Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Glastonbury Festival 2007

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Apologies for casting nasturtiums on Netweather ... there's a direct link to the Glasto written forecast, automated forecast, and to JACKONE's blog direct from the bottom of the home page. Oooops!

Worst, most irrational reason EVER to think the weather will be better than predicted : t the fact that the weather was better than predicted in previous weekends! Precedent is a poor guide ...

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted

lol never stated it as a reason to believe the weather will be better - just a reason not to suddenly believe the weather report five days away is the utter truth and despair

Posted
Definitely wishful thinking, unless there are massive and totally unpredicted changes very soon, very quickly!

Those Unisys synoptic charts for next week offer little hope of it.

i agree next week is looking horrible

Posted

24 to 48 hours left for us to be saved!!! :D

We're doooomed!!!!! :D

i agree next week is looking horrible

The more up to date Unisyus charts I saw this morning look TOTALLY FOUL!!!

Offer us hope, anyone???

Posted

william learn to read the charts and read them yourself

if anyone offers you hope and you don't get sunshine you're gonna be livid. you can see what hope there is - the weather system could pass over more quickly or further north or several other options but they don't look very likely do they

so you, and we and everyone else can just watch and hope. noone can turn up and offer you anything other than the next run of the models

Posted
william learn to read the charts and read them yourself

if anyone offers you hope and you don't get sunshine you're gonna be livid. you can see what hope there is - the weather system could pass over more quickly or further north or several other options but they don't look very likely do they

so you, and we and everyone else can just watch and hope. noone can turn up and offer you anything other than the next run of the models

I can read the charts, I wouldn't be on sites like this otherwise. They're all looking bad now as projected into next week. I guess I just meant : has anyone more professional than me got any hopes that things might yet shift, at this late stage, into a slightly better situation for the SW. Doesn't look much like it on nearly all current evidence. Although to be fair, some predictions are saying things might dry out and warm up a tad, on or by Saturday 23rd (by which time the mud'll be nice and deep! Lovely!)

Posted
An amateur, a professional, or anyone else for that matter is not going to be able to bend any new complexion on other than what the models show.

I would suggest quietly waiting till next week for the detail but don't expect a miracle. Being very close to the centre of projected low pressure I would instead expect, at this stage, almost a repeat of this week with a very unstable set-up and a high chance of further heavy rain and thundery downpours with a few brighter drier interludes in between the ppn pulses.

You might be kinder to yourself to accept what 'will be will be' and put up with it. Some dramatic weather and pyrotechnics would further improve and heighten the occasion anyway IMO. :drinks:

Enjoy! :)

Tamara

it is not possible to just accept weather for Glastonbury! and just wait and see. I keep looking at charts over and over again looking for somehting different that the rest of the world has missed knowing it isn't there. I keep thinking the next run will show a complete change!

Posted

you wish :drinks: in four days time though it could happen, it's just very unlikely. 2-5% chance kinda thing

interesting looking at the last ensembles as a few of the runs do hint at a different pattern, but seriously it's not looking like downpours at the moment. showers, occasionally heavy and plenty of dry patches :)

Posted
Apologies for casting nasturtiums on Netweather

What have Nasturtiums got to do with the weather ?

http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/info/fl.../nasturtium.asp

Posted

Well looks like the GFS has been pretty spot on since earlier in the week picking the trend and the placement of that low. It's forecast to be pretty unsettled conditions throughout the festival period but perhaps drying up towards the end. Probably won't feel too bad in the sunny spells between the showers tho. Looks like agreement between the ECM and METO now too....I'm off to buy some additional waterproofs! :rolleyes:

Edited by MattS

Posted
Well looks like the GFS has been pretty spot on since earlier in the week picking the trend and the placement of that low. It's forecast to be pretty unsettled conditions throughout the festival period but perhaps drying up towards the end. Probably won't feel too bad in the sunny spells between the showers tho. Looks like agreement between the ECM and METO now too....I'm off to buy some additional waterproofs! :rolleyes:

The problem is when you get in excess of 100,000 peeps on site it takes so little to create mud fields doesn't it? It's a wet build up to the festy which doesn't help, then Wednesday-Thursday look a bit dodgy really.

Posted

I'm sure Glastonbury goers on here know this, but one of the NW forecast team has done what looks to me like a top-notch forecast for Glasto: http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...p;#entry1001166

Take your wellies folks whatever you do. It may not be all that bad, but from my experiences it doesn't take all that much from the heavens to turn the place into a mud-fest. It may be ok, but I made the terrible mistake of not taking mine last time. My other half, who was there for the famous mud-festival of 1997, didn't make the mistake so I had to endure her 'I told you' throughout ...!

Posted

I want to thank JACKONE too ... despite at times wanting to kill him! :D

Nikwaxing my boots, which thankfully are excellent, and I'm taking not only my Goretex cycling waterproofs (jacket and trousers) but also an extra waterproof poncho.

I'll be the one hidden inside various small hippy marquees up in the Green Fields, or in the main Acoustic Tent, for most of the day ...

If you feel downcast at YET MORE rain at any stage, just drink more cider. You know it makes sense ...

Posted

take a boat, wellies, water gear, looking for a very wet week sorry

Posted
take a boat, wellies, water gear, looking for a very wet week sorry

in some ways that is better than 2005 when it was bone dry on a clay bed before the biblical rain fell. Plenty of wet ground for it to soak quickly into this year and much better drainage as well. Lots of sticky mud this year I think so may not need the boat.

I want to thank JACKONE too ... despite at times wanting to kill him! :D

Thanks, I think :D

The intent has always been to create an accurate forecast, I would much rather say a heatwave, but that not going to happen, Next Blog should be online by around 11pm.

Posted

Would someone be able to point in me in the direction of what the tool for handling rainfall projections at the 24-48 hours range to assist with the glastonbury forecasts . Obviously i'm aware of the GFS hi-resolution section but i seem to remember another mesoscale rainfall forecasting tool from somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Posted

Short range rain tracking every 15 minutes is now included on the Glastonbury automated forecast:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=...;sess=#forecast

The written forecast will be updated shortly, with the final update on Tuesday evening. Julian will also be continuing to update his blog every night until the start of Glasto as well :)

Posted
Short range rain tracking every 15 minutes is now included on the Glastonbury automated forecast:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=...;sess=#forecast

The written forecast will be updated shortly, with the final update on Tuesday evening. Julian will also be continuing to update his blog every night until the start of Glasto as well :)

Thanks Paul, thats superb! Although i kind of hoped we were'nt going to need it! :) I must say your coverage over here on Netweather has been second to none and is very much appreciated. Much better than over on TWO!!! :)

Posted
This might help you Matt. Meto Meso postage stamps output at 6 hourly intervals for rainfall.

http://meteocentre.com/models/ukmet_eur_12...PR_12_panel.gif

Might give a different view to over relying on GFS.

Cheers

Fantastic Iceberg! Cheers! :) Am i right in thinking that they upgraded their mesoscale data recently?

Edited by MattS

Posted
Thanks Paul, thats superb! Although i kind of hoped we were'nt going to need it! :) I must say your coverage over here on Netweather has been second to none and is very much appreciated. Much better than over on TWO!!! :)

Thanks Matt :)

Fantastic Iceberg! Cheers! :) Am i right in thinking that they upgraded their mesoscale data recently?

I think you'll find that's from their global model and not from their Mesoscale model.

Posted
Thanks Matt :)

I think you'll find that's from their global model and not from their Mesoscale model.

Ahh cool. I assume they don't make the mesoscale details available - apart form the BBC website which is limited!