Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Do you think this the last snow of winter for most of us?

shacks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

I think we may get a chance of snow some time before spring.

What really winds me up is the TV overhype of snow. I always was going to be a near thing with bits here and there for midlands/s.yorkshire area. What we got was all these daily Severe Weather Warnings. I can't believe they dole out the SWW like ice creams on a hot day. It really is too much. I think they are covering themselves far far far too much.

yes it is dissapointing for those of us wanting snow. It is always the same pattern. Hype hype hype then warning warning warning then finally... a complete an utter wrong forecast by a mile! They should appologise in my opinion.

Sorry for my rant but it gets to you sometimes. :(

Posted
  • Location: Whitehaven, Cumbria. Latitude: 54.5469; Longitude: -3.5868

What really winds me up is the TV overhype of snow. I always was going to be a near thing with bits here and there for midlands/s.yorkshire area. What we got was all these daily Severe Weather Warnings. I can't believe they dole out the SWW like ice creams on a hot day. It really is too much. I think they are covering themselves far far far too much.

yes it is dissapointing for those of us wanting snow. It is always the same pattern. Hype hype hype then warning warning warning then finally... a complete an utter wrong forecast by a mile! They should appologise in my opinion.

Sorry for my rant but it gets to you sometimes. :(

I know what you mean mate, even this site was giving us a 95% risk of snow for Friday & Saturday all be it for light snow. I checked this site on Weds and Thursday and still 92% chance of snow was given for most of the weekend.

The same with the weather after the news programs. I was that optimistic I took Thurs & Friday of work so I could enjoy a long weekend with my kids in the snow. I even bought a bloody sledge and a snow shovel. We did get snow at 4,30 am and it was gone by 6 am. But all these sites that give these predictions certainly got it wrong for our area big time, after giving us so much promise. We even got severe weather warnings on the BBC weather after the news. So what went wrong, how did they get it so wrong?

Well snow wishers do you think this weekend is our last snow of this winter or not.

Well, for it to be the last it would have to occur in the first place and since it hasn't it can't but if it had it probably would but i don't think it will so it won't.

Clear?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
In a word no, it would be a very rare year indeed if we are not to record anymore snow this season. Even in mild winters a cold snap at some stage between now and april normally occurs, in 1989 and 1990 there was a cold snowy spell in april. Can anyone tell me when we have had such a year when there has been no snowfall at low levels in england from 2nd feb onwards...

In recent years February has been the month that has delivered the snow goods and for northern parts early March has also been a time where snow has featured heavily.

Northerlies and easterlies have a greater chance of occuring and sustaining themselves from now onwards particularly in late winter as the atlantic traditionally quietens down. (late feb/early march is a time when northerlies tend to feature)

Not sure if I can think of any- some years will have come close though. Perhaps 1959 might have managed it.

1982 is sometimes quoted, with a warm February and spring following the exceptionally snowy December and January, but even then, there were brief wintry snaps in all three months of Spring 1982.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I really don't think this is the last cold spell unless something exceptional happens, although saying now that it probably will knowing our luck :lol: .

Posted

Irish Met are saying we are in for a very windy night here with heavy rain clearing in the morning to wintery showers with sleet and snow.

Sorry for my rant but it gets to you sometimes. :o

They're always 100% correct with the rain though :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I don't expect anything else, i've had my 1cm :lol: for this year , i'm just hoping spring/summer comes early and lasts well into October

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I'm not giving up hope just yet. What I can't understand though it transitional snow. Last February, there were six good cold and icy days before a transitional snow event which actually turned out to be a bit of a letdown whereas in March 2006, it had been mild on the 11th and rain turned to snow giving a covering on the morning of 12th. I can't think why - it came from the southwest as well. Maybe the ground didn't warm despite the mild air temperatures.

I think that if it doesn't snow by the 15th March, it's unlikely it will snow at all here!

Posted

China winter snowiest in decades –– people running out of food - 28 Jan 08 - Brutal winter weather across China on Monday, choking energy flows and claiming a rising human and economic toll that pummeled local stock prices ahead of Chinese New Year

At least 24 people have died in two weeks of accidents due to snow, sleet and freezing cold across central, eastern and southern China, regions used to milder winters, Xinhua news agency said.

Officials in Hunan, Jiangsu and other provinces calling the snow and cold the worst in decades.

The main Shanghai stock index plunged 7.19 percent, its fourth biggest drop this decade, as investors added the weather woes to gloom about inflation and the global economy.

By the end of Monday, a backlog of 600,000 stranded at the main rail station in Guangzhou - in the relatively warm commercial far south - was expected. Television showed green-uniformed anti-riot troops ready to keep order around the station.

The China Meteorological Administration said the cold snap showed no signs of lifting.

Cargo ships docked at Shanghai's Baoshan Port were also delayed by snow that has hampered operations.

Already the country is guessing the economic cost, especially from coal shipment delays that have intensified power shortfalls.

Residents in central and southwest China are also complaining of shortages of fresh foods and rocketing prices for rice, vegetables and eggs.

The government has not announced deaths due to freezing in homes. But homes south of the Yangtze River generally do not receive central heating and are not built for such icy weather.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080128/wl_nm/...VPq5tmUPW2s0NUE

Thanks to Dean T. Haskell for this link

Makes "half an inch of snow brings M25 to a standstill" seem a bit tame doesn't it ?

Edited by snowmackem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
Some of us haven't seen any snow this winter.

Too right, nor last Winter. I don't expect this Winter to produce any snow here.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Morning everyone

In a way im quite happy with the snowfall we have seen so far this year,[ especially now im delivering around the hills around Northumberland} So far ive seen 3 significant falls of snow , {not so much around Lowland Newcastle} only 67m ASL . but places like Morpeth/ Stannington/ Scots Gap/ Bolam/ Cambo areas which are quite high {mainly areas to the West of the A1, anything to the East, its been dissappointing but thats expected ,

Nigel

Posted

What's interesting (if disappointing) is that the only lying snow here was the Sunday evening, November 18th when it snowed quite heavily for a couple of hours.

As usual these days, it had all gone in a few hours and did not last until morning. There has been no lying snow since - hardly even a flake in the wind.

Snow in late February and March is quite possible but it doesn't usually last very long. Come to think of it, snow in any month doesn't last very long these days.

There's be a bit more snow around for the north I would think before the winter's out - can't see it down here in the south now though unless there is a massive turn around in the current weather pattern which does seem very unlikely.

Moose

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

we have heavy snow falling here in the west of ireland, current temp 1.4c and falling, dew point 0.9c.

im quite happy way this winter is going, we did exceptionally well here on thursday and friday, friday we had some very heavy falls of snow, each shower depositing at least 2-3 cms of snow, with quite a good covering by the late afternoon, enough to make a snowman with my kids, and then get lashed by snowballs. this is our 6th snowfall event of the winter so by last years standards we are doing very well. also temps on friday never got above 0.6c and dropped to 0.0c in snow showers, temps were at -1.1c at 5.30pm with everything frozen solid, just to add the amount or frosts this winter has far beaten any winter since the new millenium, so things are looking up as regard as winter is concerned, hope this trend continues.

regards. :clap:

Posted

We had a flurry here today at about 5 pm for at least 90 seconds.