Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

18z model discussion - all aboard the snowlercoaster!

Paul

Posted
The Richard v the rest of the world show is getting a bit tedious folks, can you just agree to disagree please - it's not a requirement that you have to pick up on every point Richard (WIB) makes, and vice versa...

This thread will be locked in 20 mins or so to make way for the 06z.

It tends to make this place more interesting though Paul, personally I learn a hell of a lot more from this type of banter then i would if it was just cold ramping or mild ramping. I think we get a lot out of it, but that's just my HO ;)

Posted
The Richard v the rest of the world show is getting a bit tedious folks, can you just agree to disagree please - it's not a requirement that you have to pick up on every point Richard (WIB) makes, and vice versa...

This thread will be locked in 20 mins or so to make way for the 06z.

Oops didnt see that

Posted

Paul,

I don't think it's a case of Richard vs ROTW. People are simply putting there points across, this forum has it's agreements & disagreements. Like Richard says, the FAX charts are basically useless and he does not use them, I disagree, it's just as simple as that.

I agree to the point about some people going overboard, just because they want snow in there area and they don't like what Richard says, but I think 99% of the people on this forum appriciate his input & respect his comments. I for one do, and really enjoy reading his posts. It's a good debate.

Richard has been right for most of this winter, whether it was just luck, or really good forecasting, I don't know. But it's good to have these debates, and it seems the cold lovers are going to get one over on the mild lovers, for perhaps the most significant event of this Winter.

Edited by Glenn W

Posted

I've not got a problem with the banter or discussion but this is the same argument that was had yesterday, the day before, the day before that and so on. Richard doesn't like fax charts, much of the rest of the forum (inc the majority of the forecast team) considers them to be the best for short range detail. It's all been said time and time again, so perhaps time to move on and discuss something else!

Posted
I've not got a problem with the banter or discussion but this is the same argument that was had yesterday, the day before, the day before that and so on. Richard doesn't like fax charts, much of the rest of the forum (inc the majority of the forecast team) considers them to be the best for short range detail. It's all been said time and time again, so perhaps time to move on and discuss something else!

Fair enough Paul and yes you are right it is always the same debates.

Besides I just wish to enjoy today because it isn't often we are in these situations so my advice to anyone is enjoy whatever comes your way and not only follow the models but start tracking the Sat/radar later on tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
. I also think I may be safe with my no lying snow in England south of the Pennines. (The official defintion of lying snow being I believe 1cm covering more than 50% as at 09h00 in the morning. Think that's right someone?)

The official definition of a morning with snow lying is ' snow covering at least half the ground in an open area representative of the station' There is no minimum depth requirement but the ground must look more white than green/brown if the cover is thin.

An open area is defined as fields, grass, cultivated ground etc but does not include roofs, roads or banks under trees as these are subject to variables which will speed up or prevent snow melt compared to an open area.

Somewhat off topic but I thought I'd answer before the thread closes.

T.M

Posted
Just had a quick look at the models. Good old Gloucester! Snow then rain and it's all over, temps to 8deg by midday Thursday 8-(

In the last 15 years, I have seen lying snow (not including showers of just a few flakes!) only twice, and only one of those was over an inch... How does that compare with Carlisle and Abingdon ???!!!

Have fun where you get the white stuff!

Cheers, 7&Y

\

BBC Weather going for max 1c and heavy snow for your area !!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

the 0z doe seem intent on turning most of the snow to rain at tea time tomorrow for areas south of Blackpool, very progressive but it's sticking by it's guns to be honest so I think the GFS may be the leader in the race to find the eventual scenario.