Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The cold spell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Looks like I survived the keyboard eating then :)

Told you that if anywhere in Kent got 5-10cm last night I would eat my keyboard, this is how confident I was that it wouldn't happen. I said some places might have got 2-4cm but anything over that just wasn't going to happen. And it appears that quite a few people in Kent woke up to either a dusting or nothing at all which isn't surprising IMO.

How was the cold spell for me? Well I was defanitly pleased with it, I got 5cm of snow from the occluded front that pushed into the east midlands from the north on tuesday night into wednesday morning and it snowed non-stop for 4 hours and a bit which made me delighted :)

Now what I would like to see is a nationwide big snowy cold snap in Feb or March that will give most people 10cm+ :)

I know it's not that likely to happen but we really need a lot of snow between now and april to make up for the relativly snowless winter so far!

Posted

Wow those pictures are beautiful shame we havent seen stuff like that here for a long old time :)

Well we saw the grand total of nowt from this, not even a dusting despite being in one of the "usual favoured locations" which as a phrase really gets on my moobs TBH lol.

30 miles inland into the city they got a small amount of an inch or so but being a coastal location which was where the action was supposed to be (according to many) it just didnt happen, we had about 1 snow shower and lots of hail. What was quite amusing was about 15 miles east of where we are in North Walsham the local schools got a snow day yet further east than that there was nothing again. It does seem that it came in in a small strip down the east-middle of norfolk and inland we were just a little bit too far West (Cley next the Sea, NR25).

Well here's to Feb I wanna get snowed in hehehehe

Congrats to all who did get some decent accumulations and fingers crossed for next time :)

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
Looks like I survived the keyboard eating then :)

Told you that if anywhere in Kent got 5-10cm last night I would eat my keyboard, this is how confident I was that it wouldn't happen. I said some places might have got 2-4cm but anything over that just wasn't going to happen. And it appears that quite a few people in Kent woke up to either a dusting or nothing at all which isn't surprising IMO.

How was the cold spell for me? Well I was defanitly pleased with it, I got 5cm of snow from the occluded front that pushed into the east midlands from the north on tuesday night into wednesday morning and it snowed non-stop for 4 hours and a bit which made me delighted :)

Now what I would like to see is a nationwide big snowy cold snap in Feb or March that will give most people 10cm+ :)

I know it's not that likely to happen but we really need a lot of snow between now and april to make up for the relativly snowless winter so far!

Yes well done to you for sticking your neck out and getting it right! Haha I was surprised myself at how little Kent had, considering 10cm was forecast for hilly areas.

Posted
Andy

I was reading your posts of certainty whilst snow watching here from my window last night. I'm afraid that the predictions of snow up to 10cms on hills was a good call by the METO. There was confirmation of that on the local news and weather forecast for this region at lunchtime with recordings from locations in the Weald and north downs. Many lowland areas had to 5 cms as well - there was 4 to 5cms here

Tamara

mmmmm I'm not so sure Tamara, I think it's more of a case that the hills had some snow left over from the front that came down through southern areas on wednesday morning, therefor last night just topped it up.

You say you had 5cm, which I do believe by the way, but sometimes people can over estimate the snow cover.

Posted
mmmmm I'm not so sure Tamara, I think it's more of a case that the hills had some snow left over from the front that came down through southern areas on wednesday morning, therefor last night just topped it up.

You say you had 5cm, which I do believe by the way, but sometimes people can over estimate the snow cover.

I'm still willing to lend you some condiments Andy?

:D

Posted
I'm still willing to lend you some condiments Andy?

:D

No need because I dont believe 5-10cm of snow fell last in Kent ;)

Posted
Don't think the Leicester snowfall was under doubt?

For someone who lives 100 or more away you have a very good eye it would seem for what is happening in this part of the country :D Unfortunately there is no recording of the news bulletin for you regarding the snowfall amounts on the higher parts

The snow cover from yesterday morning had all but gone from locations in East Sussex and Kent (bearing in mind many of last nights affected areas in Kent escaped the central band of snow from the previous night anyway). So there was no topping up involved - actually living in these parts I am confident enough of this.

Regarding the snow depths here, this is a supremely trivial matter anyway but if one was to exaggerate such a slight fall then the difference between a centimetre or two hardly be worth crowing about anyway ?? - so i am not sure of the point of any dubiousness on snow reports in this cold spell in the first place as none of the falls have been exactly exceptional anywhere.

Tamara

Well in Leicester I reported around 5cm fell but 30 miles south east of me, mackerel sky reported around 7cm ;)

I'm sorry at sounding like I know what amounts of snow Kent got last night, it's just by the time it was around 10pm and it looked as though Kent would have got a few heavy snow showers and not much of a streamer/trough which would give hours of continious snowfall I said I would be very surprised if they now got the forecasted 5-10cm, so for a joke I said I would eat my keyboard if they got that much :D

And a few people in Kent last night were reporting either a dusting which had melted or just a wet ground with no snow cover at all, at that point I was saying about how I said that the 5-10cm forecasted wouldn't happen and it looked as though it hadn't happened, but if you got 4-5cm then fair enough, I'm not calling you a liar :)

The only reason I was saying about you not having 5-10cm was because I had said I would eat my keyboard if anywhere in Kent had got that sort of snow cover and I was jokingly trying to say that you hadn't got 5cm because I didn't want to have to eat my keyboard ;)

I'm sorry if I came across as a bit arrogant about it, I am far from an arrogant person and I actually hate arrogance, it's just I felt confident after following every radar run and getting reports of the snow struggling to settle in Kent last night that I was willing to put my neck on the line and make such a big comment as to say I would eat my keyboard :lol:

Sorry again if I offended you Tamara :)

Posted

Has been quite a good snow event for us, - first fall on Sunday evening left us with about 8cm. In spite of all the sunshine we've had much of this remained and was added to by further snow showers yesterday.

Today has again be very suuny but much of the snow is hanging on. The picture below is of Bradfield Moor taken from a little way down the lane we live on at about noon today.

post-6175-1169742175_thumb.jpg

I wonder what reponse we migh get from the commuters in the London area to the 'how was it for you' question ? ;)

[T.M. - my deepest sympathy :D ]

Posted

To be honest, the answer to the question "How was it for you?" is determined by the original level of expectation. For me in Rotherham, expectation was extremely low, which was a good thing because in terms of snow this was a complete none event. The band that came down across the country on Tuesday night (our only shot at snow really) provided snow for Sheffield and Doncaster but only sleet for us. This was consequently disappointing.

However, it has been lovely to experience some winter sun and colder temperatures, rather than the rubbish the Atlantic has been throwing at us for the last couple of months.

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

Not bad at all here. Never thought the day would come when I'd get excited over a few centimetres of snow but these days you have to grab what you can! Today has been icy and the remaining snow has made paths and roads treacherous. Sun has been out all day here but hasn't melted the snow. All in all, I much prefer weather like this, cold and frosty, to the zonal stuff we've been having. So yes, it's been okay.

Posted
Has been quite a good snow event for us, - first fall on Sunday evening left us with about 8cm. In spite of all the sunshine we've had much of this remained and was added to by further snow showers yesterday.

Today has again be very suuny but much of the snow is hanging on. The picture below is of Bradfield Moor taken from a little way down the lane we live on at about noon today.

post-6175-1169742175_thumb.jpg

I wonder what reponse we migh get from the commuters in the London area to the 'how was it for you' question ? ;)

[T.M. - my deepest sympathy :D ]

It is interesting where the snow has clung on and also the temperature variation. I am looking at snow coverered fields right now and the temperature is about 0 if not less and there has been little thawing, however, once you head down into the cheshire plain the temperatures have been that much higher and melted the ice and snow away from shady spots.

Posted
Well in Leicester I reported around 5cm fell but 30 miles south east of me, mackerel sky reported around 7cm :D

My bloke lives in central Leicester (flats virtually next to the new arts centre place that's being built). The photos from the worst settled snow in the middle of the night show 2cm, maybe 3 at an absolute push.

Here in Telford we just had the snow on Sunday night/early hours of Monday, which is still more than I expected as most of the weather was coming from the wrong direction for good snowfall for here (in my experience so far).

Posted

Well I've just taken I nice wintry walk for 50 mins - very crisp and frosty. I went to the top of Harrogate - about 20m higher up - and some of the dusting we had was still there! And with a view right across to the North York Moors I could see there was a fair bit of snow on the tops.

Posted

Although it could have been colder, I got a dusting of snow monday night and some tuesday night, but had melted by wednesday morning, for ground nearly at sea level and near the coast this was really at the top end of what I was expecting from this cold snap.

Hopefully Feb or march can deliver something a bit colder and snowier.

Posted
My experience of the cold spell has been quite different to most other's. We had our first proper lying snow a week ago on Tuesday. Then a week ago today we had our first dump of snow of the winter, 4 to 5 inches. Since then, nothing, a couple of frosts, some sun and some cloud.

Never one to resist an opportunity to share some snow pics, from last Thurs 18th (yet again :D ):

Now that's more like a decent snowfall - a proper blanket covering the whole grass, well done ;)

Posted
My bloke lives in central Leicester (flats virtually next to the new arts centre place that's being built). The photos from the worst settled snow in the middle of the night show 2cm, maybe 3 at an absolute push.

Here in Telford we just had the snow on Sunday night/early hours of Monday, which is still more than I expected as most of the weather was coming from the wrong direction for good snowfall for here (in my experience so far).

Gracie, the town centre usually doesen't fare as well as the outskirts of Leicester when it snows. It's usually a degree warmer than where I live 3 miles away from he city centre, I live on a slight hill aswell and our road had around 5cm at 3am on wednesday morning, by 12pm though most of it had melted which was a shame :D

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

The cold spell certainly exceeded my expections, although the cold spell cant be classed a severe, its certainly been the best in terms of snowfall in the last 6 years for my location (people say we had a thundersnow event in 2004 but cant remember that, must of been asleep :D ) Even though the last couple of winters have produced fairly potent easterlies and northerlies they have'nt delivered as much snow as we had tuesday night-wednesday morning, i rank this cold spell better than any of these spells. Quite something considering the dire winter we have had so far.

Its great having snow fall constantly for 4-5 hours, we normally get showers here and there, really enjoyed it.

Posted

Has there been a cold spell? We had more snow action last week - as England was suffering damaging gales. At least it snowed three days running in the city. Not a peep since then. Cold zonality over disappointing northerlies any day :D

Posted

I live about 1miles away from leicester centre, and we had 2cms. :D , Looking at the radar from wednesday morning the further east there were heavy areas of precip altho they were localised.

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Since i was born i have never experienced such a bad winter! I hope there is more to come but there will probably 20c temps in march! I hope so now anyway!

Temp is picking up from tomorrow!

Posted
The cold spell certainly exceeded my expections, although the cold spell cant be classed a severe, its certainly been the best in terms of snowfall in the last 6 years for my location (people say we had a thundersnow event in 2004 but cant remember that, must of been asleep :D ) Even though the last couple of winters have produced fairly potent easterlies and northerlies they have'nt delivered as much snow as we had tuesday night-wednesday morning, i rank this cold spell better than any of these spells. Quite something considering the dire winter we have had so far.

Its great having snow fall constantly for 4-5 hours, we normally get showers here and there, really enjoyed it.

Fordy, I agree it was a good event for us, but in december 2000 we did get 3 inches that stuck around for around 3-4 days. I remember the thundersnow well, it was Jan 28th 2004 and that gave us about 2-3 inches aswell before it frosted over and caused havoc across the east midlands driving wise.

I have a mate who lives in Hinckley and he has pictures of that event aswell so you defanitly would have got it.

Posted

Well, in one word 'Disapointing'!

Monday- Cold and Dry nothing

Tuesday- Very light covering totaling around 3mm with 2 heavy snow showers and even more dissapointing with heavy wet snow later melting anything that was left soon turning toi rain!

Wednesday- Dry with a few late hail showers

Thursday- Was expecting a covering.... got nothing

Severly not worth having!!!!

SM06

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
Severly not worth having!!!!

SM06

Really? Well I would think this was better than having the same old mild muck again.