Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Posted

Seems this warning applies away from the coast!

What time do you expect the northerly to kick in?

A more positive note th temperature seems to be dropping now - 1600 was 2.0°, 1700 was 1.6°, 1800 1.5° - hope this trend continues - hault the slow thaw and these showers can turn to snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
Gail on Reporting Scotland @ 6.55pm (she is a little cutie :wub: ) mentions shed loads for Aberdeenshire.

Other notable areas were Edinburgh, eastern areas. The west looked like it had nothing..I'm inbetween east and west so dunno what I'll get - rain? LOL

Have to say I didn't buy that forecast at all for the south-east. At least not based on current synoptics, current radar etc

Although they do have access to a lot more data than us... the thing is when they're wrong they tend to stick with being wrong all the way to the bitter end.

I just don't see anything in the immediate next 12 hours that will see any eastern areas south of Aberdeenshire/Eastern Tayside getting any snow other than flakes in the wind !

Edited by by-tor

Posted
Gail on Reporting Scotland @ 6.55pm (she is a little cutie :wub: ) mentions shed loads for Aberdeenshire.

Other notable areas were Edinburgh, eastern areas. The west looked like it had nothing..I'm inbetween east and west so dunno what I'll get - rain? LOL

Have to say I didn't buy that forecast at all for the south-east. At least not based on current synoptics, current radar etc

Although they do have access to a lot more data than us... the thing is when they're wrong they tend to stick with being wrong all the way to the bitter end.

I just don't see anything in the immediate next 12 hours that will see any eastern areas south of Aberdeenshire/Eastern Tayside getting any snow other than flakes in the wind !

The graphics were poor, showing the heavier precip over the eastern side of the central belt when clearly it is out west!

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
yep this stuff is dying but more is coming from the north in the early hours

Got back home from work at about 17.45pm and it was and still is snowing lightly and steadily here in west Fife.

This small snow is falling in misty conditions and we currently have about a 1.5cm covering.The temperature is currently 0 Deg C. :lol:

Had a -6 Deg C this morning while leaving for work and very interestingly the temerature only climbed to -2.5 Deg C out in the middle of the Forth Road Bridge over the water! :wub:

Big Innes.

Posted
The graphics were poor, showing the heavier precip over the eastern side of the central belt when clearly it is out west!

Absolutely. They need to do a bit more looking out the window to see whats actually going on as opposed to what theoretically might occur if this or that happens.

Immediate threat looks to be on the west side of the country. How could she not mention that from a BBC studio in Glasgow ?

And after that, yes OK, the north-east, Tayside/Aberdeenshire etc . But I just don't see anything else happening later on for anyone else.

Edited by by-tor

Posted
Gail on Reporting Scotland @ 6.55pm (she is a little cutie :lol: ) mentions shed loads for Aberdeenshire.

Gail was in my class at uni, one of the few decent people in the class :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
Got back home from work at about 17.45pm and it was and still is snowing lightly and steadily here in west Fife.

This small snow is falling in misty conditions and we currently have about a 1.5cm covering.The temperature is currently 0 Deg C. :)

Had a -6 Deg C this morning while leaving for work and very interestingly the temerature only climbed to -2.5 Deg C out in the middle of the Forth Road Bridge over the water! :lol:

Big Innes.

tonight will be interesting for us

we may just be far north enough for it to get to us without fizzling out and looking at the radar the precip in the moray firth is looking a lot heavier than it was earlier

the northerly is just beginning to set itself up here as well so we could be in for some interesting weather in the early hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Hmmm..

Seems to be moving sw and fragmenting all the while...thinking nothing more for the central belt...

how about us?

we are slightly further east and north and the front might just make it here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Hi Dexter

We may be looking at a damp squib then!!

lets hope not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
Hi Dexter

lets hope not.

Did the BBC Scotland Forecast not say that it would intensify overnight? :)

Big Innes.

Posted
Hi Dexter

lets hope not.

To be honest, forecasting snow for the north with these likely northerly synoptics is a safe bet for the metoffice. Where they get it wrong time and time again is when they predict anything out of this south of Perth, Stirling etc. A few lucky places might get something filtering through during the night ... but the big white snow blob positioned over Edinburgh and the SE for the early hours struck me as most unlikely.

Posted

Ppt seems to be coming in more SSWerly than expected looking at the radar. 850's still somewhere around -5 at the moment so not the best for lower ground. Some heavy stuff heading for Inverness looking at the radar.

Meto is now saying sleet at most for Aberdeen tonight so we may have seen all we are going to here. Notice the small area of Scotland not coloured in orange on the meto warnings...

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
Ppt seems to be coming in more NNEerly than expected looking at the radar. 850's still somewhere around -5 at the moment so not the best for lower ground. Some heavy stuff heading for Inverness looking at the radar.

Meto is now saying sleet at most for Aberdeen tonight so we may have seen all we are going to here. Notice the small area of Scotland not coloured in orange on the meto warnings...

Yes but people in Aberdeen did not expect to wake up to blanket of snow this morning.

It's all very marginal but -5° 850's are not what you want to have on low ground.

The current patchy snow cover and more broken cloud should encourage tempratures to fall more though.

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
Well, if I wasn't married and she was single, and you still knew her, I'd PM ya! LOL :D

Gone off Sarah Palin then have you?

Posted
Yes but people in Aberdeen did not expect to wake up to blanket of snow this morning.

True - looks like it caught the council out as well - many people were saying there were no gritters out.

It's all very marginal but -5° 850's are not what you want to have on low ground.

The current patchy snow cover and more broken cloud should encourage tempratures to fall more though.

Looks like the temps are falling now (now 1 here), DPs will follow if it drops any more as they can't be higher than the temps. Marginal indeed - let's see how it looks in a few hours. First northerly in ages - after yet another easterly let down it would be a shame if this didn't live up to expectations. Fingers crossed for a polar low.

Posted

I am going cross-eyed looking at the rainfall and IR radars :D At first It looked to me that the front has to an extent stalled over Scotland, pushing that northerly flow away to the west. But if you look very carefully at the IR radar at Sat24 it looks to me that this flow is cutting in under the SW flow (if that makes sense). If so we might still get some snow but the temps need to drop as well. As I mentioned in a previous post mine has jumped up to 1C and DP 0C (from -1C and -2C an hour ago).

Posted
Hi superrangers, i'm further inland than you, nearer to Pencaitland side. Its snowing lightly here too!! lovely light covering already!!

Yea so you generally have more chance with the snow than moi in Prestonpans.

Snow stopped earlier, left a tiny layer of white everywhere but hopefully some proper snow later but i have my doubts :D

Posted
light snow here for the past half hour, slowly turning white:D

Nah, this can't be right, you always seem to get stuff when I don't! I am still dry here.