Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Cold spell - general discussion

Paul

Posted
Problem is...the showers are expected to be largely for the coastal areas; with few expected to come in-land further than say, 8-10 miles: -

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/ukmo2.php...&carte=1594

Would agree with that,we need a stronger onshore wind to push the showers further inland.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Looking forward to the week ahead :pardon:

btw is there a NW addicts area :)

I spend most of my time here in the background once I get in the house :)

Robert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Problem is...the showers are expected to be largely for the coastal areas; with few expected to come in-land further than say, 8-10 miles: -

http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/ukmo2.php...&carte=1594

Travel to the coast then PP :pardon:

Mammatus

Posted
Looking forward to the week ahead :pardon:

btw is there a NW addicts area :)

I spend most of my time here in the background once I get in the house :)

Robert

Ah just the bloke.

That prediction you made the other week, was it for the 7th or the 10th, I can't remember.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

OMG, would you look at that weather prediction on the BBC weather website for Milton Keynes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2679 :)

I have never seen it show 3 days of consecutive snowfall :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Has anyone noticed how much heat is in the sun despite the cold air?

Would this cause any snow to fall as rain?

OMG, would you look at that weather prediction on the BBC weather website for Milton Keynes.

-10ºC. that's cold......

Posted
Paul,

It all depends on which model is 'right'. I can see Durham missing out again if the GFS is right, but I can't see that happening if either UKMO or ECMWF come off, with snow cover likely in Durham by Wednesday in that case, though significant snow would most likely be reserved for later on, either via a frontal battleground, or via "easterly" snow showers to the north of it.

The thing is, when there is a system coming in (progged to probably miss us), which may dump significant snow, then really the possibility of a few showers being blown inland off the North Sea towards us doesn't really appeal.

I want what everybody else thinks they might get (x2, cos I live in the north, obviously)

Posted
Travel to the coast then PP :pardon:

Mammatus

Thats a good point about the coast,in a few hundred years time when the sea level rises sufficiently,the coastline could be outside PP's door :)

Posted

Its still pishh that BBC weather website... 7C and snow? I'd imagine that was the result of some bizarre comprimise, McElwee in one corner, Bett and Fox in the other, laughing like schoolgirls.

Posted
Its still pishh that BBC weather website... 7C and snow? I'd imagine that was the result of some bizarre comprimise, McElwee in one corner, Bett and Fox in the other, laughing like schoolgirls.

snow at 7C is highly possible!...and btw where does hammond sit? :pardon:

Posted

Would be awesome if it came off though, my god it'd be chaos. The whole of the midlands would grind to a halt. I didn't notice the -10'c forcast for saturday night either. lol :pardon:

That would be the coldest night since 1995/1996 or even back into the 80's for this location.

Posted
Would be awesome if it came off though, my god it'd be chaos. The whole of the midlands would grind to a halt. I didn't notice the -10'c forcast for saturday night either. lol :pardon:

That would be the coldest night since 1995/1996 or even back into the 80's for this location.

Its just a randomly generated number. Take absolutely no notice of anything past day 1 and 2 on the BBC 5 dayer.

Posted

I had -10C (and a tad lower) back in late December 2005. The snow cover, clear skies, distance from coast, rural setting slightly helped, just a tad.

Posted
snow at 7C is highly possible!

I've only ever seen it in April, with low dewpoints and cold upper air temperatures. Never earlier than late March at least.

But to be put rather blunt, the chances if the temperature is 7C on thursday in MK and it is still snowing is as likely as me turning out to be the lovechild of Bill Giles.

If it does get up to 7C in MK on thursday, I fancy my chances of a winning a tenner at least on the lottery this weekend.

Posted

I'm just hoping to get some decent depth of snow to I have a problem about in. haven't seen it for so long now.

Get the little nephew up on the top of the downs at dunstable making snow angels.

Probably scare myself whitless flying down that huge hill @ 50mph on the old sledge too, nearly crashed through the fence and off the 60 foot cliff the last time i went sledging up there. lmao :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Each season has its own merits but, since you press me, heavy snow

Good grief, even snowless ol' Cambridge is progged -6c, with the "prospect" of a bit of the white stuff! Any experts on who might be able to confirm whether it's worth getting the camera out on Saturday am. Signed Overdue of The Backs.

Posted
I had -10C (and a tad lower) back in late December 2005. The snow cover, clear skies, distance from coast, rural setting slightly helped, just a tad.

Are you sure? :pardon:

I only got down to -6.7!

Posted
Good grief, even snowless ol' Cambridge is progged -6c, with the "prospect" of a bit of the white stuff! Any experts on who might be able to confirm whether it's worth getting the camera out on Saturday am. Signed Overdue of The Backs.

Just had a look for a bit of laugh. I've got a daytime maximum of 0C on saturday with an overnight low of -9C, and heavy snow.

God love em. They should hire someone to give it the once over. Might check Ceefax page 406 or whatever the 5 day page is to see whether it says the same.

Posted
Ah just the bloke.

That prediction you made the other week, was it for the 7th or the 10th, I can't remember.

Hi Paul,

It was for the 10th :pardon:

Robert

Archived