Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

December CET

Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

When did they announce the 2008 figures? A minute past midnight on New Year's Day because it didn't upset the Global Warming apple cart? But seriously it shouldn't really be taking this long surely!

Posted

Maybe because of the economic downturn/credit crunch MO HQ is deserted due to everyone being sacked? :rolleyes: But seriously it shouldnt be taking this long!

Edited by Albion Snowman

Posted

Well it is taking a while insn't it?

However, I heard someone called John Hammond (not the forecaster John Hammond) on the Radio 4 PM programme last night who said that 2008 was still a "warm year" and it was about half a degree higher than average.

So they must have reached some conclusion and I expect the final December figure will come out in the next day or so - and will be in the region 3.6c to 3.8c - probably at the lower end of that range.

For example 3.6c for December gives an Annual CET of 9.96c - and this is 0.51c above the 1961-1990 CET, which Hadley use.

I'll leave any conspiracy theories alone (for the time being!)

MM

Posted
So, yes, the MO forecast a below average December. However, they also forecast a near or above average winter.

Now they have forecast a winter that will be below average. They have changed their forecast from above average to below average.

YES, but by the end of winter, they will have changed their forecast accordingly, they WILL be spot on! The MetOffice are brilliant! Great value of return for taxpayers money! :cold:

Posted

In my City (Villalba 61.000 inhabitants 880/945masl, NW of Madrid) December of 2008:

Average Minimun : 0,1º, (0,8º)

Average Maximun: 7,7º, (8º)

Average temperature: 3,9º (4,4º)

Min: -9,3º

Max: 14,1º

Frost days (-0º): 18 (average 18 days)

Snow Days: 8 (average 3 days)

Snow 1cm+: 6 (Average 1,8 days)

Edited by MeteoMadrid

Posted
When did they announce the 2008 figures? A minute past midnight on New Year's Day because it didn't upset the Global Warming apple cart? But seriously it shouldn't really be taking this long surely!

They're not going to rush about just because we're waiting for the results to be tallied by Jackone. Nothing to do with Global Warming, as much as polar ice caps melting has nothing to do with sea level rise. 

Posted
In my City (Villalba 61.000 inhabitants 880/945masl, NW of Madrid) December of 2008:

Average Minimun : 0,1º, (0,8º)

Average Maximun: 7,7º, (8º)

Average temperature: 3,9º (4,4º)

Min: -9,3º

Max: 14,1º

Snow Days: 8 (average 3 days)

Snow 1cm+: 6 (Average 1,8 days)

Hi

How does this compare with long term averages?

Posted
Well it is taking a while insn't it?

However, I heard someone called John Hammond (not the forecaster John Hammond) on the Radio 4 PM programme last night who said that 2008 was still a "warm year" and it was about half a degree higher than average.

So they must have reached some conclusion and I expect the final December figure will come out in the next day or so - and will be in the region 3.6c to 3.8c - probably at the lower end of that range.

For example 3.6c for December gives an Annual CET of 9.96c - and this is 0.51c above the 1961-1990 CET, which Hadley use.

I'll leave any conspiracy theories alone (for the time being!)

MM

Yes, But interestingly they're quoting 71 - 00 for other stats

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

CET Met Office Scores are in ( finally ) ................

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ser...tics/ewtemp.txt

December CET - 3.5c

2008 Annual CET - 9.75c

Coldest December and year in total since 2001 :blush:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Apologies if in wrong thread but thought it is worth the mention anyway .............

CET Met Office figures for 2008 now posted ( finally ) ................

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ser...tics/ewtemp.txt

December CET - 3.5c

2008 Annual CET - 9.75c

Coldest December and year in total since 2001 :o

Posted

Metoffice review for December;

"Maximum temperatures were generally below average and around 1 deg C below average across parts of southern England.

Provisionally, it was the coldest December since 1996 for England and Wales for maximum temperatures. Minimum temperatures were well below normal across almost all of the UK, by as much as 2 deg C in some western areas.

Provisionally, it was the coldest December since 1995 for Northern Ireland, 1999 for Scotland and 2001 for England and Wales."

Posted

How can they release England and Wales data and withold England figures? Presumably the CET stations in England are used for the England contribution to that dataset.

Now, is this green bar the first sighting of the 2008 Hadley CET? It looks to be a smidgen over +0.51.

cetbo1.jpg

December 2008 still not official yet.

Posted

That green bar has been there for ages - I couldn't say if it has changed much tho'.

If you look in the CET dataset ( http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cet_mean_2008 ) they are still working on the ave values for a few days in December (18th-23rd). Until they decide what the averages are for them, they won't be able to decide on the Dec (and so annual) CET value. There was a post a few days ago showing the adjustments made for the other days of Dec. I wonder why they are having such trouble with these few days.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
That green bar has been there for ages - I couldn't say if it has changed much tho'.

If you look in the CET dataset ( http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cet_mean_2008 ) they are still working on the ave values for a few days in December (18th-23rd). Until they decide what the averages are for them, they won't be able to decide on the Dec (and so annual) CET value. There was a post a few days ago showing the adjustments made for the other days of Dec. I wonder why they are having such trouble with these few days.

Conspiracy theory the temps are two low they can't have that. No I'm being serious just in case anyone wonders.

Posted

I'm not sure they can fabricate results. What I suspect they are doing is waiting for a break in the freeze to release the results, and then accompany their press release with the headline "All aboard the warming train: 2008 steams in 0.5 degrees above average".

If they released the figures now, because the public's attention span is shorter than that of a goldfish, the Daily Express will scream across the entire front page, with a topical snow scene in the background

9.75°C

Global warming rolled back a decade as Met Office data shows 2008 -0.75°C colder than last five years and coldest since 1996.

That's not what the Met Office wants to happen. So they are just waiting a few more days for mild weather before they release the results that they already know. Or perhaps the Met O want to do a 'Jo Moore' of 9/11 infamy and find a "great news day to bury the bad news".

Edited by AtlanticFlamethrower

Posted
9.75°C

Global warming rolled back a decade as Met Office says 2008 coldest since 1996.

That's not what the Met Office wants to happen. So they are just waiting a few more days before they release the results that they already know.

1996!? It definitely won't be colder than 2001.

Posted

Ah the good old Climate Change Industry.

Can anybody tell me why they still use the 61-90 averages for the annual CET comparison? They should use the 71-00 averages. They are the most relevant averages to use. End of.

Whilst the world has certainly warmed the Climate Change Industry propaganda does my head in.

Posted

Has concern for accuracy stopped the Daily Express in the past :o

Now, someone explain this then if the Met Office doesn't know the data for England yet.

Region Mean temp

England 3.5 -0.8

If 3.5C is the final average, as I suspect it is, that means I was +0.7C out December.

Edited by AtlanticFlamethrower

Posted

From that link, 'These initial averages' implies these are not 'final' numbers, to me.

Plus it's not only (if they are here at all) the CET stations used here but some of a series of 'about 180 observing sites available on 1 January 2009'.

Probably the same data used in calculating these numbers for the various regions:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2008/december.html

Posted

December 2001 Cet was 3.6c

So looks like 3.5c, the coldest for 12 years.

We are really on a cooling trend this year. :o

Posted
December 2001 Cet was 3.6c

So looks like 3.5c, the coldest for 12 years.

We are really on a cooling trend this year. :o

I meant the year, not the month - though it is quite possibly the second coldest recorded CET for a month this millennium. :o

Posted
http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cetdl1772on.dat

The daily data seems to have updated with the 31st coming in at a chilly -2.5C, but data from the 18th-23rd is missing. This was a mild spell so perhaps it could be upped a touch :)

Taking another look at this data and cross-referencing it with the updates on this thread, the first week's cold has definitely been upgraded to the tune of 0.4C or so. A downward correction is very likely :)

However it could be time for putting the Christmas decorations up again before we know <_<

Edited by Duncan McAlister