Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Satsigs

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

nozzards, anyone?

Posted
nozzards, anyone?

Yes, yes, yes: had lots of those last night. WInd gusting comfortably 8-9, with some of the heaviest no I've had for a while. The upside is that I can still get off the moor through the nodrifts, and Yeti needn't worry too much about his third-party only insurance.

Posted
Well it's all gone quiet on the SATSIGS front despite some of the most prolific ramping for quite a while, albeit chiefly emanating from Downpatrick in County Down. SATSIGS EIRE really needs to be on to this one. We also have more minor ramps from the usual areas of Kent, Ipswich and Hertfordshire. A sharp ramp gradient emerged from Cork recently, but this has now died down as quickly as it came.

Thats funnyI was just thinking the same about the yorkies.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
Yes, yes, yes: had lots of those last night. WInd gusting comfortably 8-9, with some of the heaviest no I've had for a while. The upside is that I can still get off the moor through the nodrifts, and Yeti needn't worry too much about his third-party only insurance.

:whistling: :lol: Classic!

It seems SATSIGS has to monitor a couple of new phenomena arising from the CZ.

Firstly, the WSSI - Worcestershire Snow Shield Inversion. This is being observed currently in parts of Worcestershire, where showers falling as NO 3 miles to the W suddenly enter the MZSWT, fall as snow (nozzards), before the shower dissipates, leaving an area of low cloud.

Secondly the Cardiff rule - NO turns to snow 10m higher up the road.

Posted

Ramp levels rising. Hertfordshire suggesting the -17 isotherm will reach the UK in February.

Posted
Secondly the Cardiff rule - NO turns to snow 10m higher up the road.

Is Cardiff the new Telford?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

Could we have an updated Ramp Status please, especially in view of the fact that over 200 users were spotted on the model discussion thread on a non holiday Monday morning. Is something afoot? I think we should be told...

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

BRING IT ON

Posted

There is now talk of stocking up on food, shovels coming out, big month-long freeze (this just being the beginning of course).

Are SATSIGS aware or are they taking an untimely holiday?

Posted
There is now talk of stocking up on food, shovels coming out, big month-long freeze (this just being the beginning of course).

Are SATSIGS aware or are they taking an untimely holiday?

SATSIGS are always aware, but there is a need to remember the acronym which is our moniker. When there's a legitimate claim for potential snow then there's no need to sod the science.

Posted

There is still potential for no as well.

Posted

RAMP ALERT RAMP ALERT

Snow still showing for sunday

Posted
ENSEMBLES SAY NO

Welcome to SATSIGS.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted

Some wild and uncontrollable ramping tonight from, I regret to say, south west London: a friend of a mate who grits roads has, apparently, forecast falls of 6-12".

Six inches was last achieved in this area in February 1991 (8" in fact); I doubt that 12" of level snow (excluding perhaps the fringes of the North Downs) has occurred in south west London since perhaps 1962/3.

Ramp level 4 and goodness knows how many potential Abingdons. We should be on our guard against a high risk of Telfordian 'misoverstimating' of snow depths. Vigilance!

regards

ACB

Posted
Some wild and uncontrollable ramping tonight from, I regret to say, south west London: a friend of a mate who grits roads has, apparently, forecast falls of 6-12".

Six inches was last achieved in this area in February 1991 (8" in fact); I doubt that 12" of level snow (excluding perhaps the fringes of the North Downs) has occurred in south west London since perhaps 1962/3.

Ramp level 4 and goodness knows how many potential Abingdons. We should be on our guard against a high risk of Telfordian 'misoverstimating' of snow depths. Vigilance!

regards

ACB

Very tough call at the moment Andrew, and I'm b*ggered if I'm going through all the threads looking for rampant claims. I have posted on the NE thread (once I'd ascertained exactly WHICH thread I should post on) that the BBC might have been indulging in a tad of ramping calling for 40cm on higher ground. Widespread cover looks likely, but how much, and whether it turns back to rain (come Tuesday), are in the balance. Might be a few Abingdons towards the SW.

Posted
Very tough call at the moment Andrew, and I'm b*ggered if I'm going through all the threads looking for rampant claims. I have posted on the NE thread (once I'd ascertained exactly WHICH thread I should post on) that the BBC might have been indulging in a tad of ramping calling for 40cm on higher ground. Widespread cover looks likely, but how much, and whether it turns back to rain (come Tuesday), are in the balance. Might be a few Abingdons towards the SW.

Well with 8cm plus here rather fewer Abingdons than I thought earlier. I still maintain that snow depths of 12" in Raynes Park is way off beam...

regards

ACB

Posted
Well with 8cm plus here rather fewer Abingdons than I thought earlier. I still maintain that snow depths of 12" in Raynes Park is way off beam...

regards

ACB

It'll be kentimetres Andrew, a mistake we've all made. Well, a mistake that Yeti, Conor, our friends in SW Glasgow...

SATSIGS STANDARD UNITS UPDATE

In addition to Abingdons of disappointment; Ludlows of sleetiness; Kentimetres of mismeasurement; Harrogateboroughs of urbanisation; Peterboroughs of Easterliness; and Dublins of hopelessness; SATSIGS is pleased to announce two new SSUs; the Brixton, and, the Hudson.

Brixtons will be attached to weather events (particularly snow) which exceed expectations, the standard five point scale will apply. Five will be excess sufficient to bring on pant wetting; one is the sort of dribble a girl inadvertently lets out when she laughs suddenly and unexpectedly at a joke.

Hudsons will be attached specifically and solely to forecasts that can be seen retrospectively, or in near real time only, to include Brixtons that are not going to materialise. A random example would be last night's forecasts at 18:33, 18:37 and 18:54 calling for "thirty to forty centimetres" (I think that's what he said, maybe he said Kentimetres) of snow across the Pennines. Hudsons must not be confused with Abingdons, though they may lead to Abingdons, or Kentimetres, though they may also lead to this phenomenon, particularly in Harrogate, Telford, Glasgow, Newark, the bottom end of the northern line...

Posted

This has to be the best ramp ever:

This is looking almost unbelievable in terms of snow, this actually could get worrying for some locations! I made a joke the other day about a state of emergency being called and this is not exaggerating this run would give a location that stays on the cold side of the low and close to the heavier precip some almost record breaking totals.

That deserves a Rampty nomination at the forthcoming Annual Ramp Award Ceremony. Apols Nick :wacko: :D

Posted

We've been suffering from lizzards on and off all day here in Reading. Lizzards are a reptilian form of snow which change to no as soon as they touch ground. They have the effect of making office workers commenting on it 'being like the Arctic' and disappointing kids (and adults) with their high total of no deposits.