Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Glastonbury Festival 2007

Posted

Often the weather way especially when systems are slow moving/stopping like this: round and round it goes where and when it stops nobody knows

FWIW there have been many more good runs than bad and the horror runs have gone away, thank the lord for GFSimmodium. weather looks bearable too, the rainfall totals are always overegged in the far future and if we believed them we'd always be in for regular heavy soakings. doesn't happen. it's all down to how quickly and at what angle this low goes over us so just gotta hope

Posted

Looks like the weather's going to be absolutely stinking for next week if the latest GFS is to be believed. (which at this range probably should'nt!) Seems some backing from the ECM now too, throwing in a north easterly flow for good measure. :) My only hope is things get pushed eastwards just like they always do in winter! :)

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Paddydog : Like you, and many others, I've been waiting for two bloody years for this festival to come round again. From the end of Friday, I start by far my longest annual holiday, and I really couldn't bear yet another rainy, horrible, never-sunny mudbath of 1997 or 1998 proportions :):(

At least the rain in 2005, Biblical though it was, was over in 5 or 6 hours, and conditions were hot enough for the aftermath to dry up quite quickly. Most up to date prospects (this morning) indicate FAR worse than that, even if the rainfall totals are less.

<depressed> :)

Only way to cope will be this ... :)

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted
Looks like the weather's going to be absolutely stinking for next week if the latest GFS is to be believed.

Au contraire ... this is on a knife-edge between some pretty stormy convection and some very hot settled weather. Although I'm often more optmistic about Glasto weather than normal, I think you may be in for a belter weather-wise. But it's still too early to say.

I was there last time, in that field underneath the most almight thunderstorm imaginable. Was amazing. Sadly I failed to bring wellies. Mistake. Big mistake!

in 2005, Biblical though it was, was over in 5 or 6 hours, and conditions were hot enough for the aftermath to dry up quite quickly.

Erm ... it began to dry on Sunday. Friday and Saturday were mud mud mud in absolute abundance!

Paddydog : Like you, and many others, I've been waiting for two bloody years for this festival to come round again. From the end of Friday, I start by far my longest annual holiday, and I really couldn't bear yet another rainy, horrible, never-sunny mudbath of 1997 or 1998 proportions :):)

Only way to cope will be this ... :(

On the contrary, some rain will be most welcome.

Posted
Au contraire ... this is on a knife-edge between some pretty stormy convection and some very hot settled weather. Although I'm often more optmistic about Glasto weather than normal, I think you may be in for a belter weather-wise. But it's still too early to say.

I was there last time, in that field underneath the most almight thunderstorm imaginable. Was amazing. Sadly I failed to bring wellies. Mistake. Big mistake!

Erm ... it began to dry on Sunday. Friday and Saturday were mud mud mud in absolute abundance!

I agree with WiB - nowhere to sit down Friday and Saturday, even if rain wasn't falling. I remember getting totally stuck in the deep sticky mud inside the urinals near the Pyramid and having to get pulled clear by some other helpful souls. Was funny once I'd got out but the propect of falling over was too horrible to contemplate...

Having said that, I'm sure WiB's forecast for 2005 was overly optimistic. If the storm had missed he'd have been bang on. However... (Is is possible to resurrect the 2005 thread from the archives to see if I'm right?)

On the contrary, some rain will be most welcome.

Haven't I noticed your contributions somewhere else?

Posted

Yeah, but i did throw in the usual disclaimer about GFS. :) I've been trying to get what positives i can from the somewhat eratic output during the past week or so. There has been some good runs scattered in there with some decent ridges being thrown over the SW and i would agree that things are finely poised. My feelings are it's all about what happens over the next few days with the advancing slow moving LP's.

Edited by MattS

Posted

Cheers, West. You have no idea (or quite a lot of idea) how much I yearn for you to be right .... all today's updated info has been dreadful ...

:)

Oh yes, I know it didn't dry up til Sunday last tme, but by Sunday lunchtime, the site ws good :)

You coming this time?

Posted
Cheers, West. You have no idea (or quite a lot of idea) how much I yearn for you to be right .... all today's updated info has been dreadful ...

:)

Oh yes, I know it didn't dry up til Sunday last tme, but by Sunday lunchtime, the site ws good :(

You coming this time?

Don't lose heart just yet William...I'm reserving judgement until we get towards the end of the weekend. This weeks unsettled weather's is causing all sorts of problems with the model output and timings as ever will be crucial. Keep believing in the ridge! :)

Posted

there is no possibiity of an acurate forecast until thursday is over in my opinion. It is the position of the low and air masses that will dictate the weather for the festival, I feel a lot could change in the next few days

I'm gradually getting less and less work done as I become more and more weather obsessed. It's utterly gorgeous this morning in London... can't someone freeze this weather and defrost it just before the festival?

I like West Is Best's positive outlook... would be intruiged to hear what Mr Murr has to say after his reliability last year, though.

Posted

I have horrible fear that West Is Best is being too optimistic. Not seen any updates though

Edit : Just seen that JACKONE has updated his Blog, after 11 pm last night

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=38634

Just about the worst seen so far ... AAAAARRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

<depressed>

Posted
Just a reminder that my blog will continue daily until the festival, and there will also be regular forecast updates also issued by Net Weather.

Cheers ... I think and hope!!!! :unsure:

Is it you who updates the Main Netweather Glastonbury forecast as well??

It's still showing the forecast made on Sat. 9th June ... not wanting to complain like .... I appreciate that an update just now would most likely make predictions worse ....

God I'm getting seriously depressed about prospects for next week at the moment.

Worse weather : starts just near when I stop work on Friday (it's very pleasant down here in London at the moment)

Better weather : Likely to resume just around when I return to work on 27th June.

How bloody unlucky is that???

:D

Offer me some faint crumbs of comfort folks!!!!

:(:D

Posted

Someone just posted this on efestivals:

S'gonna be a hot one!!

Currently there is uncharacteristically low pressure over Spain, when this happens, normally the low pressure is pushed across France (ha ha) by high pressure moving up from Africa.

The good thing for us is that this will pull that high pressure out in the Atlantic over the UK and it may just plonk itself over the top of Glastonbury Festival just in time for us to crack open the first beer...

Is there the slightest thread of truth in it, or is it just wishful thinking?

Posted

Definitely wishful thinking, unless there are massive and totally unpredicted changes very soon, very quickly!

Those Unisys synoptic charts for next week offer little hope of it.

Posted
Having said that, I'm sure WiB's forecast for 2005 was overly optimistic. If the storm had missed he'd have been bang on. However... (Is is possible to resurrect the 2005 thread from the archives to see if I'm right?)

You're abolutely spot on. I was hopelessly optimistic in '05. Steve Murr got that one right. It was searingly hot on the Thursday - but I completely missed the storm on the Friday. Trouble is, that storm dominated the rest of the festival.

I wouldn't actually be too pessimistic at this stage. I think the charts are looking to have some good potential for the end of next week. Could be plenty of warm sunshine, albeit with some showers perhaps. But still all to play for.

Edited by West is Best

Posted

A quick weather summary looking at GFS - around +16C to +18C, light WNW-NW breeze, dry.

But that's 10 days away so it's probable things will change between now and then.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted

hopes remain pinned on the Azores High pushing up and moving the systems away from the southwest before the festival

the AH's influence has been increasing the last few runs but there still seems a fair bit of uncertainty as to how much it'll affect things, though generally the model is still not optimistic about it. however this is a situation i've seen it mess up before so i'm not trusting it - there are still several ways we could stay much drier....

but for the moment wet weather gear is a must, but wellies might be going too far. 1mm of rain only penetrates 1cm of soil, the soil is already damp so no problems with surface run off and pooling and it's summer with all the grass and trees sucking the water up and out - it's gotta be quite a bit of rain or rain on hard ground to turn mudbath, so damp ain't so bad

Posted

The Azores High Cavalry arrives just too late!! :shok:

If (as JACKONE'S blog suggests**) it rains for much of Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, then the site will be pretty muddy by Saturday ... it would have to get quite hot for this to dry up on Sat and Sun, and I don't see many signs of that ... we have to pin out hopes on the rain being lighter/more intermittant in the Glastonbury region that elsewhere ...

**And indeed as the updated official Netweather forecast for the Festival also gloomily predicts ... can't link to it,. it's rather well hidden on this site!

Boots and Goretex, folks!! :shok:

Posted

ach don't give up yet - remember all the reports for download etc - was meant to be rain rain rain and they got a suntan

as it stands it's drizzle not rain, or one or two bits of proper rain - that'll be ok