Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold spell - general discussion

Paul

Posted

Lol our irish met just had their daily long range f/cast on the radio and it was clear they didn't have a clue what was going to happen past tomorrow, in fact they cut short their f/cast and didn't mention anything further than tuesday at all!

Posted

Hi just a quick question for you very knowledgeable weather folks, im driving up from south wales to central london on thursday evening for a funeral on friday morning what are the chances of of the weather affecting this

Thanks warwick

Posted

Just posted this over on the model thread, but will do so here as it's for a good cause!

Just a quick plug for nw extra folks.

It really is going to be a period for radar watching - so what better time to take out a subscription and get yourself access to hi-res, 5 minute radar! For those of you who aren't happy paying for items on the internet, we can now take phone orders also.

All you need to do is register as a user here:

https://www.netweather.tv/secure/cgi-bin/lo...=register;code=

And then at the online payment page, just call the number on the screen and we'll have you up and running straight away :whistling:

Plug over!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather
Advice: Dont spend your life analysing weather charts, its a waaste of time. Whatever happens will happen whether you know or not, and chances are the charts are wrong and you get excited about nothing. And besides, snow is a lot better when it is a suprise, rather thn you thinking it is going to snow days before hand. Also it is a lot worse thinking something is going to happen, and looking forward to it, and it not happening.

IT AINT GONNA SNOW

Please stop with these silly comments. They come across as very childish. I dont mean to come across as a grumpy old sod but it is spoiling my reading of 'some' interesting comments'. Reading the charts has always been an 'up and down' experience and there is no point in complaining about a chart because you dislike it. The reason you are complaining yourself is because you've been following the charts and they currently are not showing what you or most of us actualy want. Damn i hate moaning so sorry about that.... carry on!

Guest Viking141
V141, quickly drew this up using the satrep and eumetsat loop. It's something like this.

Lovely jubly! As I said looks set to pass right over me so I'll keep you posted.

:whistling:

Posted

Already some cold with quite a few places already close to our at below 0C. By far the coldest place right now is the Cairngorm Mtns which is already down to -7.3C, they are certainly looking at some very cold temps tonight, probably down to -12C i'd guess given the time we are at today,and possibly the coldest night of the winter so far though I dare say tommorow night will take that.

Tommorow night looks utterly bitter IMO given the set-up we have, its a classic set-up for cold mins, if there was also snow cover, we'd be looking at widespread below -10C, but as ther eisn;t snowcover probably widespread -6/8C inland, frost hollows may get lower.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
The forecaster on Radio 4's PM just said that there was some 'uncertainty' in the models, but that he was giving a 'heads up' for a substantial threat of snow for Southern Britain. Wait for listen again to become available and fast-forward to the last 5 minutes to hear it.

Hi Goatherd

Some uncertainty is a gross understatement.

Let us be warned that there are any numbers of scenarios that could occur over the next week (or possibly 2 weeks). We are caught in a very unusual set up and I am not going to post GFS, MO or any other SL charts, ensembles, 850 hts, dew points, details of 128 dams or anything else to demonstrate that those who have studied such situations in the past have more than a gut feeling that almost anything can happen (except for a heat wave that is!). One factor is that although we have patterns/records etc that indicate what has happened in the past when we have been in a similar situation, global warming means they are not reliable in forecasting what is going to happen for these shores anymore. They are a clue ….. but as we have learnt these last few winters ….. they are very unreliable.

There could be great snow events, there could be almost nothing of the white stuff we all enjoy in winter. In a weeks time we could experience relatively mild SW to West winds, fairly cold Northerlies or bitter easterlies. The air could end up a tad too dry, despite the temperatures - or much too damp ..... depending on where it's coming from.

The charts are struggling, the weather forecasters are getting braver and as each GFS produces its pretty pictures we all go wow, or blast or say something similar!

Read the posts on here and enjoy (as I do) but all the top weather kiddies and kiddesses will, if they are honest, admit that the outlook for tomorrow evening, let alone a weeks time is a nightmare to forecast this time around.

Hope nobody says ‘is it going to snow in ?’ !

dl

Posted

Looks like a bit of snow for the East/North Yorkshire coasts at the moment according to the 5 minute radar..

post-1669-1170702240_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever we get.

I cannot find any Severe Weather Warnings, even advance, on the UKMO site. Anyone know different ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

For snow they only put warnings out 48hrs prior dont they?

Already down below freezing here now, -0.6C atm

Edited by CatchMyDrift
It's "put" not "but" :lol:

Posted

I am looking forward to the coming chart tonight :D

I think I made a good choice in having extra supplies of cookies and hot chocolate delivered last Friday ! :blink: ;);)

Fantastic times ahead :)

Robert

Posted

So much focus seems to be on Thursday, let's not forget tomorrow eve/night for areas in the South. For me the M4 Southwards could see some snow.

Interestingly, the main BBC forecast gave a better chance for snow than the local BBC forecast. Richard Angwin, on Points West, has a history of being wrong when it comes to snow. For tomorrow night he thinks only West Somerset of our region will see any snow because the front will slip down into the English Channel.

We'll see, at last a snow chance!!

Posted
Lol our irish met just had their daily long range f/cast on the radio and it was clear they didn't have a clue what was going to happen past tomorrow, in fact they cut short their f/cast and didn't mention anything further than tuesday at all!

They have a habit of not saying a thing when it comes to sernarios like this, at least they could do, is let us in on the bigger picture of whats going on.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well another good sharp frost should help get those ground temps down. So if the Snow turns up it might have the rare privilege to be falling on frozen ground.

Posted
Well another good sharp frost should help get those ground temps down. So if the Snow turns up it might have the rare privilege to be falling on frozen ground.

Indeed. its freezing away here, just had a shower of light rain and it frozze solid. The roads around here are in a bad way. Its rare to have the frosty red carpet rolled out for our friend the snow flake...

Posted

the met have got our temps on the south coast during the day on friday at 10 degrees C!!!! Shurely shome mistake.....I know we probably won't get snow, but 10 degrees? thats mad..... :D

Posted
the met have got our temps on the south coast during the day on friday at 10 degrees C!!!! Shurely shome mistake.....I know we probably won't get snow, but 10 degrees? thats mad..... :D

Been trolling through a load of weather services and no one is coming out yet to say its on. Just if,s and potentials.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Above are the 850 temps and the Max temps ,looks like the South coast could be in low double figures friday dinner time

nigel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well its dropping very fast here -2.1C at 8:05pm :D

Posted

Mondy

and another one

nigel