Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!
it does look good for an early morning snow event for aberdeenshire, tayside, east perthshire and quite possibly(hopefully) dundee,

fife and lothians(maybe)

i'm not sure, but it looks ok

as for a polar low, i have very little meteorological experience so all i know about polar lows is that they create lots and lots of snow

if there is one, is it likely to create havoc on mainland scotland?

Is this polar low what heather with the weather means when she says lots of snow for the east?? :D

Posted

Frustrating seeing the front want to fizzle as it reaches the english border with precipitation moving in a SW fashion into N Ireland - Cumbria once again will have to wait its turn, perhaps Sunday will be it?

Posted

After a day of heavy rain and sleet and snow just a mile further inland from me it is now snowing and blowing hard from the north straight off the Firth and according to the radar there is lots more to come. Whopee!! Jackpot !!!!!!! Temp -1c and ground completely white in last hour. Total whiteout outside just now with large flakes blowing about. Looks like nearly everyone in the UK is going to see proper snow this winter.

Posted

still snowing here, not amounting to alot tho, but its getting whiter!, maybes something nice by 2morra morning.

Guest Shetland Coastie

Im assured that what we see off the coast of Norway is a "lee low". The coast of Norway is moutainous. The wind was blowing from the North East. as the wind hits the mountainous coastline a low pressure system is formed in the "lee" (i.e. the sheltered side) of the mountains. Lee lows are unpredictable but can, like Polar Lows, produce huge dumps of snow. Thats as I understand it anyway. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Surely the 18z precipitation charts can't be right can they? If they are, it looks as if we are in for some snow to say the least!

Posted

This evening the temps dropped and we now have an almost a white out scenario........Current temps at around -1C

If this keeps up over night and the radar looks promising at the moment, we should have a good thick covering come morning. :D

Posted
Hi DXR

Ive just spoken to Dave Wheeler, the forecaster at Northisles Weather, and this feature is, as I said before, a "lee low" forming off the Norwegian Coast. He tells me the last time one of these crossed over Shetland we got 25cms of snow!!

As an amateur I have not heard of a lee low unless associated with topographical features before, is this then the same as a "comma low"?

as for a polar low, i have very little meteorological experience so all i know about polar lows is that they create lots and lots of snow

if there is one, is it likely to create havoc on mainland scotland?

If a PL passes close to or over GB, then yes significant snowfall

Is this polar low what heather with the weather means when she says lots of snow for the east?? :D

Missed that one but yes a "lee low" could also cause a significant snowfall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Evening.

The very lightest of falls began here about an hour ago. Just a mm now, but lying. Can hardly see it on the radar. Not getting excited, but any snow is good snow...

T was -4 at 7 pm, climed to -1.4 as the ppn approached.

Posted
Im assured that what we see off the coast of Norway is a "lee low". The coast of Norway is moutainous. The wind was blowing from the North East. as the wind hits the mountainous coastline a low pressure system is formed in the "lee" (i.e. the sheltered side) of the mountains. Lee lows are unpredictable but can, like Polar Lows, produce huge dumps of snow. Thats as I understand it anyway. :D

Thanks SC, just seen your comment on the "lee low". That explains the topographical connection. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: COLD AND SNOWY

ayr here again and its still +1.1 on weather station and its been drizzle not snow for past 5 hours off and on very disapointing hopefully the direction off the front coming down from the moray firth at mom with the heavy precipitation will meander this way cause this is just mince - i know its the gulf stream here but no snow so far this :wallbash:winter apart from a flurry monday morning

Posted

Looking at the latest UKMO radar at 22:00 the band north west of Glasgow is weakening which will move south overnight and on the other hand NE Scotland perp is very very Heavy. :D

Posted
Looking at the latest UKMO radar at 22:00 the band north west of Glasgow is weakening which will move south overnight and on the other hand NE Scotland perp is very very Heavy. :lol:

I have also been watching that for the past hour or so. Quite a rapid build up.

Posted
Posted
Hi yeah hoping that this undercutting is taking place to allow some nice beefy showers to happen overnight for us? who knows? it alway seems so marginal these days! :lol:

Yea i know what you mean. But at least it has snowed today so we know its cold enough and temp at 0.6 here and dewpoint around -1. Precipitation looking better now if that band in the north heads our way. Just watched BBC Foecast at 10:35 and they now have the snow over us from say 2am until about 3pm tomorrow afternoon so ample chance for a few cm's to fall hopefully.

Bring on the next easterly :(

Posted
ayr here again and its still +1.1 on weather station and its been drizzle not snow for past 5 hours off and on very disapointing hopefully the direction off the front coming down from the moray firth at mom with the heavy precipitation will meander this way cause this is just mince - i know its the gulf stream here but no snow so far this :wallbash:winter apart from a flurry monday morning

still got snow here, and the gritters have just been down this street, so they must be doing ALL roads, last time they done this street, the snow was more than knee deep!

Guest Shetland Coastie

Dewpoint is below freezing now at -1.1C and we have about 1cm of lying snow. Beefy showers and very nippy in between. :o

Regarding lee-lows, heres a rather wordy explanation from the American Meteorological Societys Glossary:

Lee Low

Edited by Shetland Coastie

Posted

Bands of Snow Showers moving south from the north:

Fri 6th Feb 09 00:00 GMT: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/charts/FSXX00T_48.jpg

Fri 6th Feb 09 12:00 GMT: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/charts/FSXX00T_60.jpg

Sat 7th Feb 09 12:00 GMT: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/charts/FSXX00T_84.jpg

Although things can change at anytime at the UKMO charts.

Edited by East Kilbride Blizzards

Posted

Never mind "lee low" to the North there is also now a circulatory pattern East of Aberdeen. Pressure charts showing this as a trough at the moment.

Posted

20:30 GMT UKMO Radar perp north of Glasgow the band is becoming even narrower and while NE Scotland Heavy Snow Showers.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!
Yea i know what you mean. But at least it has snowed today so we know its cold enough and temp at 0.6 here and dewpoint around -1. Precipitation looking better now if that band in the north heads our way. Just watched BBC Foecast at 10:35 and they now have the snow over us from say 2am until about 3pm tomorrow afternoon so ample chance for a few cm's to fall hopefully.

Bring on the next easterly :D

Lets hope so, keeping fingers crossed.

Well time for me to sign off, will check in again after school run in the morning.

Posted

Tese 2 charts is something to watch for into next week weekend end:

16th feb 09

http://gfs.netweather.tv/gfs.20090204/18/288/h850t850eu.png

17th feb 09

http://images.netweather.tv/monthly_02_200...-1233787335.png

Edited by East Kilbride Blizzards

Posted

This must be the worst place in the world for snow at our latitude :) I couldn't believe it was raining given the temps and dewpoints earlier on, but then when the moisture comes in it gets milder :) . If it's cold enough there's never enough moisture and when there's enough moisture it's never cold enough!

I think I'm gonnae give up snow-hoping altogether and become a summer man instead. Roll on 33C in Ayr! At least there's a better chance with global warming :D