Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: North West England

Posted

Could somebody please expand on the snow potential for the north west this weekend/sunday?

Cheers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
Dont think i am likely to see anything tonight tomorrow and into the weekend :)

it is strange really, one would assume cumbria was a snowy place, but since ive been here it seems you dont get overly much of the wintry stuff!!

Posted
reports from down south suggest the band is not heading NW,more NNE!!

Lets hope this changes soon as we will get absolutely zip here if that continues.

well its nice and cold here dew point -3c and windchill -3 whats the upper air temps for the region like anyone know?

Posted

C'mon guys seriously. Tonights event is most probably a write off. The weekends event will probably end up a write off very soon. Any future events will end up a write off. I am sick and tired of anti-climax, followed by anti-climax. False hope, wishful thinking and totally unrealistic optimism.

Last weekend we all though wed/thurs would be our time. But once again we are going to miss out.

Now we are talking about potential for the weekend. There will be downgrades and we will miss out.

Yes we all know that the south of the region and higher ground have had plenty of snow - but the majority of us here in the north-west have missed out again. I am really starting to get sick and tired of the whole game now - it just is'nt fun any more. To be frank it depressing. Another winter passing by without any more than a dusting to write home about is absolutely pathetic.

Posted
C'mon guys seriously. Tonights event is most probably a write off. The weekends event will probably end up a write off very soon. Any future events will end up a write off. I am sick and tired of anti-climax, followed by anti-climax. False hope, wishful thinking and totally unrealistic optimism.

Last weekend we all though wed/thurs would be our time. But once again we are going to miss out.

Now we are talking about potential for the weekend. There will be downgrades and we will miss out.

Yes we all know that the south of the region and higher ground have had plenty of snow - but the majority of us here in the north-west have missed out again. I am really starting to get sick and tired of the whole game now - it just is'nt fun any more. To be frank it depressing. Another winter passing by without any more than a dusting to write home about is absolutely pathetic.

i am with you on that, i think we will likely miss out and at the weekend i am not a fan of the gfs for the northwest..but even they are saying snow chance about 80% and on higher ground only

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I suppose if you dont like the game, you dont have to contribute to the regional snow threads if it upsets you that much. I mean dont get wound up about it because there's no point, it's just weather. If at the end of the day we get snow then thats a bonus. This winter so far has been as cold as the last 15 at the end of the day!

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Temp dropping off nicely under the clear skies.

Just wait and see - you never know - no need to be miserable though - nothing to complain about this year compared to recent years!

Posted
i am with you on that, i think we will likely miss out and at the weekend i am not a fan of the gfs for the northwest..but even they are saying snow chance about 80% and on higher ground only

And with the Stratospheric Warming Event progged to take place according to charts and ensembles, its set to get a hell of a lot colder still. Sure we've not seen 1ft of snow and massive disruption across the Northwest, but at least we've seen snow into 2009 already and with 10 more days (maybe more) of cooling to come, its not over by a long shot. were just 1/4 the way through it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

.....I obviously am not aware of your physical attributes but if you are able to go to say - Ambleside and pop some boots on you have all the snow you can wish for at the moment - I dont know if you can drive but if you make the effort go to the Kirkstone Pass (one of the easiest passes even in winter) park up at the Kirkstone Inn get the sledge out and enjoy the white stuff - done it dozens of times - we have the Pennines against us from easterlies and coastal location which is too much of a disadvantage - decent snow in Lancs is like rocking horse s* i t - you have to travel and make an effort :D

Posted

Just drive over the pennines and boom your in narnia (or Leeds known to every1 else)

Posted

Well blow me down it's snowing!! Light dusting on everything but judging by the radar we won't get that much so heading off to the parents in Manchester as planned as it looks like they're getting more than we are!

Hope you all see a nice covering this morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

woohoo just started snowing here in Oldham too looks like its getting fairly heavy but fine flakes if you know what I mean. I hate to sound big headed I really do but the charts a few days ago looked as thought the ppn would miss us but i knew they would change for the better. One thing I was 100% sure about is the fact that conditions would always remain right for snow and not rain. The only thing that remains is how long this snow event lasts and how far north in our region it gets to make more of us on here happy :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Good Morning

From a snowy Northwich Snowing nicely ATM Not very big flakes at all

Infact thw Flakes are quite small but its snowing quite moderaltly now

(it that makes sense LoL) :cold:

woohoo just started snowing here in Oldham too looks like its getting fairly heavy but fine flakes if you know what I mean. I hate to sound big headed I really do but the charts a few days ago looked as thought the ppn would miss us but i knew they would change for the better. One thing I was 100% sure about is the fact that conditions would always remain right for snow and not rain. The only thing that remains is how long this snow event lasts and how far north in our region it gets to make more of us on here happy :good:

The news from the Midlands is that this front is going to Grind to a halt

perhaps snow lasting all day and into the evening in some parts.I wonder will that

Effect us LoL :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!
Good Morning

From a snowy Northwich Snowing nicely ATM Not very big flakes at all

Infact thw Flakes are quite small but its snowing quite moderaltly now

(it that makes sense LoL) :cold:

The news from the Midlands is that this front is going to Grind to a halt

perhaps snow lasting all day and into the evening in some parts.I wonder will that

Effect us LoL :cold:

Was looking at the meto and meteox ppn radar and to me it did appear to show the front slowing down. I think the further inland (eg towards the pennines) you are, the more likely this could be prolonged through the day and I should think coastal areas such as liverpool should see something in the way of a snow showers anytime now too.

Personally its not a problem if its not heavy aslong as its persistant.

PS macclesfield is defonatly a nice spot for prolonged snow :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
Was looking at the meto and meteox ppn radar and to me it did appear to show the front slowing down. I think the further inland (eg towards the pennines) you are, the more likely this could be prolonged through the day and I should think coastal areas such as liverpool should see something in the way of a snow showers anytime now too.

Personally its not a problem if its not heavy aslong as its persistant.

PS macclesfield is defonatly a nice spot for prolonged snow :)

Totaly agree LoL Along as its Snow i dont care.Do you think it will stay as Snow or will

turn into a wintry mix.just heard reports on the local radio it couldt turn to rain mid Morning :D

Posted

UPDATE

A system of moderate ppn has reached parts of the region wich will rapidly clear away during the morning, however the main intensity of the band will not really affect many places as the system affects the midlands taking a north easterly trak. Some areas may get a dusting, whilst high ground and pennine districts will inevitably get more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

About 1cm so far, should remain as snow for a while as it's quite cold -1.3°C

Posted

Once again everywhere south and east of us report several cm's while we get the dregs of another band of ppn giving a bit of a dusting. - but can't complain because weve seen some snow.

Posted
About 1cm so far, should remain as snow for a while as it's quite cold -1.3°C

morning james, i can't believe how much we got (and are getting). The gritters only just managed to get up our lane last night. Virtually no thaw and now more on top.

Posted
Totaly agree LoL Along as its Snow i dont care.Do you think it will stay as Snow or will

turn into a wintry mix.just heard reports on the local radio it couldt turn to rain mid Morning :wallbash:

As you know Im not an expert but looking at the GFS charts id be very suprised if inland ppn turns to rain. The T850 temps remain -6 ish until atleast the early hours of monday morning which is one key factor and the surface conditions... dew points etc are supportive of snow. So yeah, those of us who get precip out of this event should see snow not rain. Thats my opinion but im sure some of the other regular chart viewers in this region will post there thoughts when they come online.

How long will this snowfall last ? i just dont know atm lol.