Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

WS2300 - Problems

Posted

Sorted that too now, one thing i cannot work out however is the publisher software...is it meant to collect data from my weather station/heavy weather software?

Thanks, DB.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Anyone know where i can get software for my Mac for the WS2300?? I really don't think they do any.

Posted
Anyone know where i can get software for my Mac for the WS2300?? I really don't think they do any.

Found this one.

http://www.windowstracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/33690

Also try asking these guys.

http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php

Edited by Greyowl

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Just to update part of my post from earlier in this thread. I went and picked up a new anemometer from the weather shop this morning and removed the old one from its mast - the problem was 'little friends' had eaten through the cable, so not a product problem at all!!! :)

I took the opportunity to put the unit on a another length of 5 ft pole so making it more in the wind flow. The new one is the later cup type, I've not had it up long enough but has anybody got any experience of this over the fan type?

If someone is good at soldering and needs a anemometer for a WS2300 (fan not cup type) then please pm me with an offer!

Edited by Coast

I took the opportunity to put the unit on a another length of 5 ft pole so making it more in the wind flow. The new one is the later cup type, I've not had it up long enough but has anybody got any experience of this over the fan type?

I've had the cup type for a while now and it's lasted longer than any of the three fan anemometers I've had.

It seems to be accurate but it'll be stationary in light winds when my AAG is registering 1-2 knots.

Posted
I've had the cup type for a while now and it's lasted longer than any of the three fan anemometers I've had.

It seems to be accurate but it'll be stationary in light winds when my AAG is registering 1-2 knots.

That's handy as when I was looking at it yesterday it doesn't move at all in light winds, I thought it might be tight gearing or something. It only seems to get going at around 5 mph or more.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

If anyone is looking for software for a WS2300 or 3600 there is an open source suite of scripts available called open2300 and open3600 - just google for them.

Posted

Well I've run it for a couple of weeks and its still registering 0.0 MPH :drinks: It did rotate a little bit this morning but the official local station was recording 15.0 mph at the time. I suppose I'll have to get it down of the pole and back to the shop then :doh:

Perhaps I should just return it and solder the wires back on my original, fan type one? :80:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I have a WS2300 and yesterday it suddenly started going wildly inaccurate after a few hours down to -19.6C and hasn't been above freezing since, anyone know what the problem could be?

The only things I can suggest it to:

Check the connections, remove them and give them a wipe to make sure there's no moisture on them.

Change the batteries in the sensor pack.

Do a complete power down (batteries out & pull the plug) on the console. This will re-establish the connection to all the sensors.

Then see what it's like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
The only things I can suggest it to:

Check the connections, remove them and give them a wipe to make sure there's no moisture on them.

Change the batteries in the sensor pack.

Do a complete power down (batteries out & pull the plug) on the console. This will re-establish the connection to all the sensors.

Then see what it's like.

Ok will do, thanks HebWX.

Edited by James M

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
One question, are you running it wired or wireless?

Just thinking that maybe some sort of interference has caused it if you're running wireless.

Well I tried all the things you suggested but no change. I'm running it wireless, can't run it wired at the moment because when we first setting up my Dad tried to connect the cable through the floorboards but it didn't reach and it was left there after it was working wireless. I'll get my dad to take the floorboards up then.

Edited by James M

You can easily run double the length of the standard length of wire for the connection if you want to run wired. The best cable is Cat5 but you can use normal telephone extention cable. If the telephone cable doesn't work initially then change the wiring on one end so it matches the other and it should work. :(

Posted
You can easily run double the length of the standard length of wire for the connection if you want to run wired. The best cable is Cat5 but you can use normal telephone extention cable. If the telephone cable doesn't work initially then change the wiring on one end so it matches the other and it should work. :(

Ok thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Just this minute got it connected up with a telephone extension cable and everything seems to working now, many thanks.

• 3 months later...
Posted

Dear All, This is my first post on this Forum. I bought a WS2300 a few days ago and have now wrestled the very poor instructions to the ground, put them in an arm lock and got a submission. After several hours of fiddling I have the weather station functioning properly. I had several problems: The first was that after about a day after I switched it all on, the batteries supplied packed in. Goodness knows how long they must have been sitting in a warehouse. Then yesterday evening the rain guage data record in "History.dat" suddenly decided that I had recently received 2121.2 mm of rain. Interesting. I reset the system, deleted the accumulated rainfall figure in the software - all to no avail.

At lunchtime today I stumbled across this Forum on the Net and read the article on WS2300 problems. I got home a few hours ago, set up "History2.dat" (having deleted the rainfall accumulated figure in Heavy Weather) and Bingo - all was well again.

I got interested in weather recording (and perhaps forecasting) as my other interests are Astronomy and Hillwalking - both pursuits that require reasonable weather. I got fed up relying on other peoples weather reports that covered 200 square miles - so decided to try to look at the trends in the local weather myself - we will see how that goes.

This long and rambling post is really to say Thank You to this Forum. Your previous postings have already solved one weather software problem for me.

Tom

Posted

Hello Tom

Do you have wirelles or cable conection bettwen out sensor temp-hum with console ?

If you have wirelles transmition is maybe from little out from range at frequency ,for this reason it say wrong data ,or from radio frequency interferences ,you try to conect with cable from out sensor temp-hum for to check if this problem it fix .

Posted

Hi Dimitris,

It is a wired connection between the rain and other guages. It is wireless transmission then to the Base station. But the reading shows correctly on the Base Station. It is only when I look at the historical data using "Heavy Weather" on my PC that the rain figures are wrong. So I think it isn't the rain guage or the wireless transmission to the base station. It isn't even the wired transmission from the Base Station to the PC (as on the "live" view in Heavy Weather, I see the correct cumulative rain total. It is only when that data is presented in the "History" file in Heavy weather that I see CRAZY figures. So i think it is a Heavy Weather software glitch.

I have sorted the problem by deleting the cumulative rain figure and setting a new "History.dat" file in "Heavy Weather" and "Heavy Weather Review" software. So it is fixable. It just means that if it does this again, I need to either ignore the cumulative rain total or change to another "History.dat" file - something that, if this happens frequently, will disrupt easy collection of longer term data.

Thanks for your help Dimitris

Tom