Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The cold spell

Posted

The best snowfall since April believe it or not so very poor,but the wind direction wasn`t favourable.

Very little ppn here also and wrong side of marginal one night,but very little then anyway.

Temperature wise not too bad as we had our coldest night at -2.4c last night since March 23rd -2.7c then.

The snow still hasn`t thawed out of the wind in the shade down here either as there`s still a few patches left,it`s gone everywhere else,except over the distant hills.

But the best thing about this is the hard frosts 2 days ago and again last night and sunny/clear which has dried everything up. :doh:

Posted

Thanks Nimbus

Very much the same here in the south of the county, small covering yesterday morning and again this morning but sadly all long gone with temp up to 5

Posted

Very happy!

First snowfall of the winter and first day with snow lying in London at 9am since 2005 and also first frost of winter 2006/7 (-.6 deg C). Only the one frost though.

Nice to see the white stuff can still penetrate the heart of the Metropolis even in the GW era.

Just looking at all the ppl who say best cold spell for several years snow-wise e.g. SE London areas and I am astonished! Have we not seen better ones in the past 5 years eg Jan 04, Dec 05, Feb/March 06?

Or is 5cm of snow really that rare down south these days?

Yeti, there was no snowfall in London in Feb March 06, in Dec 05 we had less than an inch , Jan 04 we had maybe an inch and a half one evening but was melted by the next lunchtime. snow is rare in London . The last time there was 8 inches or more was in 1991, before that, 1963.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Not bad at all. A widespread 2cm pasting, first all-surface covering for 2 years. I was very pleased to record a maximum temperature of 2.2C in sunshine. And, to watch the precipitation turn from rain to sleet and then wet snow was very interesting.

This cold spell certainly surpassed my expectations. Although, a wonter is still on the cards.

Edited by Supercell

Posted

Have to say, I have been very pleased with this cold spell. Theres nothing like unexpected snow falling (and settling) over night - like it did tuesday into wednesday morning. :)

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

Didn't happen, end of.

Posted
Very happy!

First snowfall of the winter and first day with snow lying in London at 9am since 2005 and also first frost of winter 2006/7 (-.6 deg C). Only the one frost though.

Nice to see the white stuff can still penetrate the heart of the Metropolis even in the GW era.

Yeti, there was no snowfall in London in Feb March 06, in Dec 05 we had less than an inch , Jan 04 we had maybe an inch and a half one evening but was melted by the next lunchtime. snow is rare in London . The last time there was 8 inches or more was in 1991, before that, 1963.

I had just moved to London in 1991 and there was deep snow that seemed to last for ages and I thought that it must be always like that, it was even snowy right in the centre!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

It was pretty terrible here considering my position on the East Coast. One light dusting on Tuesday morning and the rest fell as hail and sleet or even rain at times. One of the hailstorms was quite impressive though but very localised. Hail up to pea sized and a covering of the pavements. It was literally a case of having no hail on the ground, walking 100 metres and it being white over and then walking a further 250 metres and there was no hail again. That storm looked quite pretty from the back too. Shame I didn't have my camera with me that day.

Posted

Fairly decent cold spell by this countrys standards here, the most snow seen in 3 years (2cm), At the end of the day though it was still a fairly poor cold spell, just goes to highlight how bad british winters are these days

Posted

2 or 3cm yesterday morning looked great first thing. The slush freezing into an ice rink on the roads between East and West Sussex was a little worrying but then that’s a Council/Highways Agency gritting issue.

Is it just the snow falling that people are so hyped (sorry I mean romantic) about, is it the dusting we had that makes the landscape look all 'old style' wintery, or is it the thick stuff we want to make igloos, snowmen and have snowball fights?

Some people seem content with a few hours giving a light covering but others need to be up to their necks in it for weeks. I just want an excuse not to go into work!!!

Posted

Mostly icy frosts overnight, and very nice crisp sunny days following. We had the merest suggestion of a sprinkling of snow, almost like someone throwing a pinch of salt over their salad. Nothing that lasted too long though, and it was mainly wet sleet, so melted away in the sunshine the following day. Elevation is a noteworthy factor in regards to snowfall, once you start to climbing up into them hills, the chance, and depth of snowfall increases considerably. Weather this will be it for this winter, or the forebearer of more promising snowfalls in the next few weeks.......remains to be seen.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
Very happy!

It's funny how a few miles make a difference. My brother lives in Darmouth Park near the back end of Hamsptead Heath and he's had 3 frosts this week alone, the coldest being -2.3C. He'd a good inch an half of snow the other morning. Is this another north vs south london thing ? :)

Posted

I have been very pleased recently. It was so nice to see somethigng wintry for change and I did quite well on Tuesday night with about am inch of snow. I can understand the frustration some people must be having with this recent cold snap and I hope that February provides a decent widespread event that will be remembered for years.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
A widespread 2cm pasting

Does 2cm count as a pasting?

Glad you enjoyed it though.

Posted
2 or 3cm yesterday morning looked great first thing. The slush freezing into an ice rink on the roads between East and West Sussex was a little worrying but then that’s a Council/Highways Agency gritting issue.

Is it just the snow falling that people are so hyped (sorry I mean romantic) about, is it the dusting we had that makes the landscape look all 'old style' wintery, or is it the thick stuff we want to make igloos, snowmen and have snowball fights?

Some people seem content with a few hours giving a light covering but others need to be up to their necks in it for weeks. I just want an excuse not to go into work!!!

I think its a combination and to give those wollys that print siberian freeze etc something to really print about, so about 10" of snow for two days running which then stays around for a couple of weeks would be good for me., ideally id prefer proper seasons where you can expect snow to be on the ground between dec-feb.

Posted

It hasn't been too bad here really, more so just nippy with some maximas of about 3/4ºc I think. It's still only 4ºc here today. Was nice waking up to a covering of snow yesterday!! Even if it was only 1". First snow of the season and all. Although can't really complain much, haven't had anything great to compare it to in a while!

At the moment, i'm just praying to all those holy that this is an appetiser and we have the main course in the ove... er, freezer waiting to be dished up!! hopefully it'll be a long defrost haha.

Posted

I think it depends on your definition of a good cold spell. For me, <5cm is poor, 5-7cm reasonable, 7-10cm good and anything above that very good. Excellent is 20cm + IMO which does happen here every 5 years or so.

I think the snow has to "cover the grass" for me for it to be good, I have always used the grass in the garden as a boundary. It looks so much better when the garden is blanketed than when you have intrusive green freckles poking their rude noses out of the snow. :)

Posted

It is still snowing here. Not laying. Yeti i don't know how much snow you get where you are but this is unusual for us in this modern time. You are showing how young you are with your comments my daughter is your age. The snow has been featured on the news because it is so unusual. That must surely prove to you why we are all so pleased with what we are seeing.

Your posts seem to come over antagonistic and sarcastic. I am old enough to remember times when we had more snow on the ground than you have ever seen in your life for England.

By the way why are you not at school?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Great anticipation on Sunday afternoon as a significant area of snow develooped about 30-60 miles north of here.

Enhanced anticipation by early Sunday evening as the area of snow began to edge south.

A growing sense of frustration as it stalled about 10-20 miles north of me.

Frustration turning to desperation later on Sunday evening as the band of snow, now moving south, wheezed its' last breath and was dead on arrival.

Anger, tears, rattle throwing and wailing on Monday morning as I looked out to see hills only 6 miles away and lower than me, covered in a thick mantle of snow; here, nothing.

Sulking, mumbling, stamping of feet, hiding in room with blanket over head on Tuesday morning when same hills were still gleaming white while here it was a dull brown.

Lightening of mood, dissipation of frustration, spring in step, attempts at smiling and communication on Wednesday morning after 3.5cm of snow overnight; all tempered by the sour taste that only 6 miles away there had been two extra days with lying snow.

Gnashing of teeth and attempts at self flagellation during Wednesday as the snow rather unexpectedly thawed by early afternoon; but not on the hills 6 miles away where there was more to begin with.

Joy and excitement early Wednesday evening as a short but heavy snow shower gave another 1.5cm.

Thursday morning , 1.5cm snow cover and pleasant mood, mood tempered by nagging doubts that the snow would survive the day in continuous sunshine.

Anxiety and nervousness currently leading to an overwhelming desire to lie down and wish the afternoon away in the hope that no more snow thaws and I can wake tomorrow to at least an incomplete cover.

T.M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Can't really complain I suppose. Varying level of snow showers every day since Sunday, (which was the heaviest), so varying levels of snow-cover every morning, which has persisted throughout the day more or less. Not enough to cause any disruption though, which is how I generally rate any cold spell as being significant. Mind you, it's been nice during the sunny clear periods to look out over the southern Pennines which have maintained enough of a covering to look 'properly white' for the whole period.

Edit : sorry TM, it looks we nicked most of your snow (at least on Sunday anyway) :) !!!

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

Posted

Not even the slightest dusting. All that fell was sleet, rain, hail, graupel and very wet snow on occasion.

Erm...it's not a 'cold spell' in my eyes.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
Great anticipation on Sunday afternoon as a significant area of snow develooped about 30-60 miles north of here.

Enhanced anticipation by early Sunday evening as the area of snow began to edge south.

A growing sense of frustration as it stalled about 10-20 miles north of me.

Frustration turning to desperation later on Sunday evening as the band of snow, now moving south, wheezed its' last breath and was dead on arrival.

Anger, tears, rattle throwing and wailing on Monday morning as I looked out to see hills only 6 miles away and lower than me, covered in a thick mantle of snow; here, nothing.

Sulking, mumbling, stamping of feet, hiding in room with blanket over head on Tuesday morning when same hills were still gleaming white while here it was a dull brown.

Lightening of mood, dissipation of frustration, spring in step, attempts at smiling and communication on Wednesday morning after 3.5cm of snow overnight; all tempered by the sour taste that only 6 miles away there had been two extra days with lying snow.

Gnashing of teeth and attempts at self flagellation during Wednesday as the snow rather unexpectedly thawed by early afternoon; but not on the hills 6 miles away where there was more to begin with.

Joy and excitement early Wednesday evening as a short but heavy snow shower gave another 1.5cm.

Thursday morning , 1.5cm snow cover and pleasant mood, mood tempered by nagging doubts that the snow would survive the day in continuous sunshine.

Anxiety and nervousness currently leading to an overwhelming desire to lie down and wish the afternoon away in the hope that no more snow thaws and I can wake tomorrow to at least an incomplete cover.

T.M

Thats an absolute classic TM ! :) One of the best posts I've read on here in ages, by the way its snowing here again! just joking!

Posted

Anyone in the building trade?

When was the last time you programmed for 2 weeks or more over the winter for snow and/or 0c or less, stopping concrete pour or such ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For me, it's definitely the meteorology of it... the way snow cover makes the landscape look different, the way clouds look different when they contain snow down to low levels, the wide variety in visibility as towering Cu/Cb cells bring snow showers and fog-like whiteouts, with good visibility during clear intervals. I like to study the temperature and think "how cold does it have to get for sleet, snow, settling snow etc".

I did get some of those things- I saw a shallow snow cover on Tuesday morning, and there were plenty of beefy showers heading in from the North Sea on Monday and Wednesday. However, there was always a feeling that it would've been a lot more exciting had it been a couple of degrees colder.

Posted
It is still snowing here. Not laying. Yeti i don't know how much snow you get where you are but this is unusual for us in this modern time. You are showing how young you are with your comments my daughter is your age. The snow has been featured on the news because it is so unusual. That must surely prove to you why we are all so pleased with what we are seeing.

Your posts seem to come over antagonistic and sarcastic. I am old enough to remember times when we had more snow on the ground than you have ever seen in your life for England.

By the way why are you not at school?

I'm truanting :) . No lol I have exam leave even though the exams have finished :) Sounds odd I know but don't go back until Monday.

I don't recall denying people's pleasure from the snow :) ; from my last post I quote: "Glad you enjoyed it" which isn't exactly indicative of ignorance to supercell's enjoyment... Although sometimes it is hard to imagine how some people are over the moon with 2cm when it is nothing unusual here. However, I was not aware of how little snow the SE has had - whilst I knew it was not as much as here, comments like "3cm, most snow for 3 years" were unbelievable to me as I could not imagine so little. Forgive me for early assumptions.

Sometimes I do feel that seeing as I am younger than most on here, I am not taken as seriously, sometimes getting patronising responses, though this is to be expected.

It was difficult to be positive about this cold spell from my point of view (and you can see PP shared the same difficulty) and so when I saw people over-ramping 2 nights ago I was sceptical and negative towards a snowy outcome (some people were mentioning 10cm) which was not unjustified. Some people gave an angry response towards the negativity, deeming it "mild ramping" and so when the cold spell did turn out to be a damp squib for Northern areas it was difficult not to be sarcastic - I did not want to be negative and could not be positive so I had to opt for something in between to avoid a re-run of 2 nights ago. Clearly this did not work either!

As for antagonism, I was not aware of any hostility. If there was/is, then do point it out to me via a PM as I would not wish it to continue. Obviously in writing there is no tone of voice and so sometimes it can read very differently to what was intended!

And finally about not seeing much snow in England - this is not strictly true, though it is of the past 5 years - in January 2001 we recorded the scenes below! Quite impressive as you can see (30cm at our house, up to 40 on surrounding hills, of which these photos were taken).

As I say if there is an issue then PM me so it can be sorted out. I need to clean the house now though so may not get a quick response! :)

post-5260-1169735766_thumb.jpg

post-5260-1169735784_thumb.jpg

post-5260-1169735800_thumb.jpg