Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heavy rain/storms Thurs 19/7 - Sat 21/7

Posted

PhilB

Astonishong photos there mate, many thanks for posting. I was in the city centre at the time in an Italian in the jewellery quarter. I too have been looking forward to a night storm all year and managed to get couped up away from a window seat, gutted i missed so you photos are very much appreciated.

Posted

Just had a great nightime thunderstorm with quite abit of bright sheet lightning well it would be at night. :unsure:

CC`s and 1 or 2 CG`s the main part went just NE of here,it`s seems to have stopped at the moment.

Did`nt expect thunder tonight I must admit. :unknw:

Edit: rumble of thunder then there are a few flashes SE too.

Posted
This event is definitely being over ramped. I really don't see much disruption at all apart from a few localised cases of flooding.

Are you a psychic? And even if it is a 'few localised cases of flooding' I'm sure that anyone who does suffer through the heavy rain on its way will be disrupted some what.

Are you a psychic? And even if it is a 'few localised cases of flooding' I'm sure that anyone who does suffer through the heavy rain on its way will be disrupted some what.

No I'm not a psychic, but after evaluating the situation, it doesn't appear to be as severe as many people seem to think. A few isolated cases of a few houses being flooded is the most; might make the local news.

Posted

Im not expecting the rain until late afternoon tomorrow and im not sure

how heavy the rain will be by the time it moves north towards my area :unsure:

Posted
I think that they shouldn't cause undue alarm or it may become a case of boy cries wolf when a really serious event comes. They have 80% chance of disruption for some areas, I don't see that. I think the most affected areas are areas that are well equipped to deal with flooding. A handful of cases of localised flash flooding is the most we will get out of this event, IMO.

Am sticking my neck out though and could be wrong...

Hi Magpie :unsure:

You could well be right mate. I do hope those words don't return to haunt you though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff
Phil these pics are AWESOME! :unsure:

What camera/settings do you use? :unknw:

hi keepster, pictures were taken with a canon 5d set at iso100,a 25 second exposure at aperture f10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The rain that hit the news elsewhere of late has arrived here, its tipping :unsure: Looking at the radar it seems to be intensifying as it passes over. Too loud to hear the distant thunder etc.

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
after evaluating the situation

Hi Magpie, would you be kind enough to show us your evaluation? :unsure:

Mammatus

Posted
No I'm not a psychic, but after evaluating the situation, it doesn't appear to be as severe as many people seem to think. A few isolated cases of a few houses being flooded is the most; might make the local news.

I'm sure if only a 'few' houses being flooded it will still make the national news. Maybe you are right though it might not be as severe but however as its in the south it will still make it onto the national news.

Posted

Thanks for posting those amazing photos Phil! :unsure:

I've just been to the seafront - lots of activity to the East, but too far away

for photos. It's quiet at the moment, drizzling, and very muggy.

Posted

Right just come off the seafront and have observed some very bright but infrequent flashes of lightning - these cells are very slow moving. The rain falls quite steadily early on and gradually gets heavier. I've come back as the lightning and thunder have reduced to about 1 strike every 5 mins - a little disappointing. What I did see was wonderful. YIKES just had a close one with a good rumble of thunder!!!

Looks like I'm caught the average rainy bit of the storm but with the main cores staying in the Channel and perhaps moving onto the Kent coast :unsure:

Phil those photos are fantastic!

Edited by MR CB

Posted
A few flashes here and becoming very humid outside. Not a breath of wind

Hi Thunderman - haven't see you for quite a while :unsure: looks like you may not see anything now, but perhaps later tonight - as its all moving N-NE (another band just south of Caen)

Edited by MR CB

Posted

Raining here now, and the storm I've been watching to my East seems to be intensifying somewhat. Which direction are they moving in? :unsure: I thought they were moving N/E ? But this one seems to be getting closer to me.

Posted

I get the feeling that all the rain will move northwards quicker than expected

during tomorrow but time will tell

Posted
Raining here now, and the storm I've been watching to my East seems to be intensifying somewhat. Which direction are they moving in? :unsure: I thought they were moving N/E ? But this one seems to be getting closer to me.

Its clearly rotating around that area of low pressure over western France I think and appears to move NW - therefore heading for you. The storms in the Channel have sprung up due to that low pressure's interaction with the warm moist air over Northern France these are moving N-NE.

An expert would know better...

Edited by MR CB

Posted
I honestly can't remember the last time when the South of the U.K was due to see up to 100mm of rain. Yorkhire and other surrounding areas got hit by these sorts of amounts as we all know - the result as we all know was major flooding. However, these areas are used to seeing high rainfall amounts, and so natural drainage is more used to this, and can drain faster, but for us down here in the south, 100mm is 2 months worth!! The river in my village floods after 12mm of rain, so 100mm in one day would have major flooding.

In the early 1990s, I remember we saw two inches ina day, and that flooded shops in a nearby town badly, so tomorrow could be very bad indeed!!

Hey there, the post you have made is utter ****, Drainage systems away from yorkshire are just as good you know, the government dont pick which areas can have poorer drainage systems and are more liable to flood. We was flooded in hull(My home was under a lot of water) We had 100mm of rain, and it was chaos, It was even chaos after the first 40-50mm, the extra 50mm just added to the water levels.

Plus, hull its self has not been flooded like this for a century, so evidence does not support your post. I dont want to come accross horrible mate, its just that after what i have been through the past 1 1/2 months we a reaccurance on the way. I do like to think that before people make claims, they should really think about it. I hope you dont get flooded. Its not very nice. oh and p.s The river hull was and is currently on floodwatch for the first time in gods knows many years:)

Posted
We'll see come tomorrow if I'm right or not. I may be wrong and i'll be willing to accept that, don't have any problems with it. Just think it's being over hyped a bit.

Well im hoping your right as i have a long way to drive tomorow on my own.. So i will get a good night's sleep now knowing its not gunner be that bad. thanks hun

lol kaz x