Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: North West England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Correct me if i am wrong but is the 18z a upgrade for Northern Enland for thurs/fri?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
Correct me if i am wrong but is the 18z a upgrade for Northern Enland for thurs/fri?

If the 18z verifies then it certainly looks like we could just clip something in the NW, but it's still uncertain and 18z isn't called the pub run for nothing, but you never know.

Posted

Good Old Rob M

Thurs Night Boarderline,However Fri There seem to be a nice blob of White over NW England.

His final words though and very sensible Quote This is not a forecast just a general idea

of what is likely to happen,with the :D at end of the forecast.My favourate forecaster by a

Country Mile LoL

Posted

As it stands at the moment (and I stress at the moment) only the south and extreme east of the region look like they might get in on the act from this next event.

Posted
As it stands at the moment (and I stress at the moment) only the south and extreme east of the region look like they might get in on the act from this next event.

I think it looks Boarderline even for me in South Cheshire LoL

Posted
I think it looks Boarderline even for me in South Cheshire LoL

Better than earlier though, certainly further North. Think you may be a bit too low there though, you might have to catch the bus up to Keele :p

Posted

I was thinking the same. Any chances of significant snowfall for the majority of us in the north-west look pretty slim now imo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Even though they will change I found these fax charts interesting.

Posted

Ive shifted that much snow today, Ive got blisters on my hands, so in a way I don't mind if it misses us, I dont want to be back to square one again!!! :):)

Edited by Storm Animal

Posted

mmm at a push possibly. Personally I'd expect things to track further south. Certainly no evidence as far as I can see of things really affecting the whole of the region, so again it will be a case of some see it some don't in my view.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

I thinks its pointless mentioning regions as a whole because were all well aware it doesnt matter where you live in this country, it can still be hit or miss so to speak.

We had very very light snow showers through out the night here in oldham and i must admit the cloud looks thick and orangy atm so Im gonna go have a peak at the ppn charts now to see if theres been any changes since yesterdays :) .

Edit:

Yep already i can see that band of ppn tomorrow has already been shifted more north on this mornings GFS compaired to yesterday and actually even Thrus/fridays ppn is look far better for the northwest.

I really do think theres a good chance of decent snow showers for the north west from thursday afternoon into friday and things could still change again by that time tomorrow.

Overall Im in a possative mood about our prospects for the next couple of days.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

As I mentioned earlier there appears to be a trend now that milder air will quite easily win over any cold air so even if we do get ppn it is more likely to fall as sleet or rain than snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

im gonna stick my neck out here and say i disagree with you. looked at the GFS charts HPA 800, 500, thickness and dewpoints etc and they do support snow, especially on higher ground. Maybe im wrong but I guess we'll soon find out, as you rightly say it depends if we get the precipitation, which is looking better than it did yesterday and wouldnt surprise me if things look better on the charts later today / tomorrow morning.

Posted

The Netweather precipitation charts (to be honest, not normally very trustworthy) do appear to be stating that the precipitation will reach us now but will not be of snow. A surprise to me as it is very rare to have snow on the ground for a week for rain to wash it away, normally we have some more to take it away!

Posted
mmm at a push possibly. Personally I'd expect things to track further south. Certainly no evidence as far as I can see of things really affecting the whole of the region, so again it will be a case of some see it some don't in my view.

Hot*Snow it must be rather rare for it to affect the whole of the region anyway - it's a big region! And those with height in their favour will always win over the rest of us. Lets just be grateful for what we've got and if you didn't get, it's not a weather vendetta against you, it's just bad luck and hopefully it'll all change next time around.

We still have some snow on the ground here, but very patchy and mostly on the grass. Haven't done a temp check yet but the car certainly wasn't iced up this morning.

Posted

I recommend to look at what the airport TAFs are saying for possibilities

The Manchester Aiport TAF does suggest the possibility of snow.

long-TAF: EGCC 040457Z 0406/0512 12008KT 7000 BKN010 TEMPO 0406/0411 4000 BR BKN007 BECMG 0410/0413 9999 FEW020 BECMG 0420/0423 6000 PROB40 TEMPO 0423/0508 3000 BR BECMG 0508/0511 6000 -SN BKN012 TEMPO 0510/0512 2000 SN BKN004

Posted
Hot*Snow it must be rather rare for it to affect the whole of the region anyway - it's a big region! And those with height in their favour will always win over the rest of us. Lets just be grateful for what we've got and if you didn't get, it's not a weather vendetta against you, it's just bad luck and hopefully it'll all change next time around.

We still have some snow on the ground here, but very patchy and mostly on the grass. Haven't done a temp check yet but the car certainly wasn't iced up this morning.

Around half the GFS 00z runs push the band of precipitation further North still perhaps to effect larger parts of the NW.

Manchester ensembles

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Manchester_ens.png

Further North/ Lancaster ish

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_-354_ens.png

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Tucco

Around half the GFS 00z runs push the band of precipitation further North still perhaps to effect larger parts of the NW.

Manchester ensembles

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Manchester_ens.png

Further North/ Lancaster ish

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_-354_ens.png

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

VERY borderline thoug with 850's above the magix -5 line.I expect this whole thing to get downgraded as we head through the day it might actually end up melting my snow away yet.

Posted
NW front page says it may reach northern england. :D

BBC web site has it reaching northern england... but slinking down the east of the pennines as per usual :D

Probably not that accurate though, they said that on monday too

Edited by trickydicky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

At the moment I cant imagine it'll reach as north as say Yr Hob or Yr Caergwle in Wales, but further east it will most likely make it into Manchester City territory, so another pivot job, only eastwards this time I feel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
Im i in the right thread, there is the North West area, or Northern england area lmao.

Just watching bbc forecast and it has the front dieing over Scotland, and the one moving up from the South dies to. :D

hi, i have been away, when is this due to happen?ps the snow here is still nice and thick lol, dont want it to melt away just yet!!