Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The cold spell

Posted
Gracie, the town centre usually doesen't fare as well as the outskirts of Leicester when it snows. It's usually a degree warmer than where I live 3 miles away from he city centre, I live on a slight hill aswell and our road had around 5cm at 3am on wednesday morning, by 12pm though most of it had melted which was a shame :(

I wasn't suggesting your figures were wrong. What I was trying to say, but didn't phrase it properly, was, 'even the city centre got 2cm'. Whoops.

My parents live just out from Nottingham city centre, in Gedling, where it meets Mapperley Top. There were frequent times when I lived there with the city centre getting nothing, even just rain, yet the buses struggling in the slush/snow by my parents house.

I was living in Long Eaton in 2004 and we missed the whole Thundersnow thing.

Posted
Really? Well I would think this was better than having the same old mild muck again.

If I am going to get something i want it to be worth it as i got reasonably excited for some snow where i recieved little

SM06

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
I wasn't suggesting your figures were wrong. What I was trying to say, but didn't phrase it properly, was, 'even the city centre got 2cm'. Whoops.

My parents live just out from Nottingham city centre, in Gedling, where it meets Mapperley Top. There were frequent times when I lived there with the city centre getting nothing, even just rain, yet the buses struggling in the slush/snow by my parents house.

I was living in Long Eaton in 2004 and we missed the whole Thundersnow thing.

It's ok Gracie :( Yeah the city centre usually struggles to have snow settling so its surprising that it got about 2-3cm!

I think it's like the warmness of the buildings and the fact its all a built up area around City's like in our case of Leicester and Nottingham. But in more rural areas and areas away from the City warming effect snow can settle better and last longer on the ground.

I'm surprised you missed that thundersnow event in 2004, people seem to think that because it was called thundersnow it means that it thundered a fair bit, but where I am it started off as rain then started to change to sleety snow, then 5 minutes later it turned into a full on blizzard with a few cracks of thunder, and that was all the thunder we got from it. But it did carry on snowing a blizzard and lasted for about an hour or more!

Posted
So whats the chance of a widespread snow over the next month or so... ?

Isn't there normally some sort of 'Northerly Blast' at the end of FEB ?

Hopefully charts similar to this. :(

The start of one of my favourte winters ever in 1986.

Rrea00119860128.gif

Rrea00119630202.gifRtavn00120060225.png

Posted

Pretty dissapointing here with only one overnight frost (last night) due it being quite windy through the cold spell. No snow either, both times we have had short periods of snow this winter so far it has been in a 'cold spell'. Still it beats wet, mild and wild :(

Posted

Not too bad at all for Norfolk - Tuesday evening saw heavy showers and Wednesday morning, there was a snowy outburst for a few minutes this morning giving another dusting and the 3 cms or so from Wednesday remains on the grass and fields in places. Nothing very deep, but certainly what I would expect from a 96 hour toppler. Crisp air too which helps. Eastern Norfolk fared much better than Mid Norfolk which saw a sprinkling Monday night and the heavy showers Tuesday evening (patches of which, and I mean patches in the sense of little bobbles here and there, remain)

Posted

Was pleased to wake up to a covering of snow on Weds morning enough to make a little snow man and to see cars sliding around on the road or trying to get up a hilll, wheels just spinning! Taking little one to school was a lovely experience with all the local children throwing snowballs at each other and more than usual walking to school - snow creates such a magical atmosphere. It brought back memories of my childhood snow :( We also walked to school through the local woods and it was so beautiful and peaceful, the snowy silence. Shame it didn't last the day though! Then awoke to a little dust of snow this morning which was nice. Shame I didn't catch any of it falling though! Must get some kind of snow alert alarm to wake me up - or perhaps NW do that with the text alert thing.

I also love reading everyone else's experiences and seeing their pics on here! Looking forward to the next x

Posted

It was okay, nothing to write home about. A couple of good hours of lampost watching, didn't really settle down here though.

It ain't over yet is it? At least for me, I am probably in the last corner of snow I can see about to come in on the radar (is there a topic still open for discussing this?)

Posted

Not too bad I suppose in these' warmer days'. The only thing that saved it from being a complete disaster was the snow we had in the early hours of Wednesday morning. It was probably just as well it started at 4 am where I live as I doubt very much if it would have accummulated during daylight hours to any degree. Anyway I measured between 3-4cm. This is actually the most for several years at my location. Was a great sight watching it arrive between 4 and 5 and just a shame it virtually all went by yesterday afternoon, I was surprised by that!. Slight covering this morning as well today and looks like a frost tonight and icy roads.

Still a bit disappointed that the heavy snow shoers for SE england failed to materialise. Qish I had taken a few photos during the night . Did take a couple in the morning. Overall marks out of ten ??? 6 and a half !!

post-651-1169747981_thumb.jpg

Posted

As someone else said, it depends on your original expectations. Living on the coastal plain I expected wet snow at best. There was a thin covering Tues morning and a number of short sleet showers so it was in line with expectations and in fact exceeded them. It wasn't particularly cold at any stage. We've had a couple of far harder frosts up here this winter. In general it's been less cold and less snowy than normal but there's still a few weeks to go. I'm not prepared to write this winter off yet.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Well the current cold spell which finally relenquished it's snow flurries late afternoon to clearer skies made a welcome break from the conveyor of Atlantic lows which dominated Nov, early/late Dec and much of this month, though it won't be remember as particularly standing out in a few years' time.

Normally for a cold spell to be remembered by me, it has to give at least 10cm of snow, the late Dec '05 Easterly fitted that criteria with 13cm near Ashford after a few days of heavy snow showers. There are the odd exceptions, although the 28th Jan '04 snow event didn't make 10cms, the presence of thunder and lightning certainly makes it memorable for a long time yet.

On an aside, I noticed that while walking the roadside footpath over a railway bridge in town earlier, the footpath had a layer of slush and wet snow on it, however where the bridge ended and the path continued over terra firma the path was no longer covered by the reminants of snowfall accumulations - cold air circulation beneath bridge and no ground warmth I guess.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

My cold spell was ok. I woke up to about an inch of snow on Tuesday and Wednesday morning which had melted away by afternoon. I was disappointed by the high dew points which made everything slushy, indeed if they had been lower then by Wednesday afternoon there would have been at least 10cm I reckon.

Overall; C-. Disappointing, but given the mild conditions both here and to the north it couldn't have been much better.

Posted

There's a minute echo of green on the radar over Merseyside, it could be distributing a localised fall of sleet over somebody's house. :( Oooh the excitement of a even larger teapot.

Posted

Stonking cold spell here. Woke up to the most laying snow I have had here since the infamous Thundersnow event. To be honest my location is not really favourable to an easterly, north easterly or northerly unless they are really potent so I wasn't really expecting too much here anyway.

My advice to some of the newbies and winter only posters is to expect nothing and then you will not be disappointed when nothing happens. I expected nothing and got something so I am more than happy :(

If you start believing people posting 10cms here and 20cms there it all ends in tears as nobody can accurately predict that even with 24 hours notice.

Posted

For me in west london the two inches yesterday and the snow flurries this morning were more than we have got for two years so must say it was pretty good, if not short! Shows what can happen so suddenly after months of atlantic action!

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
Stonking cold spell here. Woke up to the most laying snow I have had here since the infamous Thundersnow event. To be honest my location is not really favourable to an easterly, north easterly or northerly unless they are really potent so I wasn't really expecting too much here anyway.

My advice to some of the newbies and winter only posters is to expect nothing and then you will not be disappointed when nothing happens. I expected nothing and got something so I am more than happy ;)

If you start believing people posting 10cms here and 20cms there it all ends in tears as nobody can accurately predict that even with 24 hours notice.

Haha well said definately good advice there. I think expectations nearly always outdo results these days - weather warnings coming out left, right and centre, the beeb over-ramping :( it's all been done before!

Posted

I think those of us South of the M4 should be wary of ice tomorrow morning ; there's going to be a hard frost followed by the chance of freezing drizzle from the Warm Front that's edging down.

Posted

it was ok for me a couple of hard frosts and about 3cm of snow tues night just hope get alot more snow from next cold spell :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Cold spell?

I can create deeper snowfalls by combing my hair :(

Posted

It was okay, certainly not stunning and probably not as good as the Feb 05 set-up but it was okay compared to recent colder set-ups here, tohugh obviously it doesn't even rank up with some of the colder set-ups in the past but in context it was nice and it was pleasent to see snow fall again and settle.