Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold spell - general discussion

Paul

Posted
ChrisL

It was supposed to be clear today, but so far this morning it has only got cloudier, darker and may I say a tad colder since I put the horses out at 6.00 am.m. Over here we have had 2 quick showers of rain and 1 of sleet but they only lasted long enough to put the windscreen wipers on LoL. Karen

its the main cold trough going through

Posted

Thanks John. I was actually wondering what it was. I think most forecasts were for the front to produce zero ppn, although with our one and only shower, all i can say was that it definately wasnt snow (looked like rain, perhaps sleety, but not sure if it was my eyes playing up).

Posted

same with Karen in Nottingham as well. All I got here was cloud, its now blue sky

Posted
Driving snow in Aberdeen atm:

having a few heavier showers here too in last half hour

Posted
"could go as far south as north France, could go as far north as Manchester" :rofl:

Oh dear...

Classic forecast but at least if the uncertainty is as bad as he suggested it puts the models current wobbles into perspective

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
Its cold and sunny here, but some cloud out toward the nothh

sea so maybe a wintry shower on the way

Afternoon Donvanallen

Yep agree with you there , i was over near Shiremoor earlier today , and you could see the build up of Cbs looking over towards the coast , i was about 6 mile away from Whitley Bay at the time ,

Clouds now starting to roll in over here in North Kenton

nigel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

can anyone tell me how to find out how much above sea level my town is

Hmm is it really going to be just all rain? I just watched the BBC forecast then and they said some snow tomorrow night followed by more during the week.. and this is Bristol there talking about :rofl:

To be fair to Richard Angwin he admitted the snow chance in Bristol tomorrow could go either way and made a point of saying he doesn't really know at this stage.

Beggars believe why we model watch when certain situations are still uncertain even at + 24 hours

Edited by BristolBaggie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
Afternoon Donvanallen

Yep agree with you there , i was over near Shiremoor earlier today , and you could see the build up of Cbs looking over towards the coast , i was about 6 mile away from Whitley Bay at the time ,

Clouds now starting to roll in over here in North Kenton

nigel

Theres no showers anywhere near us yet on the radar.

The Look North forecast at 13:35 showed snow showers pushing south over us around 6pm.

Posted

afternoon MCT

Yep ive looked on the radar and like you say , there is nothing showing as of yet , but it has gone very overcast over this way , and the clouds seem to be drifting in from the NorthEast of me

nigel

Posted

I'm in need of a bit of advice, so if anyone can help (especially TIETS)I'd appreciate it. I'm driving from Leeds to Suffolk tomorrow and I'm thinking of returning on Thursday evening. What do people think of my chances of having difficulties on my return trip? I'd like to know if I should plan to put in blannkets, emergency food supplies, shovel, wellies, etc etc etc :rofl:

Posted
I'm in need of a bit of advice, so if anyone can help (especially TIETS)I'd appreciate it. I'm driving from Leeds to Suffolk tomorrow and I'm thinking of returning on Thursday evening. What do people think of my chances of having difficulties on my return trip? I'd like to know if I should plan to put in blannkets, emergency food supplies, shovel, wellies, etc etc etc :rofl:

You should always be prepared with a flask of hot tea, mars bars, thick coat and shovel in the boot in the winter if you are expecting to using high routes or back roads in particular.

however don't see much likleyhood for a leeds to suffolk round trip returning Thurs eve. Looks as there may be a couple of hours of wet snow (at best) followed by quite a bit or rain, i doubt you'll encounter any difficulties. You may not even see any snow.

Posted
can anyone tell me how to find out how much above sea level my town is

Yes.

Get a drill, and drill down through the pavement. Keep on going until you hit water. Mark the drill bit with a bit of tape, pull the drill out, and measure from the tip of the drill bit to the tape. Worked for me.

If you can't afford a 350ft drill bit, instead visit a site called Earth Tools org.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

thanks ive just found out that im a massive 50meteres (144ft) above sea level looks like probably rain for us in waltham abbey

Posted

Had some rather large Cumulus Mediocris clouds roll over over the pasdt few hours.

Daz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well if things come to the worst and it is mostly rain for many this week Im at least happy that we have some sharp frosts on the cards for the next couple of nights.