Cold?
IGNORED

December CET

Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Wow hadley figures out the day after tomorrow hit December and we're all dead and still arguing.

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cet_info_mean2008.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Well the longer they leave it the more dodgy it looks, would be a strange coincidence if it is released when the cold loosens its grip...

Posted

Day / Date / GFS Minimum temperature 18z

Thursday 8th (-1C)

Friday 9th ( -3C)

Saturday 10th (-6C)

Sunday 11th (-1C)

Monday 12th (+1C)

Tuesday 13th (+6C)

Wednesay 14th (+3C)

Thursday 15th (-1C)

I bet a pint the December CET is thrown to the wolves on this date.

Posted

It is rather strange that the Met Office are so late in releasing the actual December CET, as they normally release the average CET's before the other averages on the 1st day of every month! :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

It is all starting to look a little dodgy. I think they don't like cold Months( It does'nt help with the globel warming arguement).

I wonder how long we have to wait when Jan is over.

Posted

Gordon Bennett is my comment on you lot.

If someone or something does not occur just when you want it, then of course its a conspiracy. Why on earth would some want to create such a thing? think first, for once be patient and wait until the full figures are released. Even if some within the Met O wanted to fiddle the figures how the heck could they with so many other centres and individuals producing their own version. These are rarely more than 0.1C at most 0.2 C different

relax and wait.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
Gordon Bennett is my comment on you lot.

Now there's a phrase you don't hear often nowadays!

Any chance that it'll come out rounded up to 5.3C does anyone think?

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

I'm sure (and had a look but cant find it) someone posted a link to the METO website with the annual 08 figures. So to calculate this, they must have the Dec08 value (and I think it was the standard format, so would have been in there).

Will see what I can find.

JH - Dont worry. At least nobody complains when a Weather Warning isnt released on time :)

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

I think as innocent as the delay probably is, on top of the two line update for the winter forecast (there is usually a de briefing summary on previous occasions) this does not help disperse any suspicions - regardless of the probable truth. The impression created is that the weather has not been co-operating with their expectations and wishes - however untrue in reality that may be. They have nailed their colours very strongly to the progressive warming agenda and whilst they will keep repeating that individual weather events are just natural ebbs and flows in an ever warming world - jo public at large, and they are aware of this, are not, in general, buying into it. Irrespective of whether it is true or not.

Posted

What a hilarious little thread with some bizarre streams of consciousness saying a lot more about people's inability to be rational rather than the Met Office publishing their figures on time. I haven't laughed so much in pity about a thread on here for at least 24 hours!

Posted
Here we go:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ser...tics/uktemp.txt

3.1oC for Dec08.

Hold on...thats UK Figures :)

Having a further look, it does look like it is not released yet.

Agree with JH and Shugs...dont see why all the complaints.

As the UK figures is above, I would guess that it is probably somewhat higher having a Southern bias.

For those that cant wait for the figures, heres a summary for 2008 (Including Dec)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2008/

Edited by Shiny_Bottom_1

Posted
I think as innocent as the delay probably is, on top of the two line update for the winter forecast (there is usually a de briefing summary on previous occasions) this does not help disperse any suspicions - regardless of the probable truth. The impression created is that the weather has not been co-operating with their expectations and wishes - however untrue in reality that may be. They have nailed their colours very strongly to the progressive warming agenda and whilst they will keep repeating that individual weather events are just natural ebbs and flows in an ever warming world - jo public at large, and they are aware of this, are not, in general, buying into it. Irrespective of whether it is true or not.

Tamara, you along with others have not a shred of evidence.

The data for each month is published by a department that has nothing to do with that section at Exeter involved with the Hadley Centre. I doubt, other than personal friendships that each has any idea of what the other is about to do, other than reading on a Met O internal magazine over a coffee break.

Come on lighten up.

Those of you old enough to be called adult behave like one.

have a look on Philip Eden's' site maybe he has released his figures, I doubt they will be statistically different from the value which Met release in the fullness of time.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
What a hilarious little thread with some bizarre streams of consciousness saying a lot more about people's inability to be rational rather than the Met Office publishing their figures on time. I haven't laughed so much in pity about a thread on here for at least 24 hours!

have to agree..some people are paranoid to the extreme..maybe the met office are reading this topic and are just making you lot sweat just for some extra laughs.

Tamara, you along with others have not a shred of evidence.

The data for each month is published by a department that has nothing to do with that section at Exeter involved with the Hadley Centre. I doubt, other than personal friendships that each has any idea of what the other is about to do, other than reading on a Met O internal magazine over a coffee break.

Come on lighten up.

Those of you olde enoug to be called adult behave like one.

have a look on Philip Ednes' site maybe he has released his figures, I doubt they will be statistically different from the value which Met release in the fullness of time.

John, I did my best, and obviously failed, to repeatedly suggest that there was very probably no truth behind it. I was attemting to interpret peoples impressions, irresepctive of whether they are right or wrong - and was not trying to defy scientific data. There is a big difference - and internet speak yet again has failed to get across what one is trying to say and get in turn represented properly.

I have no doubt, personally, that the figures published are accurate - but that was not my point.

And I did not suggest anywhere that any figures they publish were false?

I will certainly stick to the point that the METO are facing increasing scepticism from jo public at large whilst the weather is so cold. That is an observation, not meant to be based on factual scientific evidence, but how the simple person in the street is viewing things. And that is a perfectly acceptable statement for me to make IMO - and reflects why 'conspiracy theories' abound. Again I will have to try to cover my back and stress here - irrespective of whether there is foundation or not.

Posted
I will certainly stick to the point that the METO are facing increasing scepticism from jo public at large whilst the weather is so cold. That is an observation, not meant to be based on factual scientific evidence, but how the simple person in the street is viewing things. And that is a perfectly acceptable statement for me to make IMO - and reflects why 'conspiracy theories' abound. Again I will have to try to cover my back and stress here - irrespective of whether there is foundation or not.

Are they? Have you done a survey - used a polling organisation, or is this all in your head?

Are they? Have you done a survey - used a polling organisation, or is this all in your head?

Just to please you, maybe all three - who knows!

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Do the Metoffice really need to delay the December temperature to disguise a cold month in a warming climate, when it's happening around the world regardless of the final figure? The UK is a small area, the majority of the world had a warm December and very warm year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I heard on Talksport, the other morning, one of the hosts asking a Weather Girl from Sky about this cold spell we are having. He put the question to her about globel warming and he thinks it's a load of tosh. I have never seen anyone dodge the question so much, you could have been forgiven for thinking she was working for the goverment.

She Then finished off the answer by of setting this current cold spell by saying we had one of the warmest starts to December for 30YRS

I think thats wrong.

Posted

The problem with so much media attention on GW is that alot of the public will just look at things on their own doorstep. Therefore even though the uk is a tiny part of data that goes towards whether the climate is warming several cold months in a row throw peoples views off. Although of course I doubt there is anything untoward about the delay in releasing the December figure. However one does wonder what will happen to public opinion if we saw the rest of the winter cold and then the following winter also cold! in the great scheme of things these could be construed as a blip in an overall warming trend but equally the problem remains with so much invested in the industry that is now sprouting out of the concerns regarding GW what do they do! Who wants headlines of plummeting temps, coldest month for.... etc when you're trying to flog GW strategies to companies and people!

Edited by nick sussex

The problem with so much media attention on GW is that alot of the public will just look at things on their own doorstep. Therefore even though the uk is a tiny part of data that goes towards whether the climate is warming several cold months in a row throw peoples views off. Although of course I doubt there is anything untoward about the delay in releasing the December figure. However one does wonder what will happen to public opinion if we saw the rest of the winter cold and then the following winter also cold! in the great scheme of things these could be construed as a blip in an overall warming trend but equally the problem remains with so much invested in the industry that is now sprouting out of the concerns reagrding GW what do they do! Who wants headlines of plummeting temps, coldest month for.... etc when you're trying to flog GW strategies to companies and people!

nick

To try and stand up for myself, that is basically what I have said and have been derided for saying.

I guess you have expressed it better than I did - for my sins! :yahoo:

Posted
John, I did my best, and obviously failed, to repeatedly suggest that there was very probably no truth behind it. I was attemting to interpret peoples impressions, irresepctive of whether they are right or wrong - and was not trying to defy scientific data. There is a big difference - and internet speak yet again has failed to get across what one is trying to say and get in turn represented properly.

I have no doubt, personally, that the figures published are accurate - but that was not my point.

And I did not suggest anywhere that any figures they publish were false?

Indeed, it helps if one actually reads what the post says, rather than jumping to conclusions on what one 'thinks' it says. Tamara is exactly right, most people I talk to don't buy it, certainly not man made GW anyway, and believe that it is simply part of natures cycle - just to be clear, not dismissing anything, this is just what the general consensus of opinion seems to be.

Edited by ribster