Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Satsigs

Posted
This has to be the best ramp ever:

That deserves a Rampty nomination at the forthcoming Annual Ramp Award Ceremony. Apols Nick :D:D

Heeeeeey, now THERE is an idea! Top Marks Shugmaster! Now we need some categories...

Obviously "Best Ramp" should be there, but it feels a tad bland. Maybe 'most restrained ramp in the face of an impending easterly"? Perhaps "most strident call for a no-therly"? "Best transmission of Abingdons"? And the 'Kentimetre award for rampant and preposterous claims for snowfall'?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
Heeeeeey, now THERE is an idea! Top Marks Shugmaster! Now we need some categories...

Obviously "Best Ramp" should be there, but it feels a tad bland. Maybe 'most restrained ramp in the face of an impending easterly"? Perhaps "most strident call for a no-therly"? "Best transmission of Abingdons"? And the 'Kentimetre award for rampant and preposterous claims for snowfall'?

The whole idea of having netweather awards at the end of winter is one that really would amuse me! I think making award categories would be just as amusing as giving out the awards, as one may know who would receive the awards even before the nominations. I can think of a few already but best kept to myself!

c

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
Some wild and uncontrollable ramping tonight from, I regret to say, south west London: a friend of a mate who grits roads has, apparently, forecast falls of 6-12".

Six inches was last achieved in this area in February 1991 (8" in fact); I doubt that 12" of level snow (excluding perhaps the fringes of the North Downs) has occurred in south west London since perhaps 1962/3.

Your friend-of-a-mate got it pretty spot on, Andrew. I made 8" (and 10" in'91), and I suspect Raynes Park (about four miles further out & SW) may have managed 9". There was certainly talk of 12" on/near the Downs, though the highest official figure I heard was 11".

It's been a sad and humiliating couple of days for us anti-rampers.

Ossie

PS Can we get your friend-of-a-mate to join the forum? We could do with that sort of inside info (or lucky guessing) on here.

Edited by osmposm

Posted
Your friend-of-a-mate got it pretty spot on, Andrew. I made 8" (and 10" in'91), and I suspect Raynes Park (about four miles further out & SW) may have managed 9". There was certainly talk of 12" on/near the Downs, though the highest official figure I heard was 11".

It's been a sad and humiliating couple of days for us anti-rampers.

Ossie

PS Can we get your friend-of-a-mate to join the forum? We could do with that sort of inside info (or lucky guessing) on here.

Mmm, Raynes Parks of honesty doesn't really scan.

Posted
Mmm, Raynes Parks of honesty doesn't really scan.

Ossie/SF:

Well I was indeed badly wrong as I had 8" (or to be more careful I recorded 8"). I can believe that locally there may have been up to 12" but 19" for Raynes Park sounds ridiculous.

Still, I experienced about 4 'Brixtons' of pleasant surprise.

Kind regards

A

Posted

RAMP ALERT

SATSIGS RAMP Level 4

You had to see the lights flashing, hear the bells, whistles and claxons whooping to believe it this evening. Epicentre MIGHT be SW France somewhere. We knew it was a biggy coming in because the eyes on our portrait of Eye in the Sky (really, we have him immortalised on the wall at HQ, along with one or two other people) were flashing alerting is to an incoming from SATSIGS-8 somewhere up at the level of Tropospheric warming, high above Hastings...

...anyway, watch out for a State of Emergency. It didn't happen during the petrol strike, or the miners' strike. It didn't happen when "Roy of the Rovers" went out of publication. It didn't happen when Renee and Renata got to number one. It didn't even happen when Abdul's corner shop ran out of Lion midget gems the other week, but you herd it in the model thread first...

there might even be a State of Emergency.

Anyone would think there was some loose talk about potential awards - this being the awards season.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Do you think we may reach ramp level 5 SF?

Btw a YETI is not equivalent to a kentimetre; the two are rather different. A YETI is a rather healthy estimate before correct verification and associated ABINGDONs; a kentimetre is a rather healthy measure disguised as correct verification. At least, that is what I am led to believe.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

1/2/09 - No:post-992-1233705099_thumb.png

2/2/09 - No:post-992-1233705191_thumb.png

and 3/2/09 - No:post-992-1233705207_thumb.png

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
Ossie/SF:

Well I was indeed badly wrong as I had 8" (or to be more careful I recorded 8"). I can believe that locally there may have been up to 12" but 19" for Raynes Park sounds ridiculous.

Still, I experienced about 4 'Brixtons' of pleasant surprise.

Kind regards

A

NineTEEN inches?????? I said nine, you blind Effran fool.

Ossie (also showing at least 4 Brixtons. If it ever reaches 5 can we call it a Putney?)

Edited by osmposm

Posted
Your friend-of-a-mate got it pretty spot on

Have to report from St Albans that the ladies on the bus (fur lined boots from the back pages of People's Friend division, South West Hertfordshire) are reporting a high likelihood of us 'getting another hammering' tonight. Sliced white and Rich Tea fingers are being hoarded even as we speak and a full day of Midsomer Murders repeats on ITV3 is being assumed.

And as for 19 inches....boys, eh? :)

Edited by Roo

Posted

A SATSIGS classic.

This is my back garden:

post-5260-1233832539_thumb.jpg

Posted
1/2/09 - No:post-992-1233705099_thumb.png

2/2/09 - No:post-992-1233705191_thumb.png

and 3/2/09 - No:post-992-1233705207_thumb.png

and 5/2/09 - 5 Brixtons:post-992-1233837463_thumb.png post-992-1233837972_thumb.png post-992-1233837832_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a metre of lying snow
RAMP ALERT

SATSIGS RAMP Level 4

You had to see the lights flashing, hear the bells, whistles and claxons whooping to believe it this evening. Epicentre MIGHT be SW France somewhere. We knew it was a biggy coming in because the eyes on our portrait of Eye in the Sky (really, we have him immortalised on the wall at HQ, along with one or two other people) were flashing alerting is to an incoming from SATSIGS-8 somewhere up at the level of Tropospheric warming, high above Hastings...

Well, the "no" generator failed over Hastings/St Leonards this week and left a white residue on the streets. There was enough to stop the taxis going up the steepest hills but completely washed away now with the overnight rain.

BTW the heating systrem has kicked in now, to bolster the the "no" field generator.

Posted

Several abingdons of disappointment here (is that unit really applicable now?) after the frontal band decided to turn to rain as it moved north into the colder air (how on earth is it possible!). Areas to the south got snow, we got more NO.

Several abingdons of disappointment here (is that unit really applicable now?) after the frontal band decided to turn to rain as it moved north into the colder air (how on earth is it possible!). Areas to the south got snow, we got more NO.

Maybe they should be Hulls of disappointment now?

Posted
Maybe they should be Hulls of disappointment now?

Nah, they are "reefs".

Posted

Had this little ditty emailed to me today from a pal - it must be doing the rounds:

post-1217-1234184678_thumb.jpg

Funny in itself, but the added amusement of mistaking cms as inches is to behold :)

Posted

It didn't escape my attention that last week there were many Brixtons felt in Abingdon. This notion made me feel rather uncomfortable. It's like saying that there are several inches in a centimetre. Perhaps consideration could be given to revising the nomenclature?

Anyway, here is a new definition for the dictionary:

Snow Job: What a gentleman who is snow starved may be tempted to buy. Usually about £25 for a quickie. Consists of trawling the streets of less salubrious areas (such as Portsmouth or Carlisle) for purveyors of this particular act. The act itself consists of being taken to a darkened room which contains illegal snow imported from Russia. The gentleman can then entertain himself however he wants in said snow. Going all the way is about £40 and allows the chap ample time to build a snowman and/or get frost-bite. Gloves are recommended for "Safe Snow" to avoid the possibility of contracting a STD (Snow Transmitted Disease).

As an aside, the snow smuggling rings that operate throughout Eastern Europe are thought to be operating under the control of a militant faction headquartered in the Peterborough region.

Posted
As an aside, the snow smuggling rings that operate throughout Eastern Europe are thought to be operating under the control of a militant faction headquartered in the Peterborough region.

Rumour has it that deliveries are deposited on a certain stretch of the Kent coastline.

Posted
Had this little ditty emailed to me today from a pal - it must be doing the rounds:

post-1217-1234184678_thumb.jpg

Funny in itself, but the added amusement of mistaking cms as inches is to behold :)

Shuggs, I suddenly understand the rudimentary miostake that a few on here have been making these past few years.

Mind you, the easy-to-make-if-you're-a-pilot-doing-it-every-day-for-a-lot-of-money-and-with-a-couple-more-crew-up-there-with-you-in-case-you-louse-up imperial - metric error once caused a major air emergency in Canada.

Posted
Shuggs, I suddenly understand the rudimentary miostake that a few on here have been making these past few years.

Mind you, the easy-to-make-if-you're-a-pilot-doing-it-every-day-for-a-lot-of-money-and-with-a-couple-more-crew-up-there-with-you-in-case-you-louse-up imperial - metric error once caused a major air emergency in Canada.

Stratos I have to take issue with some of the SATSIGS measurements. You may have noticed at HQ recently that some posters are giving two snow depths; the first in centimetres and the second in kentimetres. Now for me, this undermines the kentimetre and is an effort to make us believe the centimetre measurement, even though the centimetre measurement is already in kentimetres.

What then, is the given kentimetre measurement? Are they kentikentimetres? Or kentolometres?

Also, Abingdons can no longer exist because the place of origin has now seen Brixtons. Therefore should we not rename them after the one place left where it never snows in the UK? The Isles of Scilly. Sillies?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Perhaps Sillies is not the best alternative anymore...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cornwall/content/arti...9_feature.shtml

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted
Perhaps Sillies is not the best alternative anymore...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cornwall/content/arti...9_feature.shtml

Wow. It's getting tricky. We can't have Westminsters, Abingdons, Sillies, Wights...

What's it going to be?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Sarks? Or how about Ascensions after Ascension Island? Still one of our bits, apparently, and I cannot imagine it's ever seen a snowflake. Well, not in the recent past.

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted
Sarks? Or how about Ascensions after Ascension Island? Still one of our bits, apparently, and I cannot imagine it's ever seen a snowflake. Well, not in the recent past.

Ah but it's all about disappointment isn't it. To create an Abingdon, you have to be able to expect snow and then for that snow not to arrive.