gopes up. They said it was going to get COLDER tyhis weekend but OH NO ITV said last night its going to get WARMWE this weekend.

AAAAAAAAH! What went wrong!?

ITV's forecast was what went wrong I think, from what I can see it's only getting a little milder (maybe 8-9C?)

But at least it will be mild....

:whistling:

:lol: Ill get your coat for you ! ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Well my "cold spell"has just contained sleet, suppose i should be greatfull . :whistling: :lol: :lol:

Posted

Gosh it's pretty grim in here isn't it? I can almost feel it.

Chin up chaps. At least we can look forward to summer heat and storms! (Unless zonality continues into summer and brings us muggy cloudy mid-level inversions and drizzle....)

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
Well my "cold spell"has just contained sleet, suppose i should be greatfull . ;) :lol: :lol:

Forgot me one night of hard air frost,COME ON. ;):drinks:

Chin up chaps. At least we can look forward to summer heat and storms! (Unless zonality continues into summer and brings us muggy cloudy mid-level inversions and drizzle....)

Cant wait till we hit 37c, again .At least its extreme unlike our rank so called winter.Just to note its quite chilly in sheff, ie 1987. :lol: :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

All i got was a report of a snow shower on the Misses way to work at 0630 yesterday that was at 100m, here i saw a grand total of 2 flakes yesterday morning :whistling:

February will do the business, i hope.

Failing that a volcanic eruption cooling the earth a bit, might be the best hope-cast :lol:

Russ

Posted

Roasted nuts anyone??

I only ask because It seems I have a couple spare.. :lol:

:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
All i got was a report of a snow shower on the Misses way to work at 0630 yesterday that was at 100m, here i saw a grand total of 2 flakes yesterday morning :whistling:

February will do the business, i hope.

Failing that a volcanic eruption cooling the earth a bit, might be the best hope-cast :lol:

Russ

Volcanic eruption? closest to that is Yellowstone but that would probably just wipe most of the human race out!

Posted
Volcanic eruption? closest to that is Yellowstone but that would probably just wipe most of the human race out!

Good. I think a lot of us need our arses kicked by mother nature.

Posted
Good. I think a lot of us need our arses kicked by mother nature.

You're almost certainly right, you get a kind of metaphorical feeling that what we are doing to Earth is annoying the Earth somewhat and Volcanoes and Earthquakes re just the Earth's revenge. Nice tale for a story book anyway, but i'd like to think of it that way! Humans trash the world and expect to be left untouched by nature? (anyway going off topic a bit here)

Posted

The ones on Iceland gave us the little ice age, i think (not 100% sure). Something to give us that degree or so of cold we have lost lately, just a little-ish one, not the Armageddon one, i wouldn't want that. :whistling:

All that's required is some volcano in the middle of nowhere to give off a bit too much smoke and dust.

Probably got a better chance of happening than the Beast from the East :lol:

Russ

0.3 c here now b/w so the cold spell is still here.....

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
The ones on Iceland gave us the little ice age, i think (not 100% sure). Something to give us that degree or so of cold we have lost lately, just a little-ish one, not the Armageddon one, i wouldn't want that. :whistling:

All that's required is some volcano in the middle of nowhere to give off a bit too much smoke and dust.

Probably got a better chance of happening than the Beast from the East :lol:

Russ

Ah so a Krakatoa or Mount St Helens. Actually they may not be too far away from erupting, Mt St. Helens is due to erupt in the next 10 years, but I think itll only be a minor eruption because the one in the 1980's was quite severe and I cant imagine pressure has built up that quick to be honest. Volcanic activity seems to be quite low recently, so I wouldnt hold hope if an ice age taking place. Maybe we'll have to rely on our primary weather patterns for now!

Posted
Ah so a Krakatoa or Mount St Helens. Actually they may not be too far away from erupting, Mt St. Helens is due to erupt in the next 10 years, but I think itll only be a minor eruption because the one in the 1980's was quite severe and I cant imagine pressure has built up that quick to be honest. Volcanic activity seems to be quite low recently, so I wouldnt hold hope if an ice age taking place. Maybe we'll have to rely on our primary weather patterns for now!

Yes i agree with you, i haven't lost hope of a good spell of cold this winter, the current spell at least made the place feel winery

Russ

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

St Helens is currently eurpting Krakatoa is doing much at the present time but isn't likely to go bang in a big style.

As for over doing Snow depths someone once drove up our road and posted on here that there was deep snow. Strange as the only covering was a slight patchy dusting on one side of the road. I believe the same person posted a foot of Snow one Christmas which again was strange as I was driving in it and there was only about an inch cover and the Snow soon stopped for the day.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

But at least, it wouldn't be mild :D

Posted

Woke up to a dusting of snow this morning, temps around 1.2c. The cold spell delivered a little snow here in Essex but to be fair i did not expect much from this particular cold spell

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
Moderate Snow here in bexleyheath.. :D

Its the last for a while...

S

Ditto, settling aswell, though on ppn radar shows sleet over SE.

Posted
No those were taken on the Hills west of us in Jan 2001. I certainly remember a HUGE amount and it was one of the best snow events for many years, but those pics and their dates were given to me by my mother who is NOT the most reliable source of information! :D

As somebody who lives "in the hills to the west of [you]" I rather suspect that she has indeed got her timings wrong; I still suspect she's mixed some holiday snaps in there too! lol

In my eight winters up here on Stratos Moor we have not had more than 4-5" of snow at any time. The last snow THAT heavy that I can recall fell, I think, in winter 1997.

Posted

Interesting to awake to a light dusting of snow in north Norwich this morning. That will be the last for a few days now but it will be nice the have some seasonal temps.