Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heavy rain/storms Thurs 19/7 - Sat 21/7

Posted

Mods feel free to move or close but I thought with this being quite an exceptional event for some, I thought I would open a dedicated thread.

Met office are forecasting totals up to 100mm in places which would undoubtedly cause flooding and traffic problems. The main risk seems to have moved now from the SE to central areas, however disruption is possible anywhere in England and Wales.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...t_warnings.html

An idea of rainfall area:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn304.png

You just know this is going to make the news come tomorrow night/Saturday for the wrong reasons.

What does everybody else think?

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Good idea , they have a single thread on TWO so :)

Posted

the ground is already saturated as can be seen by the flash flooding already this week. Being honest i am not just a little relieved personally that the main area of risk appears to be moving away from my area. however i really fear for vast swaithes of the country with this..

Posted

This was posted by retron on TWO

It is related to this thread :) , thanks retron!

Edited by pottyprof
Grabs are copyright. Link to them please.

Posted

No it isn't copyright

I PAY MY TV LICENSE!!!!!

Two allow them and have done for the last 3 years so why don't you?

I wouldn't worry about it Neil although to be honest I'm sure that it is infringing any copyright laws. [o[??]]

This is what the BBC states re. its website and I suspect the same would apply for the TV programmes:

"You may not copy, reproduce, republish, download, post, broadcast, transmit, make available to the public, or otherwise use bbc.co.uk content in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use. You also agree not to adapt, alter or create a derivative work from any bbc.co.uk content except for your own personal, non-commercial use. Any other use of bbc.co.uk content requires the prior written permission of the BBC."

To be honest I tihnk screenshots here fit into the part in bold and are not being used for commercial gain.

Sorry about the off-topic nature of this post but I thought it was important to highlight in the context. It is of course as ever vital to include the information source. [ :) ]

P.S. The above however does not apply to Met Office data such as images etc. which is copyrighted and may not be used elsewhere without express permission.

Here

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

That still doesn't explain things though ( except for your own personal, non-commercial use )

Which it is personal and it isn't commercial

Posted

Fair dealing circumvents certain copyright issues and applies to notions of criticism, news reporting, private and research (or studying) purposes accordin to the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.

How the founding fathers of this website choose to run it is a matter for them. You can, of course, vote with your logical feet.

Posted

Way to cautious as bbc walk over everyone as it is!

But anyway , sorry for thread crapping carry on :)

Posted

VP, Neil, anyone else looking, what Wibs has just posted is what was told to me by the BBC copyright department when I enquired a few months ago regarding a similar matter. I'm just going to do as they say, and not look to take this to the High Court or seek further legal advice.

Way to cautious as bbc walk over everyone as it is!
No they don't! It's their bloody stuff. The fact that we all pay a few quid a month doesn't mean it belongs to us too.

Posted

It would have been nice to be talking about the rainfall rather than BBC copyright issues which won't make much difference if we all get washed away tomorrow.

When was the last time that central southern Englang faced such an amount of rain in a short period? Just trying to gauge what sort of impact 50-100mm of rain will have?

Posted

News release

19 July 2007

Torrential downpours to hit holiday travel

As many schools break up for the summer holidays the Met Office is warning that more serious torrential downpours are on the way.

The risk of extremely heavy rain, thunder and lightning is greatest in the central and eastern parts of England on Friday, where up to 100 mm (four inches) could fall in a short period. Other areas at risk include south-west England and eastern parts of Wales, where there could be up to 50 mm (two inches) of rain.

Such significant amounts of rain could cause dangerous driving conditions at the start of the first major getaway of the summer holidays. The Met Office is working closely with the Highways Agency and Environment Agency to help warn motorists and residents about the potential for flooding.

Keith Groves, Head of Forecasting at the Met Office, said: "We are talking about a major rainfall event. When you get such heavy rainfall in such a short time then there is a greater risk of flooding. Areas such as Birmingham, the M5/M4 corridor and the Cotswolds are at the greatest risk of the most rain, but anywhere in England and Wales could see torrential downpours at some stage tomorrow and people should keep an eye on our forecasts."

The Highways Agency said: "The warning comes as many schools across England break up for the summer holidays. Rain and spray can reduce visibility and more than double the distance it takes to stop. Drivers are advised to use headlights and keep well back from the vehicle in front. Drivers are also advised to check the Met Office weather forecast and their routes for delays before they travel, and to listen for bulletins on the radio whilst they are on the road."

Phil Rothwell, Environment Agency Head of Flood Risk Policy, said: "Flash flooding in recent days and weeks has been very sudden and has often occurred in areas where there were previously few flooding incidents in living memory. Therefore, everyone should stay fully aware of the weather situation. Where there is the danger of rivers rising people should check for flood warnings in their area."

link http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pres...pr20070719.html

Posted
It would have been nice to be talking about the rainfall rather than BBC copyright issues which won't make much difference if we all get washed away tomorrow.

He says, talking about BBC Copyright issues.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Lets just say that since the year 2000, it is illegal to reproduce any digital content including audio, video or text / photographs online without the owners - copyright holders consent. If your not sure read the millennium digital copyright act.

Reproducing anything from the BBC is the same as popping to blockbusters renting and copying a DVD movie and then posting that copied data online. It's all the same thing, and people can get into alot of Sh*t for infringing modern copyright law.

Lets just say, links are ok - but the main informative content has to stay on the respective copyright holders website.

I'm sure you'll all agree and don't want to see NETWeather gets is pants sued off by some over hyped legal idiots and have to pay massive royalties or even be forced to shut down!

Snowjoke.

Lets all get back to building an ark for tommorrows rainfall event!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

I honestly can't remember the last time when the South of the U.K was due to see up to 100mm of rain. Yorkhire and other surrounding areas got hit by these sorts of amounts as we all know - the result as we all know was major flooding. However, these areas are used to seeing high rainfall amounts, and so natural drainage is more used to this, and can drain faster, but for us down here in the south, 100mm is 2 months worth!! The river in my village floods after 12mm of rain, so 100mm in one day would have major flooding.

In the early 1990s, I remember we saw two inches ina day, and that flooded shops in a nearby town badly, so tomorrow could be very bad indeed!!

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted

75mm fell in the worst affected area of S Yorks in 12 hours, that is almost 2 months worth for my area at this time of year.

Posted

Is the rain area now forming over Biscay / Brest area of France at the moment? Looks set for a slow track to Central Southern England atm...

Its hard to think that upto 60-90mm could fall in 18-24 hours - certainly would put a strain on Southern England's drainage systems and already saturated ground. Could the last few dry days provided some sort of relief? I guess any torrential bursts could be slow moving and prolonged...

Will be keeping a close eye on this...

Posted
Is the rain area now forming over Biscay / Brest area of France at the moment? Looks set for a slow track to Central Southern England atm...

Its hard to think that upto 60-90mm could fall in 18-24 hours - certainly would put a strain on Southern England's drainage systems and already saturated ground. Could the last few dry days provided some sort of relief? I guess any torrential bursts could be slow moving and prolonged...

maybe the Thames will overflow and flood London , causing billions of pounds worth of damage and thousands of deaths........

but then, maybe not! :pardon:

Posted

:pardon: And...........................there will still be a hosepipe ban next month!!

Seriously is it really going to be that bad??

Posted

From NW's front page.......

''The Midlands, Wales and East Anglia at highest risk of the heaviest rain and therefore highest totals in the shortest period of time. Northern England will see heavy rain also which is likely to be very slow moving in these parts later on Friday and into Saturday.''...............

Oh, bu***r! :pardon:

Regards,

Mike.

Posted

GFS latest predicts about 2-3mm here on the coast in the next 24hrs. We'll probably wake to a damp morning but it should brighten up in the afternoon with heavy showers inland and sunny here on the coast. :pardon:

Could be over an inch widely in the Midlands though.

Posted

That's a trough which will move in ahead of the main band and eventually merge into it.

Posted

Will John Holmes do any of his excellent updates on this situation? Please :pardon:

Posted
Could be over an inch widely in the Midlands though.

That's what worries me, LH. I've got to drive to Monmouth on Saturday morning - I'm dreading it. The synoptics look really grim, as does the potential for travel disruption.

Regards,

Mike.

Will John Holmes do any of his excellent updates on this situation? Please :pardon:

Good call Cal.

Regards,

Mike

Posted

i cant remember rain totals like this in the south,easten,central england it will certinly be a big event thay also say it will be very thundary possible storms?? :pardon: and it looks like i might experience some heavy rain from midday onwards good or bad,it might be very bad