Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

will london flood

Posted
A bit harsh in my humble opinion. There is great a housing shortage in the South East and not all people are rich and affluent in the South. Some of the most deprived areas in the country are in Inner London. Most of London is built on flood plains including Downing Street many years ago. Since the building of council houses has almost ceased people who cannot afford a Mortgage are desperate for accommodation . Apparently 10% of buildings in the UK are built on Flood Plains going back 300 years. The rainfall that has fallen in the last three months has broken all records, so the accumulation of water is unprecedented. The trouble with the Thames is it is tidal and has a lot of contributories that add to the problem. London has flooded many times before with great loss of life.

well said some people certainly do not think before they speak!

lol, looks pretty impressive on the radar.

*re: harsh.

Yes, in some respects, but then, the fact that people are not preparing for anything, even 'simple things', its just a total lack of responsibility on the part of the masses.

Q. How many residents in the flood plain area of London, are today taking the precaution of forming a reserve of drinking water, enough to last say 1-2 weeks?

Probably no one.

---

Meanwhile, the HEAVY rain advances northward from the fine nation of France.

Calrissian: having a spicy lunch

well I suppose they could save water in between worrying where to live thankful for their lives and wondering if their is anything left for them !

Posted

I think the problem is Calrissian is we live in a society where we're used to the government protecting us without having to worry about, worrying about ourselves/each other. That's what comes with a modern society, weakness, selfishness, laziness and without any real worries.

Unfortunately with immigration still high, birth rates on the rise, people living for longer and as a result a rapid rise in population in the UK, mkore houses will be built adding to the concrete state preventing water from draining off easily in both the countryside and towns.

Posted
So I should stop building an ark then? Thank goodness, the wife is getting a bit annoyed with the noise from all the pairs of animals I have crammed upstairs (incase the water reaches that high!).

Yeah I was getting confused with cubits and hands, and all sorts of other things. Why didn't God illustrate the bible? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Next year..when the water companies reintroduce hosepipe bans, we'll be wondering what the hell they did with this once in a lifetime opportunity to stock up with surplus supplies :)

Edited by Timmytour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
Next year..when the water companies reintroduce hosepipe bans, we'll be wondering what the hell they did with this once in a lifetime opportunity to stock up with surplus supplies :)

Good point!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
I think they are being too pessimistic. I don't think there will be widespread flooding tomorrow (Friday). Most places will be able to deal with the rain and I feel there will be less falling than predicted. Some localised flooding is possible though.

Quote me if you want!

:)

Mammatus :)

Edited by Mammatus

Posted
I think the problem is Calrissian is we live in a society where we're used to the government protecting us without having to worry about, worrying about ourselves/each other. That's what comes with a modern society, weakness, selfishness, laziness and without any real worries.

Unfortunately with immigration still high, birth rates on the rise, people living for longer and as a result a rapid rise in population in the UK, mkore houses will be built adding to the concrete state preventing water from draining off easily in both the countryside and towns.

Yes, UK society is weak minded.

If it weren't for immigration, the UK would already be facing imminent demographic disaster.

Popn. ain't rising much.

==

We need around 3-5 million single apartment homes for all the old and single people, unless you'd like to have them all sleep in govt. run bunk bed dorms?

----

------------

BACK to the issue.

I almost wish London would suffer some kind of flood, it'd wake up the damn policy planners in whitehall, where frankly - as many here realise, couldn't give a damn about what happens west of Reading or North of Watford.

The radar is still looking impressive for this evening, should get a fair few hours of heavy rain across most of the SE, but it does'nt look like the currently dire areas will get too whacked.

Calrissian: watching Charley go nuts with Chanelle...again.

Posted

London wont flood but if this was spring I would be concerned. Certainly driving back from work the rain is heavy and the roads are becoming very waterlogged. The South East has missed most of the really heavy rain that Central England has received, but tonight could be the wettest for some time in the South East. By tomorrow if this keeps up there may well have been 40mm of rain . Average up to 250% rainfall for July. <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Yes I know, I wasn't exactly spot on with that prediction, lol. My warning maps however were spot on. I am confident in this one though.

Only kidding Magpie, it's great that your wearing your heart on your sleeve and giving your own forecast and predicting what you think will happen. <_<

Mammatus :lol:

Edited by Mammatus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
If London Floods a bit no doubt it will take over our tvs :lol:

21st century Beefeaters come equipped with waders and canoes sorry kayaks :lol:

Considering London is our Capital city that is not surprising its on TV more when there is an something good or bad really, its the same the world over :) .

If its bad, the old blitz spirit will appear in the true Londoner no matter what the color or creed no doubt.

Collecting thoughts from today, the overriding thing in the back of my mind, is the hope that this is the worst of the bad summer over and done with, we don't need anymore memorable events...(Well discount electrical activity :) )

Will London flood? still we don't know, till the fat lady sings/all that extra water upstream passes through to the sea :)

Russ 8)

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

read the post from earlier - it wont happen - the river is tidal below teddington lock and flooding will only occur from high tides or flash flooding in exceptional rain events. lets not perpetuate the scare stories and lets stick to the facts.

Posted
read the post from earlier - it wont happen - the river is tidal below teddington lock and flooding will only occur from high tides or flash flooding in exceptional rain events. lets not perpetuate the scare stories and lets stick to the facts.

The above mentioned water is from an exceptional weather event. Nobody alive knows what that much water does. But I happen to think it'll be OK like yourself, but I don't know for certain. Do you know for certain 100%?

Regards,

Russ

Posted

If its bad, the old blitz spirit will appear in the true Londoner no matter what the color or creed no doubt.

What wouldn't other areas of the country give for that spirit right now <_<

Bombs or floods...londoners just carry on going,,,unlike everybody else in the world who would totally freak out :o

mmm..or am I taking this whole media approach just a tad too far :lol:

Posted
Only kidding Magpie, it's great that your wearing your heart on your sleeve and giving your own forecast and predicting what you think will happen. <_<

Mammatus :lol:

You were very harsh to quote him. Magpie is one of the few that I have seen suggest well in advance the summer could be what it has been...

I give you....

Summer 2007 thoughts

I have a feeling we are in a for a scorcher of a summer now. Just a feeling.

Probably will be a washout now.

I'd ignore his feelings though and rely on his suppositions!

Sorry Magpie...just bantering :o

You were very harsh to quote him. Magpie is one of the few that I have seen suggest well in advance the summer could be what it has been...

I give you....

Summer 2007 thoughts

I'd ignore his feelings though and rely on his suppositions!

Sorry Magpie...just bantering :lol:

I don't take myself seriously so I don't mind. Perhaps I should stick to my instincts, they are often right.

At least London hasn't flooded yet. <_<

Posted
What wouldn't other areas of the country give for that spirit right now :rolleyes:

Bombs or floods...londoners just carry on going,,,unlike everybody else in the world who would totally freak out :o

mmm..or am I taking this whole media approach just a tad too far :lol:

The blitz spirit is no doubt being felt along all the rivers that flooded recently :) The only difference with London is its done with Pie Mash and Liquor(however you spell it) :D

Seriously in times of adversity, we as a nation are pretty good at getting by.

Russ

Posted
The big problem must be the upcoming winter period.

How many times are concerns about potential water shortages expressed in terms of how low the water table is coming out of winter. That's how it was going into last summer. Well now it looks like within a year, the twinkling of an eye in terms of time in general, the concern might be how high the table is coming out of summer.

Would this be a justified concern. In other words that it might not take much more than a slightly wetter than average winter to push us over the top?

This is one of the best threads on N-W for ages, up there with the best runaway threads during winter. Poor John, far from the madding crowd indeed!

TT - it's a good point but far too early to call. A dry month or two will correct things remarkably. Nowadays a wet autumn tends to be a presage for winter floods; time was, and many on here are far too young to remember, when spring floods were the norm in the lower reaches of the big upland catchments (Severn and Yorkshire Ouse particularly) as winter snows melted. It is an often overlooked factor of our warming climate that the pattern of flooding we have nowadays is very different. We've always had floods, but now they occur more readily in any season it seems; previously the big floods tended to be winter / spring events.

London is always very unlikely to flood: the main threat in a UK river channel is the mid reaches where the ratio of upstream catchment to channel cross section tends to be highest (it can be higher right at the head but here the area is so small that any flooding tends to be trivial); the Thames through London is a much corrected channel and therefore relatively fast flowing (Lower reaches of any river tend to flow the fastest anyway), even given its tidal nature. The Thames Barrier helps by preventing the risk of high flow and high tide coinciding. Even with the enormous rainfall last week it is NOT the case that the flood works down the river like a lamb through a gorged Boa Constrictor. The flood dissipates significantly as it moves downstream - the flooding of the floodplain increases the resistance to flow, provides for ground seepage and loss from evaporation, and ultimately holds much water back, and so the shape of peak flow gets longer, but commensurately much flatter downstream: it is the amplitude NOT the wavelength than drives flood risk.

Nowadays, London is FAR more likely to flood from a winter spring tide than it is from an inland rainfall event.

The above mentioned water is from an exceptional weather event. Nobody alive knows what that much water does. But I happen to think it'll be OK like yourself, but I don't know for certain. Do you know for certain 100%?

Regards,

Russ

The EA have some very sophisticated modelling. There is flow monitoring at many points on key rivers, and a reasonably dense network of rainfall gauges. After the event assessment of risk is, nowadays, very good. Before the event the problem is not knowing how much rain will fall, how quickly, or where.

If London was at any serious risk of flooding I think we'd know about it well in advance. Let's not get carried away.

Edited by Stratos Ferric