Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold spell - general discussion

Paul

Posted
Lets face it we all know the ECM is wrong by a country mile-

look for the GFS & UKMO raw to varify- Although I still think a SW jog in the PPN may be in evident come tomorrow....

S

Just watched the BBC1 weather and its not giving away much just said there maybe snow later in the week

Peter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.
Yes saw that!!

Some very low temps are possible alright but i'd be hedging for more like -6c

i think that would be more realistic matt.

i must admit, this is the third consecutive night that temps in ireland have plummeted below zero before 8:pm,

i havent seen that in a long time, very xmas cards scenes here this morning, good to see!!

regards

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Freezing here :cc_confused:

Ice forming already, with frost the past few mornings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

freezing here too in ireland,

ice been forming since sunset,

gonna be another crisp frosty morning to come.;

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

evening everyone

Below is a rough guide of the kind of temps the north east could be seeing on thursday and friday

Found these on the CROSS SECTION part of NW Xtra

Thursday

...................1000hpa....850hpa.....700hpa.......500hpa......300hpa

18z...............3c.................-8c.............-18c.............-32c.............-50c

21z...snow.2.5c...............-9c.............-18.5c.........-32c.............-51c

friday

00z...snow.1.5c...............-9.5c.........-19.5c..........-31.5c.........-51c

03z...snow.1.5c...............-10c..........-19.5c.........-31c.............-51.5c

06z...snow 1.5c...............-9.5c.........-18.5c.........-30.5c.........-51.5c

09z..snow 1.5c................-10c..........-18.5c.........-30.5c..........-51c

12z..snow..1.5c...............-9.5c..........-17.5c........-29.5c..........-52c

15z..snow..1.5c...............-10c...........-17.5c........-28c..............-52.5c

18z..snow..1.5c...............-9.5c..........-17c............-27.5c...........-52c

nigel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
Fog has prevented temps today getting past 4.2 and now hovering a couple of tenths above freezing, much colder than expected today here because of the lingering fog.

Yes, bloody freezing today!

Started off misty, then got really foggy and stayed cold all day.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

We may get an Air frost tonight after another spring like day. Definatley on the warm side after a cold start.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms
Fog has prevented temps today getting past 4.2 and now hovering a couple of tenths above freezing, much colder than expected today here because of the lingering fog.

Amazing - I'm only a few miles away on the coast and the sun has shone fron 8 this am to 5 this evening without a break.

Posted

I have posted my prediction for weather events in my blog. I shall be posting them there from now on when and if I get any information :)

Robert

Posted

Agree with the pit it`s been another mild day here sunny at 8.7c it is plumeting now but it`s still 1.9c and when cloudcover comes later I don`t think I`ll see an air frost tonight might do.

Lets get this cold front through to bring some cleaner/fresher/colder air.

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/brack0.gif

http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/Rmgfs302.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Its -1.5C already here which is ashame as its supposed to cloud over later on, otherwise I think we could of got down to -6C by morning.

Posted
Amazing - I'm only a few miles away on the coast and the sun has shone fron 8 this am to 5 this evening without a break.

Wow, that is amazing, its been a very cold and grey day here, sun for perhaps an hour weakly at around midday, frost did not clear until 11.30. Further East was even more foggy I am told.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Spent last night in Manchester. Was an odd journey in - was clear & sunny right from Nottingham until Stockport. As you descended out of the Peak District the entire area was covered in thick fog. By late evening it was very dense indeed in the city. Cleared by morning leaving milky skies all day and feeling warm in the sunshine. Its reached that time of year when even on cold days, it does feel warm in the Sun. Recorded my lowest temp of year so far last night -1.7c.

Posted

Just wet and windy here so far today ..... Viking, send some of that cold white stuff this way please :wallbash:

Posted
Poor old Northerners. :rolleyes: There was never any chance of snow for Northern areas, this has been showing as a southern event for many days.

it could be a southern rain event though and if it was it wouldn't really be an event at all. I'm praying that it' not. I obviously love the snow by my name but am not likeing the gfs charts on this matter at all. Hope for a better 6z.

Posted
I don't Understand.....People from the South seem very Indenial to me atm. Comments like, "This will be a Southern Event".......Right.............I say no more, as I am quite tired. Maybe Later.

I dont understand what you mean? Well if I am indenial then Most of the BBC radio forecasters and louise Lear on BBC breakfast must be aswel. They are the ones that said Snow for S Britain.

Posted

Interesting that TM is reporting a few flakes in the peaks -

A few flakes of snow drifting down from a sheet of altocumulus and cumulus.

T.M

It should (I think according to the forecasts) be clear here by now. However, cloud is actually increasing, and its getting darker. I wonder if (albeit pretty much nothing) a few flakes may appear here too?

Posted

ChrisL

It was supposed to be clear today, but so far this morning it has only got cloudier, darker and may I say a tad colder since I put the horses out at 6.00 am.m. Over here we have had 2 quick showers of rain and 1 of sleet but they only lasted long enough to put the windscreen wipers on LoL. Karen

Posted

Clouded up a little overnight, this stopped a hard frost, but even in the few hours between 6-8am when the skies cleared, ice reformed on the windscreen. Chilly, but sunny at present.