Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Posted
Hi all.

Yes Lady P, I looked out the window 0645, nothing more had fallen. Had brekkie, showered, looked out the window - armageddon!!! :)

Trudged to work in centre of Aberdeen looking like Scott of the Antarctic! :lol:

Snow off now in snow city, but for how long?

And where is the BBC rolling coverage..... :)

They're covering the snow falling in England of course!

Looking at the radar it looks like not much more for the forseeable here. Depends on where the ppt off the coast heads.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

WOW, just in from playing/clearing etc.. can't believe how much fell so quickly

DH got into Aberdeen no problems at 6:30am but had to get to Monymusk - left Aberdeen at 9:30 got there at 10:45 (normally a half hour journey)

He says Tyrebagger closed, North Anderson Drive in Aberdeen blocked by jackknifed lorries, total gridlock in Aberdeen itself, then the outer roads are treacherous. Emergency services can't get through and cars off the road everywhere.

It's a shame when you have to go out in it, but the problem this morning is that the snow hadn't even started until 8am and the rush hour traffic got completely caught out and then the ploughs (grit no use in that kind of snow) couldn't get through

Off back out to the sledge and snowmen :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: COLD AND SNOWY

still snowing in ayr been heavy for last 20 mins and radar looking good for later abnd seems to have stalled temp 1.5*c steady :D

Posted

That lee/Polar low coming down from the north looks interesting!

Local radio mentioned the possibility of more snow tonight and the BBC had snow showers here tomorrow. A wonder if that is why?

A slow thaw is underway here but still snowing very lightly.

Posted

Yes SC, is that LeeLow thingy what's hitting you just now & what's ththoughts about the sting in it's tail if any for overnight and north Scotland?

I thought that this was it for us, but maybe not?

Posted

Very light snow from about 9am till 10am or so here. Just added to the 2mm's or so we already had and maybe gave us 3mm on grass and nowt on roads and pavements :rolleyes: Starting to melt away now too!

Would be good to see a trough push down over the country from the north, that system approaching the north looks very interesting but again how often do we see things like this on the satellite only to find nothing comes from it for the majority?

Really hope im wrong and we get a pasting like the Northeast though :D

Posted

Local radio mentioned the possibility of more snow tonight and the BBC had snow showers here tomorrow. A wonder if that is why?

Yes, been watching it all morning, it's tightening up nicely. Another one formed behind it as well and possibly another one forming just off the coast of Norway.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Hey Ross,

It seems like you can have dissruptive snows to the North & to the South even down in England these days, while us guys here in the East Central Scotland only receive the crumbs now!!! :rolleyes:

This would appear to be the pattern now over the recent dismal winters :lol:

Is that B**** River Forth and the North Sea to our East Coast, as warm as a bath now in the late 2000s ??? :D

Big Innes

Posted

post-2738-1233838878_thumb.jpg

My back garden this morning. I thought there was about 4 or 5 inches.......other half says nearer 6inches of lying snow(having just cleared the drive to get the car out)

post-2738-1233838640_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gilly

Guest Shetland Coastie
Yes SC, is that LeeLow thingy what's hitting you just now & what's ththoughts about the sting in it's tail if any for overnight and north Scotland?

I thought that this was it for us, but maybe not?

Yes I think thats what pepping up the showers at the moment but it seems to be slipping between us and Faroe.

Guest Shetland Coastie

I reckon the lee low should cross the Scottish Coast somewhere between Wick and Thurso. After that it may well fizzle out. Its not a particularly strong thing and once it loses water to feed its showers I cant see it lasting long, however, if it has the legs it could be interesting when that comes up against the mountains!

Of more interest is the band of heavy looking showers up NNE of me which could produce some action overnight, with the winds (currently SSW here) predicted to go NE'ly once the lee low moves away.

Edited by Shetland Coastie

Guest Shetland Coastie
If that's not a polar low (or a maturing one) then I dunno what is!

http://www.sat24.com/

Do you mean the feature up north of me at the moment? On the satpic it looks like a curve of heavy showers but seems to be getting some circulation on it now. :)