Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3rd March - Total Lunar Eclipse (Merged... again)

Sonia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

really beautiful sight, had to bring the camera indoors now condensation is covering the lens

post-6055-1172965139_thumb.jpg

Posted

OK, now it's letting me upload again.

A couple from about 20 minutes ago, full frame and cropped. Plus one just now...

post-2999-1172965232_thumb.jpg post-2999-1172965244_thumb.jpg post-2999-1172965251_thumb.jpg

Posted

A couple from about 20 minutes ago, full frame and cropped. Plus one just now...

post-2999-1172965232_thumb.jpg post-2999-1172965244_thumb.jpg post-2999-1172965251_thumb.jpg

If this turns out to be one of these willy-waving contests then you've won, Blackie!

They are brilliant snapsapplause.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Totality over - just watched the first sliver of bright white reappear. Growing bigger by the second.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Excellent Blackie, very nice colour and clarity....... i cant wait to get a propper lens :D

Regards,

Russ

Posted
Did the moon get that red Blackie?!!! I need my eyes testing!

Nice one Oon... and all who've posted photos. Superb!

Laura,

Yes it really was that red, unbelievable clear skies here on the east coast tonight, my only problem being into Storms is the lack of longer lense, none of mine came out

Paul S

Posted

Not had time to look through all my pics yet but the cloud cleared and it's been abeautifull night :D

Blackie: that's really excellent, much better than mine. Did you use tracking? Mine are smudged and have star trails.

post-3607-1172967118_thumb.jpg

Edited by frogesque

Posted
Here are a few of my efforts.

409251522_c6a3a1967d.jpg

409251518_626e0ea0f1.jpg

409251513_76916d6554.jpg

I like those, especially the last one. I tried for something like that, but had to give up.

I should have stayed in instead and watched everyone else's. :):)

Russ

That's a well haunting pic...
Yes i think so too, its the only reason i posted such a blurred picture. Purely down to operator error :D

Regards..

Posted

Mine were total pants.. I tried before to do moon shots but to make them of any use i need to have the digital zoom on.. FUZZZZZZZZZZZZ.. :D

Posted

well you have all taken good pics, and the thing is you at least tried to take them regardless of the outcome. thats what makes them good. :D

Posted
Blackie: that's really excellent, much better than mine. Did you use tracking? Mine are smudged and have star trails.

Nope, only tracking was by hand, using very poor eyesight! I used my Canon EOS 20D with the 100-400L IS lens I was so rude about on another thread last night! White elephant, I think I called it! :lol: At first I also stuck a 1:4 converter on as well, but it wouldn't autofocus with that and it was too dark to manually focus properly or with any accuracy. So I took it off. And the pics came out pretty sharp. I used a remote cable as well to stop getting any camera shake. And I have a solid carbon fibre tripod, which I kept the top part lowered. Again to cut vibrations, although it meant I had to stoop or kneel on the ground to look through the biewfinder. I kept having to shift it virtually between every shot to track the moon and keep it centred. And I guess I was taking a shot every 30 seconds.

Just think what a nice 600m L lens would have produced. :sigh: Only about £5,000. Mine cost over £1,000, and that was bad enough.

Anyway, here's a few more towards the end of totality...

post-2999-1172968445_thumb.jpg

post-2999-1172968476_thumb.jpg

post-2999-1172968500_thumb.jpg

post-2999-1172968520_thumb.jpg

post-2999-1172968535_thumb.jpg

post-2999-1172968561_thumb.jpg

post-2999-1172968579_thumb.jpg

I stopped after the last one, as it was getting too hard to get the light area and still see anything of the shaded part.

PS - I think it was Laura, sorry Wibs, who asked if the moon really was that red. As Paul Sherman siad, yes indeed it was. The colours are exactly as I saw them. I have used the smaller JPEG versions of the RAW images rather than convert the RAW ones, and then to make sure I could get them to a small enough size to post I just emailed them and chose the 1024 size. Quicker than sodding around resizing! But because I kept shifting the camera the exposures have not all come out the same. That is where converting the RAW images would produce more consistent results.

PPS - I don't think my man flu/chest infection appreciated bein outside for nearly an hour. Starting to sweat and shiver alternately. :(

PPPS - I started off setting camera at 100 ISO when the moon was very bright, then during totality I gradually wound it up to 1600. As it started coming back out of totality I reduced it back to 800 and finished with 400 I think. Also, I turned the Image Stabiliser (IS) off. It doesn't do anything when the lens is mounted on a tripod. Just need to remember to switch it back on next time I hand-hold it.

Edited by Blackie

Posted
Nope, only tracking was by hand, using very poor eyesight! I used my Canon EOS 20D with the 100-400L IS lens I was so rude about on another thread last night! White elephant, I think I called it! :lol: At first I also stuck a 1:4 converter on as well, but it wouldn't autofocus with that and it was too dark to manually focus properly or with any accuracy. So I took it off. And the pics came out pretty sharp. I used a remote cable as well to stop getting any camera shake. And I have a solid carbon fibre tripod, which I kept the top part lowered. Again to cut vibrations, although it meant I had to stoop or kneel on the ground to look through the biewfinder. I kept having to shift it virtually between every shot to track the moon and keep it centred. And I guess I was taking a shot every 30 seconds.

Just think what a nice 600m L lens would have produced. :sigh: Only about £5,000. Mine cost over £1,000, and that was bad enough.

Anyway, here's a few more towards the end of totality...

post-2999-1172968445_thumb.jpg

post-2999-1172968476_thumb.jpg

post-2999-1172968500_thumb.jpg

post-2999-1172968520_thumb.jpg

post-2999-1172968535_thumb.jpg

post-2999-1172968561_thumb.jpg

post-2999-1172968579_thumb.jpg

I stopped after the last one, as it was getting too hard to get the light area and still see anything of the shaded part.

PS - I think it was Laura, sorry Wibs, who asked if the moon really was that red. As Paul Sherman siad, yes indeed it was. The colours are exactly as I saw them. I have used the smaller JPEG versions of the RAW images rather than convert the RAW ones, and then to make sure I could get them to a small enough size to post I just emailed them and chose the 1024 size. Quicker than sodding around resizing! But because I kept shifting the camera the exposures have not all come out the same. That is where converting the RAW images would produce more consistent results.

PPS - I don't think my man flu/chest infection appreciated bein outside for nearly an hour. Starting to sweat and shiver alternately. :(

PPPS - I started off setting camera at 100 ISO when the moon was very bright, then during totality I gradually wound it up to 1600. As it started coming back out of totality I reduced it back to 800 and finished with 400 I think. Also, I turned the Image Stabiliser (IS) off. It doesn't do anything when the lens is mounted on a tripod. Just need to remember to switch it back on next time I hand-hold it.

Interesting account Blackie.

I like the thought of an 100-400 IS L even more now. :(

I don't mind spending a little money on hobbies, its my self imposed alcoholism therapy, i no longer drink. Instead i spend my money(nowhere near as much as i used to on drink b/w) on something recreationally useful instead IE photography :( I have been off drink for 2 years 6 months, so i am happy..........

Russ

Posted
Interesting account Blackie.

I like the thought of an 100-400 IS L even more now. :(

I don't mind spending a little money on hobbies, its my self imposed alcoholism therapy, i no longer drink. Instead i spend my money(nowhere near as much as i used to on drink b/w) on something recreationally useful instead IE photography :( I have been off drink for 2 years 6 months, so i am happy..........

Russ

I'll drink to that, Russ! :( :lol: Except, I'd have to have yours as well ;)

Posted
I'll drink to that, Russ! :( :lol: Except, I'd have to have yours as well ;)

I don't think you would approve.....mines a hot chocolate :(

Here is an infra red version, just for fun :(

post-4726-1172970785_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rustynailer