Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Posted
Nah, this can't be right, you always seem to get stuff when I don't! I am still dry here.

hehe! I find it so annoying when Hollybush, drongan etc are all white, and thick with snow, and you come down here, and there is nothing!

It is VERY VERY light, but its settling, and the roads n pavements are all white. Turning heavier as i speak, flakes are the smallest ive seen tho!

Posted
Fingers crossed for a polar low.

Mmmm...... Have a look at the Sat pics Here just off the NW coast of Norway. Am I seeing things or is that......(look for the circulation)

:rolleyes:

Edited by Snow Leopard

Posted
Mmmm...... Have a look at the Sat pics Here just off the NW coast of Norway. Am I seeing things or is that......(look for the circulation)

certainly looks like abit of circulation there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Skies clearing here at the moment. Temp -0.3C. Snowed here for over 5 hours but to show how light it was the total depth is 1-2 cms.

Now freezing up. Max today was 0.8C. Min -2.0C.

On Monday in one hour to the North West of Dundee I came through a snow shower that left the same depth of snow in 10 minutes.

However I hope this lasts for a lot longer and maybe gets added to.

Posted

Polar Low I'm doutbful of..this is a great read: http://www.zamg.ac.at/docu/Manual/SatManu/...Ms/PL/index.htm

Of course the train was late.

Wrong type of snow, I guess?!

Posted

I don't see it...either I'm blind what am I looking for?
Wrong type of snow, I guess?!
of course, small dusting and the trains spaz like a small two year old who had the telly switched off while watching tellytubbies.

Posted

of course, small dusting and the trains spaz like a small two year old who had the telly switched off while watching tellytubbies.

If you watch just to the northwest of norway, theres a small area of circulation moving south east.

Posted

If you look at the Infrared sat pic on that link and set it to loop you will see a circulatory pattern just off the coast of Norway. It has the distinctive comma shape. Must say though that DX is probably right, this one is caused by wind shear. Read the link he posted, it explains it well. I am probably just clutching at straws at the moment. <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
If you look at the Infrared sat pic on that link and set it to loop you will see a circulatory pattern just off the coast of Norway. It has the distinctive comma shape. Must say though that DX is probably right, this one is caused by wind shear. Read the link he posted, it explains it well. I am probably just clutching at straws at the moment. <_<

how far south do you think the east's snow will get?

Edited by cwpiper

Posted

Just looking at Metoffice rain radar and not looking all that good for Central areas at the moment. Although looking out the back towards the Ochil's it does look like more snow arriving.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!
Yea so you generally have more chance with the snow than moi in Prestonpans.

Snow stopped earlier, left a tiny layer of white everywhere but hopefully some proper snow later but i have my doubts :p

Hi yeah hoping that this undercutting is taking place to allow some nice beefy showers to happen overnight for us? who knows? it alway seems so marginal these days! ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
Hi yeah hoping that this undercutting is taking place to allow some nice beefy showers to happen overnight for us? who knows? it alway seems so marginal these days! :p

it looks like the northerly is setting up better the second time around tonight in the northeast

still a slight westerly here so there is the possibility of any heavy snow sticking around fife for a while as there is no wind ;):)

Posted
If you look at the Infrared sat pic on that link and set it to loop you will see a circulatory pattern just off the coast of Norway. It has the distinctive comma shape. Must say though that DX is probably right, this one is caused by wind shear. Read the link he posted, it explains it well. I am probably just clutching at straws at the moment. :p

AHA! I see it! thank you!

thanks for the link DX looks good shall have to make time to sit down and have a proper study.

Posted
how far south do you think the east's snow will get?

:lol: Is that a Gotcha :lol:

I think most will see some snow, that front will slowly edge southwards, and as it does the chances increase. Temp are dropping again and as far as I can see the cold air is just now passing over N Scotland. Million Dollar (Euro) question is how much? I honestly don't know, in my location it all depends how much of an Easterly component there is to it. Very, very rarely does a straight Northerly produce much in Edinburgh. Go 30 miles south or 60 miles north and you could get a good dumping. In tonight case I also think that the air is dryer and therefore total falls might be lower than expected.....but I hope I am wrong.

Posted

MetO just updated their forcast for my loc and are still saying heavy snow around midnight and light snow for the next 12 hrs. Wish I could see where this is comming from.

Posted

Looking at the UKMO rader in the 2 hours the band is shrinking? :D

East Kilbride Weather Station update at 21:20 GMT:

Still Snowing in EK :rofl:

Temp: -0.9c

Dew Point: -1.5c

Humidex: -3.5c

Wind Chill: -0.9c

Cloud Base: 910ft

Wind: WSW 5.8Mph

Guest Shetland Coastie
Going back to the Polar Low.

Play the fax chart sequence and look for Shetland, then just watch it go..is this a PL? Who knows, but interesting feature for sure:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=...s;type=fax;sess=

Hi DXR

Ive just spoken to Dave Wheeler, the forecaster at Northisles Weather, and this feature is, as I said before, a "lee low" forming off the Norwegian Coast. He tells me the last time one of these crossed over Shetland we got 25cms of snow!!

Posted
Hi DXR

Ive just spoken to Dave Wheeler, the forecaster at Northisles Weather, and this feature is, as I said before, a "lee low" forming off the Norwegian Coast. He tells me the last time one of these crossed over Shetland we got 25cms of snow!!

Remember and take some pix then! Lucky you if it comes off. :rofl:

Posted
But looks like the activity north seems to be beefing up

it does look good for an early morning snow event for aberdeenshire, tayside, east perthshire and quite possibly(hopefully) dundee,

fife and lothians(maybe)

i'm not sure, but it looks ok

as for a polar low, i have very little meteorological experience so all i know about polar lows is that they create lots and lots of snow

if there is one, is it likely to create havoc on mainland scotland?

and as for the air being dry i'm not sure but the dew point is quite close to the temperature- is that not a sign of quite wet air?

Edited by cwpiper