Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

WS2300 - Problems

Posted

Wondered if anyone who uses Lacrosse weather stations or Heavy Weather software could help with this problem, or suggest a cause.

As the attached image shows, in the last couple of days, an increasing number of readings are showing as '---', while many of those which do send are somewhat anomalous, as a -9 degree night and a 27 degree day have suddenly been recorded next to eachother... both of which were followed by an equally unlikely fluctuation to 'normal' and, obviously neither temperature actually happened. Indeed, the shape of results graphs makes it look as if the machine is making up the results as it goes along, and the last couple of days has been far from reliable.

It could be a transmitting problem, but neither sensor nor unit have been moved, and it has been running for 4 months in these positions without problem, though this does make me wonder if it's a low battery issue - though would low power really result in nonsensically high/low readings? I'm also away from the unit at the moment, and am relying on an emailed version of the records, but apparently the unit has been acting up for the last couple of days.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help :wallbash:

post-7007-1179691208_thumb.jpg

Edited by Often_Will

Posted

My first instinct would be to check out / change the batteries, O_F.

My limited experience of remote transmitters makes me think it might be that - batteries tend not to last long outside, no matter what the conditions; even ni-cads/nhi-ms(?) tend to run down quickly.

Hope you get it sorted soon,

Kind regards,

Mike.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Very much likely a low battery problem, although my weather station is a different make, I get very similar problems when the batteries are low, i.e. When my barometer battery went down to just 80% I started receiving pressure anomalies, very high readings like 1070mb. I changed the battery even though it was reading 80% and the readings returned to normal.

Paul

Edited by Paul Carfoot

Posted

I have a La Crosse 2300 and it sounds like a battery problem to me too. Be the first thing to go for.

Posted

Pleased to say that as suspected it was indeed a battery issue. Got it sorted this afternoon... just in time to have missed the hot period of last week, and have entirely useless data for most of this month... but such is life, and it's up and running now. Will have to keep a closer eye on power in future, thanks for help :)

Posted
Pleased to say that as suspected it was indeed a battery issue. Got it sorted this afternoon... just in time to have missed the hot period of last week, and have entirely useless data for most of this month... but such is life, and it's up and running now. Will have to keep a closer eye on power in future, thanks for help :drinks:

Don't replace the batteries with rechargeables, use your normal kind, rechargeables don't last as long, even the 'big guns' :drinks:

yes mine is a ws2300

• 2 months later...
Posted

Hi guys this was the most relevant section i could post this in .

I have a WS3600 station and everytime humidity reaches 94% it goes to --.--( no reading ) on both temperture wind speed and humidity . Dont think its a battery issue as they are new , moisture is getting in somewhere .

Do any of you have any tips for reducing the moisture around plug in telephone like connectors ?

Edited by Delta76

• 3 months later...
Posted
Hi guys this was the most relevant section i could post this in .

I have a WS3600 station and everytime humidity reaches 94% it goes to --.--( no reading ) on both temperture wind speed and humidity . Dont think its a battery issue as they are new , moisture is getting in somewhere .

Do any of you have any tips for reducing the moisture around plug in telephone like connectors ?

Still struggling with the above issue if anyone has any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated ..... WS readings been off since Humidity rose above 87% today now its dropped to 84% its back giving out readings again . Anything i can do to combat this ?

Posted
Ive used Vaseline in my outdoor connections.. Fill the socket and then plug in..

Cheers PP will have a go at that .

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

I have had a WS2300 for sometime now and very pleased with it except for occasional wind reports of 57.7 mph that appear every now and again even when it is calm outside.

This of course also affects the windchill reading and makes a nonsense of maximum reading for wind and windchill.

Anybody got answer/view on what may be causing this.

Many thanks.

Posted
I have had a WS2300 for sometime now and very pleased with it except for occasional wind reports of 57.7 mph that appear every now and again even when it is calm outside.

This of course also affects the windchill reading and makes a nonsense of maximum reading for wind and windchill.

Anybody got answer/view on what may be causing this.

Many thanks.

Any radio hams close by/taxis? I know that I can rattle up a huge rainfall total when I'm on the radio. Simple cure is to wrap the station end of the cable around a ferrite ring or get one of those clip on chokes from maplin.. This will kill of any induced AC in the cable..

Posted
Any radio hams close by/taxis? I know that I can rattle up a huge rainfall total when I'm on the radio. Simple cure is to wrap the station end of the cable around a ferrite ring or get one of those clip on chokes from maplin.. This will kill of any induced AC in the cable..

Quite close to a main road with police cars, ambulances and taxi's up and down 24/7 which would explain why it is very hit and miss. i.e. happens with TV on and off computer on and off and in the dead of night when nothing on.

I have found the ferrite ring on Maplin. Can you expain exactly what you mean by wrap station end of cable around a ferrite ring ? (simply loop it through the ring a couple of times ?)Sorry I'm not very practically minded.

I searched but couldn't find a "clip on choke".

Thanks for your help pottyprof

Posted
Still struggling with the above issue if anyone has any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated ..... WS readings been off since Humidity rose above 87% today now its dropped to 84% its back giving out readings again . Anything i can do to combat this ?

Bugger, got the same problem this weekend, lost all signal for wind and then eventually from all outdoor senors. Tried the hard wired route, new batteries (in and out), cleaned connections etc etc. The signal icon comes on as it should but a load of big fat - - - - 's where there should be read out. The shop is local and I could take it back, but I'm not sure if they can check it against another one (or even if they are bothered) Worse comes to the worst, can I get another sensor transmitter unit on its own? :mellow:

The 2300 has been very good otherwise!

Posted
Bugger, got the same problem this weekend, lost all signal for wind and then eventually from all outdoor senors. Tried the hard wired route, new batteries (in and out), cleaned connections etc etc. The signal icon comes on as it should but a load of big fat - - - - 's where there should be read out. The shop is local and I could take it back, but I'm not sure if they can check it against another one (or even if they are bothered) Worse comes to the worst, can I get another sensor transmitter unit on its own? :doh:

The 2300 has been very good otherwise!

Here's a spare Coast. http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/te...ne_2300-25.html

Also try and bring the sensor indoors and let it dry out. I had the same problem when I first put my station together and since I moved the sensor it's been fine.

Edited by Greyowl

Posted
Quite close to a main road with police cars, ambulances and taxi's up and down 24/7 which would explain why it is very hit and miss. i.e. happens with TV on and off computer on and off and in the dead of night when nothing on.

I have found the ferrite ring on Maplin. Can you expain exactly what you mean by wrap station end of cable around a ferrite ring ? (simply loop it through the ring a couple of times ?)Sorry I'm not very practically minded.

I searched but couldn't find a "clip on choke".

Thanks for your help pottyprof

Loop 6 or so turns around the ring at the plug end..(station end)

These are the clip on type.. http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=...O&U=Strat15

Posted
Loop 6 or so turns around the ring at the plug end..(station end)

These are the clip on type.. http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=...O&U=Strat15

Many thanks pottyprof. It's people like you that make these forums so worthwhile. Many thanks again.

I will post my findings after testing for a week in case it helps others with a similar problem

Jim

I've been having similar problems with my new WS2350 which are almost certainly down to the great distance between my station in the garden and the display in the study. I'm working around it using software at the moment (I've scripted some stuff around open2300), but wonder if I might get that little bit more transmitting power if I put lithium batteries in the weather station or something?

Posted
I've been having similar problems with my new WS2350 which are almost certainly down to the great distance between my station in the garden and the display in the study. I'm working around it using software at the moment (I've scripted some stuff around open2300), but wonder if I might get that little bit more transmitting power if I put lithium batteries in the weather station or something?

You could doctor the circuit board antenna and build an external one? Would make it illegal but the range would be better..

Posted
Here's a spare Coast. http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/te...ne_2300-25.html

Also try and bring the sensor indoors and let it dry out. I had the same problem when I first put my station together and since I moved the sensor it's been fine.

Cheers Owly I'll give that a try next. The shop you recommend is my local supplier and if I have no further joy, its time for a visit!

Posted

That's strange as my WS2300 has stopped working too yesterday. The main unit is fine but is now not getting any data from the sensors outside. I've changed the batteries, brought the main unit to within a couple of yards of the sensors and also cleaned the battery contacts, but still no joy....of all the days for it to pack up :wallbash:

Posted
That's strange as my WS2300 has stopped working too yesterday. The main unit is fine but is now not getting any data from the sensors outside. I've changed the batteries, brought the main unit to within a couple of yards of the sensors and also cleaned the battery contacts, but still no joy....of all the days for it to pack up :wallbash:

Its a conspiracy - or the year 2.008k bug!

Posted

Hi all,just wanted to no has any one used a Lacrosse WS-3610 Weather Station in uk,i have one coming from the states,are they same as ws-3600.Will i have any probs.

Cheers