Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

May CET

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Given that my alternate method backs an outturn of 13.8C, i will back my 10.8C prediction.

Posted

13.3C for me :whistling:

Posted

The last 10 years have averaged 12.1 and I have been using the ten year as a base this year - adding or subtracting based on hoe things look - I have been well below most months doing this. As such and given the way GFS looks as of now I will go for 10 year mean plus 1 degree - 13.1 meaning the Spring record will be disintegrated.

If thats not enough I am at a loss - thats the globally warmed recent average of 10 years with a full degree added for good measure on the back of a run of very warm months.... surely enough???????

Posted

To break the spring record, we need a May CET of around 13.5C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

mmmmm I'll go for 12.3C hopefully with lots of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

I say... 13.6 A warm start with high pressure in control, maximas in the mid 20s some days, but cloud sometimes keeping night time temperatures up. A change to more unsettled weather around the end of the second week with low pressure trying to nudge in. Another week of warm weather after this as southerlies push in, maybe aproachin the 30C mark, maybe cooler and more unsettled by the last few days of May. Dry for the east and central areas of england, but perhaps the north of England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland seeing the most of any rain, but still below average in most of these areas.

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted

I don't normally dabble in this type of mystic Meg idea but, what the heck, so 13.1C

Posted

Some very warm predictions on here (hardly surprising though given what we've seen)! :angry:

I'm going to go for 11.8c (+0.5 above the 71-2000 average).

I'm actually expecting a fairly wet month - which would go against most of the longer range models at the moment (except possibly ECM) - based on the developing cold SSTA off the US east coast, coupled with those to our North helping to push the jet somewhat further South than we've seen. I can actually see it running through the middle of the UK as the month progresses so we might see a trail of rather slow moving Atlantic depressions.

We could also see a few thundery downpours given the warmth that's around.

Posted
Some very warm predictions on here (hardly surprising though given what we've seen)! :)

I'm going to go for 11.8c (+0.5 above the 71-2000 average).

I'm actually expecting a fairly wet month - which would go against most of the longer range models at the moment (except possibly ECM) - based on the developing cold SSTA off the US east coast, coupled with those to our North helping to push the jet somewhat further South than we've seen. I can actually see it running through the middle of the UK as the month progresses so we might see a trail of rather slow moving Atlantic depressions.

We could also see a few thundery downpours given the warmth that's around.

Very intresting post Beng, I think I'll peg my May CET down a touch, maybe down to 12.2C. Its intresting to see the models are starting to indicate the chances of a negative AO forming, long way to go but there are hints tohugh whether its just seeing things that aren't there, who knows!

Still if we do get a -ve AO then it'll relaly shunt the high pressure. Should be worrth noting its exactly what happened in August 06 and how that was broken in, we may see a similar type of pattern in May IF it breaksdown now, this pattern could have in theory a good month to run in the summer BUT the jet is a little more mobile then it would be in the heart of summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

11c. Surely we are due a below ave month sooner or later...Or are we? :)

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

i will go for 12.7

Posted

Some interesting reading in here and some wild punting - Joe Coral and William Hill would love you lot to frequent their shops.

It's interesting that a pattern change is now being progged as coming into the reliable time frame.

I like KW's idea of an easterly month as it is not difficult to envisage low pressure to our south, high pressure to the north west. Never going to be that cold at this time of year though but could give the south a fair bit of needed rain.

Off the back of such a high April CET, there is a better chance of a colder May than April for only the 7th time since records began and I was really tempted to go for that at one stage. However, I feel that in this day and age to rule out a warm to hot spell occuring in a whole month is a bit blinkered.

Therefore I go for 11.9C, although I would not be surprised to see the in running average for May be below the final April CET figure until late in the month.

The spring record may stay intact if may guess is near the mark.

Posted

12.7C seems to be the difference between the 10 yr moving average, and the 30 yr one (at a quick glance) so it seems to me to be entirely reasonable, and does hold some merit with reference to the quantification of known data. I think it's a little cool, though, West!

Edit: Just done the mathematics: the actual figure is 12.43C (30yrMA+10yrMA)/2, so perhaps it's a little on the mild side being pegged down a little by the 30yrMA. Certainly within the ballpark of a good statistical guess, though (I would say within 0.5C either way, depending on what mood you're in, and if you attribute some skill in this method - I don't necessarily, as there is a whole universe of problems with super-aggregate statistics . . .)

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted

Well every one of my punts has been way too low thus far so this month I will try 14.6c, that probably means plenty of snow and a true CET of 9c.

Posted
12.7C seems to be the difference between the 10 yr moving average, and the 30 yr one (at a quick glance) so it seems to me to be entirely reasonable, and does hold some merit with reference to the quantification of known data. I think it's a little cool, though, West!

Edit: Just done the mathematics: the actual figure is 12.43C (30yrMA+10yrMA)/2, so perhaps it's a little on the mild side being pegged down a little by the 30yrMA. Certainly within the ballpark of a good statistical guess, though (I would say within 0.5C either way, depending on what mood you're in, and if you attribute some skill in this method - I don't necessarily, as there is a whole universe of problems with super-aggregate statistics . . .)

The figure I get using that equation is 11.8.

Mays 1997-2006 ~ 12.2 average

Mays 1977-2006 ~ 11.5 average

Edited by Mr_Data