Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heavy rain/storms Thurs 19/7 - Sat 21/7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
flashes getting more frequent. just saw a lovely lightning strike - but cloud to cloud , rather than cloud to ground.

doing the "1.2.3.4..." counting between flash and sound , i got up to about 10. not sure how that translates into miles away.

I think 3 seconds equates to around 1 mile. But I can't say that for certain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

New warnings out for a large swathe of the UK from SE up to North Wales:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...t_warnings.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Orange sheet lightning to my NE :cc_confused: yay thanks snowyowl lol I didnt even realise it was flashing away out there

Posted
I'm gonna shoot the person who closed that thread! Just as I uploaded my last picture too! I'm not gonna write all what i put again :cc_confused:

Shame, because now I am wondering why you have posted pictures of grey clouds taken during day light hours?

Posted

Spectacular storm here in Selly Park - lightning bolts and explosive thunder as opposed to the usual CG flash and rumble ten minutes later.

Wish you were all here* - it really was edge of the seat stuff!

Night all,

Regards,

Mike.

* If you really want to be here, bring beer and money!!!!!! You'll need it to offset the stultifyingly boring nature of an otherwise not bad place.

P.S Where have all our names gone from the bottom of the page?

Edited by Winston

Posted
I'm gonna shoot the person who closed that thread! Just as I uploaded my last picture too! I'm not gonna write all what i put again :cc_confused:

Take your best shot :p

Sorry :lol: (i did give a warning that i was going to though)

Posted
About 2 miles.

yeah - it seems to be skirting to the east of basingstoke. just geting light rain here, with flashes to the north east and south east. we're not getting the full force of it.

anyone got a recent radar image?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

snippe from metoffic for tomorrow.

.... " but there is potential for 75-100mm in places "

Wow

i cant wait to see what happens.. I feel sorry for people who flood easy though :cc_confused:

Posted
Shame, because now I am wondering why you have posted pictures of grey clouds taken during day light hours?

:cc_confused:

I am in two minds do i go to bed now or sit up and watch???????????????

Posted

:lol: Yes I got all disorientated then as well :p Nice pics Beka love the first one especially.

Looks like things are nearly starting to die out in the IOW now.

Still looking rather tasty in the Midlands. I'm suprised there aren't more reports

Posted
Spectacular storm here in Selly Park - lightning bolts and explosive thunder as opposed to the usual CG flash and rumble ten minutes later.

Wish you were all here - it really was edge of the seat stuff!

Night all,

Regards,

Mike.

Had the benefit of this as I left work in Brum at around 9.30pm. Those rumbles were really something, eh?

Wished I hadn't parked on the top floor of the multi storey car park tho :cc_confused:

Posted

I've just seen distant lightning to my west off the Sussex coast - only popped my head out of the window for a second...I'm off guys!!!! :cc_confused:

Posted
Take your best shot :lol:

Sorry :cc_confused: (i did give a warning that i was going to though)

It was taking all that time to do the uploading lol. You are forgiven! :p raining here with a few over head strikes according to my SA. A couple of very distant rumbles followed.

Posted

Latest radar seems to show the midlands storm heading a little too much NW for us. Looks like west Shropshire & North wales. Just the hope that it does seem to be expanding a little.

I've been out all night & surprised to see this at all to be honest. There were some very impressive towers around when I was going out at 7 pm but I just thought they were dying stuff.

Fingers crossed, I'm off work tomorrow so don't mind being woken by a storm :cc_confused:

Dave

Posted

wooah - just had a huge Thor like sky crushing rumble right now...maybe its not going to skirt around basingtoke after all.

rain is quite light though. just a shower and not the torrential downpour.

update: big flash. counted "1...2" and then the rumble. getting closer i guess. anyone got a radar image or a url to look at the radar?

Edited by justinflavin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Looks like the west midlands storm is starting to die away according to the latest radar output.

Posted

I'd love to stay up but alas i'm up at 04.45 tomorrow, will be interesting to see what greets me in the morning!

Posted
:cc_confused: Yes I got all disorientated then as well :lol: Nice pics Beka love the first one especially.

Looks like things are nearly starting to die out in the IOW now.

Still looking rather tasty in the Midlands. I'm suprised there aren't more reports

Hi, Brian. See my post on page 5 of this thread for exciting details!!

Kind regards,

Mike

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.
I've just seen distant lightning to my west off the Sussex coast - only popped my head out of the window for a second...I'm off guys!!!! :cc_confused:

Just done exactly the same and seen a couple of flashes to my south east. These storms seems to be moving very slowly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
snippe from metoffic for tomorrow.

.... " but there is potential for 75-100mm in places "

Hi Lynxus, Anglia News this evening warned of 3 - 4 inches of rain and said prepare for widspread flooding. :p

This really could be some event! Yet I dont think East Anglia will be worst affected :lol: Central southern England and midlands could see some mammoth totals I reckon.

It's great to see storms erupting in the channel too, obviously we still have the heavy thunderstorms to deal with across parts of England and Wales. What a 24 hour period ahead :cc_confused:

Mammatus

Posted
:cc_confused:

I am in two minds do i go to bed now or sit up and watch???????????????

Same here Andy!

My way of thinking is..... if a storm (if one arrives) is decent enough, it will wake you up. If not, who cares if you missed it? :lol:

Posted
Had the benefit of this as I left work in Brum at around 9.30pm. Those rumbles were really something, eh?

Wished I hadn't parked on the top floor of the multi storey car park tho :o

Hi, Simon. Promises to be quite a night and day. Off to bed now as tomorrow might be a tricky travelling day for us Brummies.

Stay dry,

Kind regards,

Mike.

P.S. This could be quite an eventful 24 hours and I don't say that lightly. Stay safe.

Edited by Winston

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I have just got back from Culver the Eastern most point on the IoW, I didn't bump into Kelly, there were quite a few cars up there.

I saw several flashes from the E and SE, from what I can tell its the stuff of off Beachy head.

The flashes were through a lot of rain, they looked like round explosions from my viewpoint, they were quite dull orange white. Vague rumbles interspersed with the odd loud bang that was short and sweet which was odd. One more thing there was low level mist rising off of the ground all the way down to sea level as I drove home, it made the road ahead look spooky :o

Russ