Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Se England & E Anglia

Well I had to get out of bed as heavy snow is now falling and I have a covering.

Good to see Dave- As i think we had both predicted the Snow has been further South-

Pity it couldnt be sustained as snow for the whole for the Whole of the SE-

Maf- @ Home-

Friday continues to look interesting, especially for the Counties adjacent to the North/ NW & NE of London, although ever so slowly it looks colder & colder SE V where the snowline was supposed to be-

A stunning couple of days, Ice day Saturday - Harsh & penetrating Frost with perhaps the chance of more snow snow If that shortwave tilts & comes in at more of an accute angle-

GFS looks to be over progging that low & bringing it to far North Tues-

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

Friday not looking too bad right now for the SE, will be coming back midday Friday to Essex so things should be really cooking by the the I'm back home. Got a good undercut on the 0z GFS by Friday afternoon and woyld imagine if the front does take its time on getting away the cold air could be in place by early midday...indeed in the western part of the region maybe even as early as Friday morning.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Put this in the Eats Mids thread and then realised I was the only on there!

Very heavy snow here in Northampton now - 3 cm so far - 2 cm in the last 1/2 hour. Temp -2, dew -3, couple of hours of this and there will be chaos in the morning.

Stewart

Another 1 cm in the 20 mins since I posted

Posted

In oxford we have had heavy snow for hours now and have an amazing thick covering on everything. It's wet, super sticky snow too. Bikes and trees look wonderful, completely smothered in the stuff. The ppn seems to be tilting now though, and we're right at the turning point, so hoping it doesn't all pivto around us and we miss the huge area of intense ppn coming up.

Posted

Good to see Dave- As i think we had both predicted the Snow has been further South-

Pity it couldnt be sustained as snow for the whole for the Whole of the SE-

S

Cheers Steve.

I must admit the 3.00am radar had me concerned but since then a nice area of intensification has occured around my region.

Just had a quick peek at the 0Z for thurs night/fri and its looking superb. I must admit im on the edge of the main area of precip as it moves NE although after tonight this doesn't worry me.

Have to say this cold spell is beginning to remind me of the 80's. Just when you think the snow events are over, further snow events suddenly appear.

If the snow continues and im not too tired I shall take some pics.

Amazing snow now. I already have more lying snow in 15mins compared to Sun/Mon put together.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

Looking at radar and satellite image surely there is a small low forming at eastern end of the Thames estuary and moving slowly NE. This could help the front to stall and lead to more prolonged snow just North of London.

Stewart

Edited by swilliam

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

I left Highbury (inner north London) at 3.30 am, it was heavy sleet. As I drove down south it gradually turned to rain and lightened.

Currently (4.30 am) here in Putney (inner south) it's +1.8C (from a minimum of +0.2) and just a little light rain, alas - though at least that gives us a sporting chance of our first postal delivery since Saturday. "I have to consider the safety of our staff above everything" said the manager I managed to track down, though the way she talked it sounded like she wouldn't allow the poor dears out on the street till every scrap of snow was gone from the pavement. God give me strength.

End of rant - and sorry, way off-topic. I'll go back in my box, now.

Ossie

Edit: 5 am, temp holding steady at +1.8C, but rain - and only rain - now much heavier

Edited by osmposm

Posted

Has been snowing hard since 4. 00 here and looking at the radar it doesn't look as if it's moving much. Temp is dropping. This is the most we have had in this area this year as yet.

:lol:

post-2606-1233812629_thumb.jpg

post-2606-1233812661_thumb.jpg

Edited by philukxp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I caught some shut eye, and got up again fully expecting to see the snow'd been washed away by rain, but no, it's still lying — pictures in the morning. :lol:

My MetO gizmo's had a chance to refresh and there's still no warning of any description for Suffolk, I suppose we are at the western edge of it, but anyone further east from me got any reports? it might well be chaos on the A14 tomorrow.

I must say cheers to BBC Beta, they were the only ones to have 'heavy snow' for my area through yesterday for tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.

Morning all :lol: ,

Here in St. Ives, we already have much more than the last snow 'event' gave us :(

Posted

OMG - I've just had a call from my head teacher.... I thought this was going to miss us but we've ended up with worse (or is that better!) snow than Monday!!!! It is VERY VERY TREACHEROUS, the new snow has fallen on top of the old, which is frozen and the teachers that could get in on Monday can't even get off their drives this morning..... the roads are going to be very empty this morning... good luck everyone!!!!!

I will get out with the camera a bit later.

Edited by nej1965

Posted

At the moment we have around 6 inches of snow which has fallen within 2hrs and its still snowing heavily!

Once it gets light I shall be posting my pics.

Posted

Snow outside here in Reading, probably as much as on Monday. I'm about to head off to a client in Dover, but I can't see it being a problem; looks like very wet snow that will be fairly easy to drive on - I've driven on much worse in the States!

Posted
At the moment we have around 6 inches of snow which has fallen within 2hrs and its still snowing heavily!

Once it gets light I shall be posting my pics.

Morning TEITS,

We have possibly two inches here, although sadly the snow has eased off somewhat, and could be turning slightly sleety...

Posted
It's snowing!!!!!!!!!!! A couple of inches which has settled on the old snow and ice! roads are not gritted.

Tis indeedy. I really didn't think that after the end of October event and earlier this week, that we were due anything else. But I'm very glad we were! :cold:

Posted

Just woken up to find that another 3 to 4 cms of snow has fallen here overnight, thought we were only due sleet/rain..??

NW Weather Radar does show that a small amount of snow fell around 22:00 but then apparently turned to sleet and subsequently rain for the rest of the night. As the areas of sleet and rain are bordered by straight lines is this a manual input? Unlike Sunday/Monday's it's wet snow this time but with the OAT a half a deg. C or so above the FP there is still no evidence of a thaw just yet.

Edited by hellyk

Posted

Apparently roads are barely passable in Cambridge and still light snow/maybe turning to sleet here.

Day off methinks and a few pics to be taken

Posted
Apparently roads are barely passable in Cambridge and still light snow/maybe turning to sleet here.

Day off methinks and a few pics to be taken

Hello fellow St. Ives resident :cold: ,

I wish I could take the day off, I drive for Stagecoach In The Fens, I start at 1043 and finish at 2345 today, including three runs to/from Cambridge...