Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: North West England

Posted
Is that around 18.00, if so i will have finished work and may be able to watch it develop.

Am i in the right thread for Cumbria, because people seem to be chatting South of me lol.

Course your in the right place mate - Carlisle is in the north west of England after all (even though you get north east news!)

As somebody earlier mentioned we live in a large diverse region, with people from Cheshire up to Cumbria - hence the reason why we have so many variances in the snow reports.

Everyones contributions are welcome in this thread no matter where you are from.

Hot*Snow

Posted

At the moment there is currently 2 areas of snow across the UK, one towards the South and one currently sitting across Scotland. Over-night a band of snow moved up from the South falling as rain on its back-edge due to milder weather, but as the system moved slightly North and moved into the cold air snow began to fall. The snow is now currently sitting across some parts of Wales/Central England/Eastern parts of England. The snow is likely to be heavy for a time in these place, giving coverings of 2-5CM to lower ground and as much as 30cm over higher parts.(SEE WEATHER WARNINGS)

The snow will slowly push North-Eastwards and begin to die away, leaving the risk of icy patches.

There are my thoughts for today.

Edited by Thunder Snow

Posted
At the moment there is currently 2 areas of snow across the UK, one towards the South and one currently sitting across Scotland. Over-night a band of snow moved up from the South falling as rain on its back-edge due to milder weather, but as the system moved slightly North and moved into the cold air snow began to fall. The snow is now currently sitting across some parts of Wales/Central England/Eastern parts of England. The snow is likely to be heavy for a time in these place, giving coverings of 2-5CM to lower ground and as much as 30cm over higher parts.(SEE WEATHER WARNINGS)

The snow will slowly push North-Eastwards and begin to die away, leaving the risk of icy patches.

There are my thoughts for today.

Alot of talk about a band moving south from Scotland tonight - personally I don't think its ppn will have the stregnth to really affect our region - what are your thoughts?

Posted
Everyones contributions are welcome in this thread no matter where you are from.

Hot*Snow

Does that include an '' exiled Boltonian'' :D

Rang my family this morning in the chorley old road area ...they had nowt :)

Good 6 inches here ,and another good pasting to come :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

snow still very lightly falling here, but it's 1.0C with a dewpoint of -0.5C so it's becoming rather borderline

Posted
Alot of talk about a band moving south from Scotland tonight - personally I don't think its ppn will have the stregnth to really affect our region - what are your thoughts?

Hi hot & cold, im watching this band with some intrest at the moment, as it is picking up some intensity. Will it last, i dont know. lol i hope so.

It nearly here.

Edited by Thunder Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
snow still very lightly falling here, but it's 1.0C with a dewpoint of -0.5C so it's becoming rather borderline

Hi stephen, although very marginal i think sunday afternoon /evening could be our best shot of substantial snow, i think you have said it before but we are very much on a par with the south coast for our snow amounts/chances.

Infact i would like to Put preston down as the least snowiest City at this latitude in the world! could anyone top that? I know lancaster is a City but i also Know they have had snow this year.

Fingers crossed for sunday i reckon?

Edited by arron123

Posted
Hi stephen, although very marginal i think sunday afternoon /evening could be our best shot of substantial snow, i think you have said it before but we are very much on a par with the south coast for our snow amounts/chances.

Infact i would like to Put preston down as the least snowiest City at this latitude in the world! could anyone top that? I know lancaster is a City but i also Know they have had snow this year.

Fingers crossed for sunday i reckon?

Don't hold to much hope for Sunday just yet, as the precip looks weak to me, i would of put carlisle down as the least snow city, but after 3 decent falls this winter :rolleyes: .

Is sunday the break-down for the cold weather ??

Edited by Thunder Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
Does that include an '' exiled Boltonian'' :D

Rang my family this morning in the chorley old road area ...they had nowt :D

Good 6 inches here ,and another good pasting to come :D

That makes me feel much better! :rolleyes::D:D :lol: :D

Edited by arron123

Posted

Hi Stephen,

what do you think about the band of precipitation over Wales? It has certainly moved quite a bit north in the last couple of hours and it is giving them the snow that they mostly missed last night. The forecast takes it over the Midlands this afternoon but it seems to have progressed further north.

Karyo

Posted

I know you dont like radio city...but they were right the other day...and they and radio merseyside have just said that we,are going to see some heavy snow this afternoon.....what do you think????

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

I'm going to put my neck on the line and say that the band of snow in wales will in fact reach the Northwest :lol: and then be pushed South.

I reckon Southern half of the area will only get around 1cm from it though.

I've never made a statement like this before so why not give it a try.

Posted

After looking at the latest radar, it seem the front over Scotland is weaking towards the West. However it might just clip me.

Karyo I see where you are coming from, it does seem to be moving more towards the North. However i think it will soon start moving South again.

Edited by Thunder Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Hi Stephen,

what do you think about the band of precipitation over Wales? It has certainly moved quite a bit north in the last couple of hours and it is giving them the snow that they mostly missed last night. The forecast takes it over the Midlands this afternoon but it seems to have progressed further north.

Karyo

Well I'm still getting snow and I feel there's a bridge being bound from the precipitation here and the precipitation around Wales. I think it will continue to move northwards for a few hours, I mean it's only 1pm now. I think were bound to catch a few showery outbreaks of snow/sleet as the day progresses. Indeed most forecasts seem to suggest precipitation of some form will continue into this evening, although on and off.

Posted

Sorry guys, I don't want to sound miserable here but the prospects for any significant snowfall in our part of the country after today are looking marginal/slim at best. :lol:

Posted
I know you dont like radio city...but they were right the other day...and they and radio merseyside have just said that we,are going to see some heavy snow this afternoon.....what do you think????

haha, well you're right they were right, but this time, I just cant see any heavy snow on the forecast charts at least for us. At least on Monday there was a band moving north, but unless I just havent looked properly (I will have alook again) then I dont think it'll happen.

We'll see tomorrow :lol:

Posted
Sorry guys, I don't want to sound miserable here but the prospects for any significant snowfall in our part of the country after today are looking marginal/slim at best. :lol:

I tend to agree with you there hot snow, however i think cumbria may see something from this.

Posted
jeez you are guna make yourself ill at the rate you are going.

Some people have had nothing.stop moaning PLEASE!!! :doh:

I don't agree with that, there is a chance it might hit Cumbria, but it is fizzling. EVERYONE is entitled to there opion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Lmao loulou .. this thread has been freaky today never mind the weather.

I think that band of ppn over wales is weakening now as it moves NE. Probably will fizzle before it gets anywhere near us.

Posted

Its amazing how riled up people get when there is little in the way of snow. The snow that we've this week alone is more than I would have expected in previous winters. Now I'm looking out of the window however and I'm not excited by the fact there is snow falling, because I've become used to it. We all demand something heavier and more extreme each time, like a step up a ladder, and we get disappointed when it doesnt deliver.

Posted

Had a few more cm's of snow here, but life is going on as normal, im glad to say. Main problem is drifting because its really gusty up on the tops. Temp is bang on 0oC at present

Posted
Lmao loulou .. this thread has been freaky today never mind the weather.

I think that band of ppn over wales is weakening now as it moves NE. Probably will fizzle before it gets anywhere near us.

Glad I made you laugh Mr snowmad79.... I still think the sky looks full of it.And I also feel that good old use feeling re-the weather works best...when I was born they never had no fancy gadgets for weather. :doh: